Thread: How embarrassed are you for Goldenskate forums not working during the most important time

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

How embarrassed are you for Goldenskate forums not working during the most important time

It's the Olympics. People want to come here. But the forums don't work most of the time.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "most embarrassed possible", please vote your displeasure.

I vote a 9.

Custard Title
    8. It seems the admins don't actually want too much traffic as it will kill their site. So much for the talk of ad revenue.

Custom Title

Oh wait, sorry. 141.51. Should be more like 135ish, but I'm over-scoring because I'm generally pissy right now at the weather.

We've moved to a new server without charging anyone a penny despite the exorbitant rates. I'm feeling mighty darn proud. Thanks for your support.

Thank you, gsk8 and Co. I know that it gets crazy around tehse times and the forum was working great this morning!

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    I thought this thread seems a little harsh, this is a free site, people aren't doing this because it's convenient or economically viable. I was annoyed I couldn't post but I'm sure the admins are more annoyed than us that all their hard work was going to waste because of problems with the site. They fixed both a slow server problem and a mass spam attack. I think they did a pretty great job. -10 being not embarrassed with positive GOE to the admins for being quick.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's the Olympics. People want to come here. But the forums don't work most of the time.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "most embarrassed possible", please vote your displeasure.

I vote a 9.
    Your thread title: How embarrassed are you for Goldenskate forums not working during the most important time

A better question is: How embarrassed am I for YOU that you are so rude and that you felt the need to start such a thread? Answer: At least an 11.

My displeasure is only with you. Not with GS.

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    We've moved to a new server without charging anyone a penny despite the exorbitant rates. I'm feeling mighty darn proud. Thanks for your support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thank you, gsk8 and Co. I know that it gets crazy around tehse times and the forum was working great this morning!
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    I thought this thread seems a little harsh, this is a free site, people aren't doing this because it's convenient or economically viable. I was annoyed I couldn't post but I'm sure the admins are more annoyed than us that all their hard work was going to waste because of problems with the site. They fixed both a slow server problem and a mass spam attack. I think they did a pretty great job. -10 being not embarrassed with positive GOE to the admins for being quick.
    Thx to gsk8 and the mods. Some us do appreciate very much that GS is available at no charge.

Ditto to what Mrs. P and zamboni step said above.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    During the only actual figure skating event today, when one would expect traffic to be heaviest, there was essentially no delay in loading. Yes, the delay during prior days was annoying. But it happens. And they fixed with the server move and have been very good about acquiescing to requests for sticky threads in the Olympics forum so they're easier to find. As annoying as the delay was, it's over and whining about it isn't going to do anything.

Custom Title
    Don't understand why this thread exists. Should be happy that this forum is free and you don't have to pay a membership fee *coughFSUcough*

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I thought it said frustrated and I still only put a 7. I wasn't embarrassed at all. In fact because of GS I've found links to many international events not broadcast here in the states and found others who enjoy this sport as much as me to gain insight from. If the thread were how would you judge GS I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    ad revenue.
    Well, yes, this was my thought. I'd hope the site and forum generates more than enough ad revenue to sustain itself at all times. I mean, GS should be the #1 figure skating resource online. The #1 site doesn't shut down during the most important time of the quadrennial.

Maybe this thread was a little mean, maybe I'm a little pushy, or maybe I actually care the most? *ponder*

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Well, yes, this was my thought. I'd hope the site and forum generates more than enough ad revenue to sustain itself at all times. I mean, GS should be the #1 figure skating resource online. The #1 site doesn't shut down during the most important time of the quadrennial.

Maybe this thread was a little mean, maybe I'm a little pushy, or maybe I actually care the most? *ponder*
    Um no. Seriously get off your high horse. I'm sure the GS folks have been working at all hours trying to get the new serve up-and-running AND dealing with the spam while they were installing said servers.

And for the record ad revenue on the Internet doesn't pay that much......

Website issues happen for all sites, not just GS. At most we dealt with a few day of inconvenience. Just be glad it's working now.

LOL, why are you getting mad at me. It's also quite rude to presume how much I care about the well-being of the site. In my experience ad revenue does pay enough but then I don't know the numbers GS is working with when it comes to traffic vs ad revenue, nor the service provider. Perhaps a problem is that GS isn't setup well enough. Hopefully this thread can just make those in charge consider different options to safeguard for the future. Something I could help with. But then again apparently I don't care enough to volunteer any time/knowledge were it requested...

(btw, this thread title is so over the top that it can't possibly be 100% serious)

Wow, this is so rude I can't believe it. This is a free site. Yes there were problems, but the site is on different servers now. Whether the ads will be sufficient to cover the cost of being on different servers remains to be seen. I have been on a number of different websites over the years where it became necessary to pay for access to various threads due to high volume at different times....FSU is one of them.

Thanks to the mods/admins for all of the work it takes to move a site and then for cleaning up all the spam!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I'm not embarrassed at all...as others have said, I'm grateful for the great content that is accessible for free.

What I am admittedly annoyed at are the visitors who only come during the Olympics. If there were more consistent traffic on a regular basis, then Golden Skate could more easily provide the resources for such peak times, but the regulars have to suffer the downtime/traffic overload along with them. I know it's not a gracious sentiment, but that's how I feel. No fault directed at Golden Skate.