2014 Olympics Short Dance | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx for starting the thread, Mrs. P.

I know that some are very enamored of the stand-alone time conversion site.

FWIW, the built-in time converter on the Sochi2014.com event pages is even more convenient, IMHO.
On the same line as the start date/time near the top of the page, look to the right for Time Zone. The link there will toggle btwn Sochi time and one's own local time. :)

ETA:

The draw for the Short Dance will be:
February 14, 2014 12:30 Sochi time.​

Until then, the entry list (again, not starting order) is here:

Tesla

Final Flight
Thx for starting the thread, Mrs. P.

I know that some are very enamored of the stand-alone time conversion site.

FWIW, the built-in time converter on the Sochi2014.com event pages is even more convenient, IMHO.
On the same line as the start date/time near the top of the page, look to the right for Time Zone. The link there will toggle btwn Sochi time and one's own local time. :)

Yeah, that's awesome.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This will be crucial for the bronze hopes of P&B especialy. Their SD hasnt been very strong most of this season, but in the Team Event it was excellent, narrowly losing to B&S. If they are in the final flight, they have a good shot at the bronze, as their FD has been their strength all season. However if they dont have an excellent SD they could be pushed out of the final flight by I&K, B&S, W&P, and even C&L. A team who isnt in the final flight wont medal IMO.

It is also crucial for I&K and W&P to establish themselves as being in the hunt for the bronze going into the FD. B&S and P&B go in as the bronze favorites.

B&S on the other hand might need to build a lead of a couple points or more on those others to win the bronze. I dont see them being in the top 3 in the FD based on their season so far.

As for the gold, V&M need to stay within a point of D&W minimum after the SD or it is over.

tulosai

Record Breaker
As for the gold, V&M need to stay within a point of D&W minimum after the SD or it is over.

Honestly, at this point, I pretty much think D/W just need to stay on their feet. He has fallen before in competition, but not recently. If he can avoid it, they've got this.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I personally think that a lot of depends on draw for SD...Maybe I'm stupid or paranoid but IMO Tessa and Scott have to be clean as much as possible AND skate AFTER Davis and White to get a shot to leading. If they will be 2nd after SD by small margin, their only chance to do something is to skate FD after Americans...

As for battle for bronze it is also important for Weaver/Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat whether they skate befor or after Bobrova/Soloviev and Elena and Nikita

During the team event Davis/White seemed so far ahead of Virtue/Moir, gold looks like a done deal now. V/M should worry about not falling behind one of the Russian teams at this point. I was almost expecting them to be placed 3rd in the Team Event FD.

Imagine if judges actually placed V/M below B/S or I/K. The outrage would be :popcorn:.

caitie

Medalist
Davis/White got two Level 3s in the Team Event. Meryl missed the second key point of their first Finnstep pattern, and ofc they got a Level 3 on their step sequence, which hasn't received a Level 4 in international competition all season except at the GPF, which had a generous tech panel. If V/M can eek out a level 4 on their step sequence and get it together on their twizzles, they can beat Meryl and Charlie. Their short dance was perfected awhile ago, whereas Meryl and Charlie have kept fiddling with theirs, plus it's a touch better and has more character, even if they were outperformed by D/W in the team event.

I do think D/W added more character to their short dance since December, and Charlie's performance level in particular is a lot improved. I think they even added some sparkly sounds to their music to accent the new moment when Meryl turns to Charlie and he puts his hand over his heart in the step sequence, obviously trying to emulate some of the character V/M has in their dance. It's helping. And I figure there will definitely be some inertia in PCS carrying over between the events, since inertia and figure skating scoring go hand-in-hand.

But yeah, V/M reallyyy need to win the Short Dance if they are going to have a chance. It's their stronger program, and they need the win to change the narrative of this season. So they need to be technically perfect, perform the hell out of their cute short dance, convince the judges it's better... and probably they need Meryl and Charlie to be off their technical game and/or let the pressure get to them and affect their performance level. I really hope that doesn't happen, though!

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Honestly, at this point, I pretty much think D/W just need to stay on their feet. He has fallen before in competition, but not recently. If he can avoid it, they've got this.

I agree. I love V/M but they're only getting gold if D/W make a mjor mistake, like a fall. They might as well hand out the medals now.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Their short dance was perfected awhile ago, whereas Meryl and Charlie have kept fiddling with theirs, plus it's a touch better and has more character, even if they were outperformed by D/W in the team event.

V/M's SD does have more character, but it is not the right character IMO. D/W really do carry the Finnstep mood all along. Check Petri Kokko's reaction. V/M's SD, while fun and lovely, is not really in the character of Finnstep.

That midline step sequence has been an issue with D/W all season long, which is quite surprising considering how incredible their non-touching steps have always been. I think in the SD it will be down to the levels. D/W's win in FD is as certain as the sun rising, unless they bomb badly.

bramweld

Record Breaker
so starting order is up - http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/SEG007.HTM

bad, bad, bad draw for Tessa and Scott...no chance to leading and even they should be worried that they'll skate before both russian pairs...Good draw for Nathalie and Fabian and Kaitlyn and Andrew I think

Unless of course they are less nervous not being in the final flight and just lay down an excellent skate :)

It is B/S that have the bad draw I think. They are technically competent skaters but their program is sort of bland compared to W/P, P/B, D/W and I/K. They go before all four of these pairs.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well from the Tessa and Scott show, Tessa admitted to trying too hard when around D/W. So maybe having a little breathing room might work to their advantage. Maybe it will help them skate the way they did at GPF.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
On an up note, given the list of competitors, Hurtado and Diaz have an excellent chance of making the FD. I really want to see the Picasso program again--this time I hope with no falls.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Throughout their history it seems V/M skate better when they skate before D/W... In fact besides the team competition I cannot recall a time where they had a bad skate skating before them. They have no pressure. V/M actually have a very good draw and they do not have the pressure of skating right after one of the Russian couples. Bad draw for Chock and Bates, The Italians and The Shibutani's

tulosai

Record Breaker
i've never seen a weirder draw in my life, v/m and the shiblings' positions are baffling

I think the top 2 groups draw together so no, V/M's draw is not baffling once you know that. It could have as easily been D/W in the second to last group. In men, Chan AND Hanyu were both in the second to last group in the SP for this reason. I am a little confused that the Shibs evidently are ranked behind Coombs and Buckland and the Germans, but such is life.

I am of the opinion that this is indeed a bad draw for V/M. I take the point that they tend to do better skating before D/W but it would have been INFINITELY better if they were still in the final group. This is, IMO them skating too early period. The judges are going to unconsciously save some room for D/W. This would probably have happened to whichever team skated first but the effect will be magnified now.

Also obviously a bad draw for B/S but at least they are last in the second to last group. We will see.

D/W have lucked out.