Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Four More Years for Wagner

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Ashley's said in the past that she wanted a 'long career', mentioning Joannie Rochette as a role model. She's never spoken about retirement though I feared she *could* drop the bomb at the end of this season, after having the Olympic dream come true. I think a Worlds medal is Ashley's unfinished business. She came very close in 2012 (and should have bumped Alena Leonova off the podium in my opinion). The consistency of Gracie Gold and Adelina Sotnikova is the unknown factor here, to have an idea as to what kind of success is possible, as well as that 3-3. Practice report are always great, and she *has* gotten credit for it a couple times this season, but it's not very consistent in competition. That could still come if she get more mileage on it (especially if it's clean in practice all the time).
    I don't really expect to see her at the next Olympics, but someone mentioned 2016 Worlds in Boston.
    True she could capitalize on her McKayla Marony-like fame and good looks to make money through other things than skating, but skating is what she loves and as skating fans, shouldn't we applaud that she prefers
    to put her ambitions on the ice?
    Very well put and ITA.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think so too. It's a big competition to lose to Gold at, but then again, it's hard to say if Gold can maintain her consistency post-Olympics (I mean, look at Mirai).
    Gold has much better technique that Nagasu, which will, to quote Dick Button, likely "stand her in good stead." Gracie isn't prone to the underrotations that plagued Mirai's career. Plus, Gracie seemingly has that killer instinct that Mirai has long lacked.

I think Gracie's a lot more solid than Mirai was. I think Gracie's a lot more solid than other young talents right now, actually. I wouldn't have been able to say it last year, but we've seen Gracie at seniors for two seasons now and she seems to be improving steadily and and more than that, I can sense that she's committed. I feel like she'd have longevity.

Ashley probably does, too, and I wish her all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Thank you posters for mitigating a pretty mean remark. I cannot understand why people come in here and totally trash a skater. Only Ashley (like Plushenko, Joubert, etc. etc.) knows when she should quit. If she wins Nationals next year it will be because she's worked hard and is better than her competitors.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    I think Gracie's a lot more solid than Mirai was. I think Gracie's a lot more solid than other young talents right now, actually. I wouldn't have been able to say it last year, but we've seen Gracie at seniors for two seasons now and she seems to be improving steadily and and more than that, I can sense that she's committed. I feel like she'd have longevity.
    That's one thing about Gold - she is driven and determined to succeed. Not intended as a knock on her but I notice ever since she went to Carroll she's lost a lot of her edginess and persona and has become a lot more generic (for lack of better word) so to speak. Wagner now stands out in interviews and I appreciate her candor even more now. Ice princess = boring. But no mistaking that Gold is just as determined if not more so. Just doesn't show it any more.

^^^
    She got in trouble for the "fist pump" at the end of her team performance. "Ladies don't fist pump"

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You people seriously thing 22/23 is old? Seriously?

Butyrskaya? Malinina?
    And Carolina is 27, Akiko 28. I hope at some point in Ashley's career, she does Firebird. I love the music, and I think she'd make an excellent lady firebird! Sans the actual feathers, please.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4