Four More Years for Wagner | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Four More Years for Wagner

vegarin

On the Ice
I think the best bet in ladies is to assume nothing.
That's a good point. For every Caro (and there are not many of her for sure), there's...well, too many skaters who we thought would stay for a long time but didn't.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The reason I'm a bit optimistic for Ashley is that there isn't much depth in the US ladies at the moment. It isn't hard to imagine her among the top 3 nationally for at least a couple of years. I don't think she will ever medal at Worlds but it isn't out of the realm of possibility either because we sometimes see surprises on the podium (Leonova, Meissner, etc.)

Heck, she finished 4th this year after a struggle. She was also INCREDIBLY lucky last year as she struggled there too. USFS gave her a pass this time but I'm unsure if they will be so generous the next time she places out of the top 3 (or 2).

ANYTHING can happen at Nationals. Nothing is a done deal, like I've been saying to those who thought she had it in the bag this year.

Like I said last season, it wasn't a matter of IF, but WHEN Gold would overtake Wagner as the US #1.

[Gold is] still developing artistically and while she has delivered cleaner skates this year, it's still rare for her to do a long program without a major mistake. Let's see how the individual event and Worlds turn out.

This is true. IIRC, her skate at the Oly team event is the first time she's ever done a clean FS in international comp...if she can repeat that skate in the individual event she may have a shot at a medal. Of course, depends on how she does in the SP.

I dunno - I think Gold is competing better than she used to, and if she develops consistency, she'll leave Wagner behind probably for good. Otherwise, the door will always be open.

I'd like to see how Gold responds to being "the undisputed U.S. #1" next week in the individual event, before handing over the reins. Who knows what can happen when she's no longer the (U.S.) underdog.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Good point. Although I really hope she can hold it together because in my view, any US road to a medal, should any such thing open up, goes through Gold and not Wagner.

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley's said in the past that she wanted a 'long career', mentioning Joannie Rochette as a role model. She's never spoken about retirement though I feared she *could* drop the bomb at the end of this season, after having the Olympic dream come true. I think a Worlds medal is Ashley's unfinished business. She came very close in 2012 (and should have bumped Alena Leonova off the podium in my opinion). The consistency of Gracie Gold and Adelina Sotnikova is the unknown factor here, to have an idea as to what kind of success is possible, as well as that 3-3. Practice report are always great, and she *has* gotten credit for it a couple times this season, but it's not very consistent in competition. That could still come if she get more mileage on it (especially if it's clean in practice all the time).
I don't really expect to see her at the next Olympics, but someone mentioned 2016 Worlds in Boston.
True she could capitalize on her McKayla Marony-like fame and good looks to make money through other things than skating, but skating is what she loves and as skating fans, shouldn't we applaud that she prefers to put her ambitions on the ice?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ashley's said in the past that she wanted a 'long career', mentioning Joannie Rochette as a role model. She's never spoken about retirement though I feared she *could* drop the bomb at the end of this season, after having the Olympic dream come true. I think a Worlds medal is Ashley's unfinished business. She came very close in 2012 (and should have bumped Alena Leonova off the podium in my opinion). The consistency of Gracie Gold and Adelina Sotnikova is the unknown factor here, to have an idea as to what kind of success is possible, as well as that 3-3. Practice report are always great, and she *has* gotten credit for it a couple times this season, but it's not very consistent in competition. That could still come if she get more mileage on it (especially if it's clean in practice all the time).
I don't really expect to see her at the next Olympics, but someone mentioned 2016 Worlds in Boston.
True she could capitalize on her McKayla Marony-like fame and good looks to make money through other things than skating, but skating is what she loves and as skating fans, shouldn't we applaud that she prefers
to put her ambitions on the ice?

Very well put and ITA.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think so too. It's a big competition to lose to Gold at, but then again, it's hard to say if Gold can maintain her consistency post-Olympics (I mean, look at Mirai).

Gold has much better technique that Nagasu, which will, to quote Dick Button, likely "stand her in good stead." Gracie isn't prone to the underrotations that plagued Mirai's career. Plus, Gracie seemingly has that killer instinct that Mirai has long lacked.

vegarin

On the Ice
I think Gracie's a lot more solid than Mirai was. I think Gracie's a lot more solid than other young talents right now, actually. I wouldn't have been able to say it last year, but we've seen Gracie at seniors for two seasons now and she seems to be improving steadily and and more than that, I can sense that she's committed. I feel like she'd have longevity.

Ashley probably does, too, and I wish her all the best.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you posters for mitigating a pretty mean remark. I cannot understand why people come in here and totally trash a skater. Only Ashley (like Plushenko, Joubert, etc. etc.) knows when she should quit. If she wins Nationals next year it will be because she's worked hard and is better than her competitors.

:agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Gracie's a lot more solid than Mirai was. I think Gracie's a lot more solid than other young talents right now, actually. I wouldn't have been able to say it last year, but we've seen Gracie at seniors for two seasons now and she seems to be improving steadily and and more than that, I can sense that she's committed. I feel like she'd have longevity.

That's one thing about Gold - she is driven and determined to succeed. Not intended as a knock on her but I notice ever since she went to Carroll she's lost a lot of her edginess and persona and has become a lot more generic (for lack of better word) so to speak. Wagner now stands out in interviews and I appreciate her candor even more now. Ice princess = boring. But no mistaking that Gold is just as determined if not more so. Just doesn't show it any more.

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^
She got in trouble for the "fist pump" at the end of her team performance. "Ladies don't fist pump" :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
You people seriously thing 22/23 is old? Seriously?

Butyrskaya? Malinina?

And Carolina is 27, Akiko 28. I hope at some point in Ashley's career, she does Firebird. I love the music, and I think she'd make an excellent lady firebird! Sans the actual feathers, please.