Jeremy Abbott Better Prepared for the Mens Competition | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott Better Prepared for the Mens Competition

dress

On the Ice

Zamboni

On the Ice
Human zamboni?? That's mean and funny at the same time :scratch:. I hope he will perform better to stop the bashing in the US medias.

I hope he performs better, too. I did think the "human zamboni" comment was kind of funny, though.

Laetitia Hubert now has some SERIOUS competition for her title as The Human Zamboni.

Hahaha. I never did care for Laetitia's skating at all.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I accepted a few days ago that Abbott would implode embarrassing himself and his fans. I will cry less this way when it happens.

meem

On the Ice
And if he'd checked into a hotel on Day One? His excuse for screwing up then would've been that he should have been more relaxed, stayed with his fellow athletes in the Village & had some fun, to chill out & not be so uptight, etc., etc., etc. It's always something with Jeremy. Fingers crossed that he retires immediately after the Olympics.

I do not dislike any skater, and I hope Jeremy puts out two great performances. But.…this boy should never, ever, ever, give an interview or open his mouth in public. He reminds me of the old joke, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I do not dislike any skater, and I hope Jeremy puts out two great performances. But.…this boy should never, ever, ever, give an interview or open his mouth in public. He reminds me of the old joke, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

He sure does not help himself.

I very much fear you are right. By all accounts he's gracious in private, very nice with fans, but as a public speaker he does not gleam. It's too bad he's not part of a pair, or he could be one of those couples where the partner does all the talking.

Zamboni

On the Ice
The sad thing is that he seems like a nice person, and he is so talented. I just wish that at Olympics and Worlds he would really lay down some great programs. Live up to your potential, Jeremy, before you retire!

noskates

Record Breaker
I wish Jeremy could lay down 2 skates like he did at Nationals. He has it in him. But I agree - he comes off in interviews like an immature goof. And at his age that's a bit much to take. I really think he's just one of those skaters that doesn't compete well when he has pressure on him. I would love to see him perform and shut up the naysayers - and then retire!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ridiculous part of all this is that he's nine years older than his teammate - and Jason doesn't seem to be having any of these problems. In fact, by rights you would think the 19 year old being let loose in the Olympic Village would have the most problems!

Jason nearly quit skating when he was 13 or 14 because he didn't feel like he could handle his nerves. Look at him now!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really think he's just one of those skaters that doesn't compete well when he has pressure on him.

If that were true though, then one would think he would always tank at Nationals where the pressure to make the Olympic and World team is much greater than any pressure he should experience at an Olympics or Worlds. Yet at 2 unbelievably pressure packed pre-Olympics Nationals, he won the US men's championship and completely schooled Evan Lysacek and the rest in 2010 beating Lysacek by 25 points and then perfectly executed the most technically demanding SP ever in US men's figure skating history in 2014 setting a Nationals record in the process. Jeremy has the highest SP, LP, and overall scores ever recorded at US Nationals. He shouldn't have pressure at the Olympics as he is not expected to medal at all internationally. I think Jeremy just loses focus easily and he has admitted to this in interviews. It's like he doubts himself because he knows he's not expected to win Olympic or World gold. I have no expectations for Jeremy and he really should treat his skating the same way. He should just remember why he enjoys and loves skating in the first place. Forget results, forget expectations, and just focus on concentrating and skating a personal best.

andyjo24

Medalist
He is a such a kid. :sarcasm: He didn't train hard enough for the team competition, and that he's going to begin training hard for the short program just a few days before the individual? Jeez. It really makes me sick that a skater who always makes excuses like him won a bronze medal when others who are much more deserving didn't.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Is it wrong to now say, "apparently not"? I love Jeremy's skating style and *if* he could do the jumps, he could be a contender. But he's a "head case" (I mean skatingwise, not lifewise) and can't do it when it counts. I think he focuses on too many silly things-like bringing his own mattress to Sochi-instead of just skating. It's a shame, really.