ABC cut Lambiel !!!! | Golden Skate

ABC cut Lambiel !!!!

sarahmistral

On the Ice
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infuriating, isn't it? All to bring us a fluff piece on how poor China is; who gives a $%# about one of the evening's stellar performances, one which contributed to the enormous pressure on the gold medal favorites as they took the ice...GRRRRRRRRR!:mad:
Anywhoo, you can probably find it on

www.somebodyelseslife.com/figureskating

tomorrow; so far I saw that Joubert and Plushenko's FS are there and online at the moment. Lambiel is sure to follow, as are a few others.

Cheers!

Sarah

soogar

Record Breaker
You know, I've been to China and they're pretty well fed now. The three dumpling bit really got me. Somewhere there was a small violin playing.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
LOL Soogar

I'm sure it was the world's SMALLEST violin :laugh:

So foolish; let me see...hmmm...tough one...four minutes of brilliance from Lambiel, or outdated ragging on China....four minutes of brilliance from Lambiel, or outdated ragging on China...:rolleye:

I'm telling you, spoiled or not, I feel like the Eurosport broadcast, no images and all, gave me more since it included every skater and was live, in the moment, and you could tell that they were enjoying every second of it--they were calling it like a soccer match that went into overtime, with soooo much enthusiasm...sooo jealous of those who got that PLUS live tv broadcasts of sooo many great performances:)

I highly recommend the broadcast if anyone feels like getting a complete feel of the competition, from start to finish, no skaters omitted, and then you can supplement the coverage we get in the US with wonderful sites like

somebodyelseslife.com/figureskating

for clips not shown...LIKE LAMBIEL'S!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!!

Also, remember, folks, the depth in the ladies' field and the quality of the men's competition may very well give us a powerful final act by all the female singles competitors due to skate tomorrow and Saturday...if all we get on ESPN/ABC is 6 if we're lucky, IMAGINE how much supplementing we'll have to do to catch performances of a Vika or a Fumie, who aren't anywhere NEAR the final group!!!!

How sweet it's been so far; such quality, such excitement...(contented sigh)

Sarah:)

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
I was really disappointed that they didn't show Lambiel. He has the most amazing spins. I wish they had cut Mikey's patriotic program out to fit Lambiel in.

Kasey

Medalist
You know that ABC wouldn't tank an American performer to show Lambiel. I'm kind of surprised they didn't kiss off another performer to shove Savoie in our faces.

Kasey

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I was really disappointed that they didn't show Lambiel. He has the most amazing spins. I wish they had cut Mikey's patriotic program out to fit Lambiel in.

I agree. I am so damn tired of seeing Mikey's program I flipped over to ER until it was over. I'm not a huge Lambiel fan (tho I acknowledge there is some great stuff in his program), but I did want to see him skate if for no other reason than to see the silk pants I keep hearing about!!:laugh: :laugh: ABC's coverage in regards to who they show and who they don't certainly isn't what it used to be; last year we didn't get to see Denkova & Staviyisky (the BRONZE MEDALLISTS, for heaven's sake), but I will make allowances for the fact that they had to get a war update in there, tho as I recall there was essentially nothing really going on at the time.

jesslily

Final Flight
I just feel ABC should show either top 5 or top 6, not top 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. It's so plitical. They did this on every conpetition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have no problem with them showing both Johnny and Mike; in fact, I would have had no problem with them showing Matt as well. But I so looked forward to making my own mind in "Stefan vs. Stephane for the medal"...

As to the fluff... RRRGGGHHH!!! I used to hate it when they did the "little orphan" think about Oksana, and I think they've just found a new theme. How about showing Z&Z and Z&S instead! Hey, if you have to, you can even show the Americans isntead!

rpiche

Rinkside
Re: AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahmistral said:
Infuriating, isn't it? All to bring us a fluff piece on how poor China is; who gives a $%# about one of the evening's stellar performances, one which contributed to the enormous pressure on the gold medal favorites as they took the ice...GRRRRRRRRR!:mad:
Anywhoo, you can probably find it on

www.somebodyelseslife.com/figureskating

tomorrow; so far I saw that Joubert and Plushenko's FS are there and online at the moment. Lambiel is sure to follow, as are a few others.

Cheers!

Sarah

I don't agree with that cut either, but I LIKED the piece about Zhen and Zhao. It shows why some skaters skate the way they do. ABC cuts stuff out all the time ! Just too bad it was Lambiel's. Would you have a problem if they had cut out Weiss or Weir? 'Cause those performance didn't challenge anyone from the top 3's.

rpiche

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
I have no problem with them showing both Johnny and Mike; in fact, I would have had no problem with them showing Matt as well. But I so looked forward to making my own mind in "Stefan vs. Stephane for the medal"...

As to the fluff... RRRGGGHHH!!! I used to hate it when they did the "little orphan" think about Oksana, and I think they've just found a new theme. How about showing Z&Z and Z&S instead! Hey, if you have to, you can even show the Americans isntead!

No one complaint when they showed the Nancy Kerrigan piece, or Jenny Kirk's troubles piece, or Michelle's going to college piece, or Tara Lipinski getting up early to practice.

But when they show a foreigner, especially one with a hard life, you call it fluff and denounced it. Why not just tell ABC to add in another 4 minutes rather than berate a tribute about someone's life.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
OMG. I LOVE him. Lambiel for gold in 2006!!

A lot of skaters could take a lesson in incorporating wonderful choreography with fantastic jumps from him. THAT is what figure skating is about, IMO.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
I find the fluff pieces interesting some of the time--I did like the one about Shen&Zhao, but I could have done without many of them--like Michelle playing basketball with what's his name. Now that was fluff! But ultimately I would much rather see the skating. I would actually prefer it most to see the skating without the commentary too! If I have to hear Terry Gannon talking about "controlling your own destiny" one more time....:mad: :mad:

I would have rather seen Lambiel than Weiss since I haven't seen Lambiel ever and have had more than enough of Weiss, especially this year's LP.

Coverage of skating in US really sucks, especially when compared to Eurosport which shows everything, including compulsory dances where each team does the exact same dance.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
No one complaint when they showed the Nancy Kerrigan piece, or Jenny Kirk's troubles piece, or Michelle's going to college piece, or Tara Lipinski getting up early to practice.

But when they show a foreigner, especially one with a hard life, you call it fluff and denounced it. Why not just tell ABC to add in another 4 minutes rather than berate a tribute about someone's life.

Sorry, rpiche, that's just NOT the case for me, at ALL; when I'm trying to watch the World Championships, I'm neither interested in Nancy's knee, nor Jenny's troubles, nor Michelle's marks, nor Tara's trials and tribulations, nor Shen and Zhao's struggles--I just want to see MORE SKATING; SUE me for wanting to see pure skating at THE skating competition of the year :sheesh:

This is a SPORTS broadcast, for Christ's sake; I say there's too little skating shown AS IT IS. When you listen to the WHOLE competition on Eurosport, you realize just HOW many great performances you miss out on because of the commercial marathons (can't get around those, unfortunately:( ) and, to make matters worse, the time devoted to fluff pieces cuts into the few performances they DO show to begin with! Right now, as I'm typing this post, the second team from Israel is performing their free dance to one of my favorite pieces of music ever, the Carmina Burana...I would have loved to see that, but instead I'm probably going to get fluff on the late, great career of Lang and Tchernshev:rolleye: Good for them, but...I think I've made my point.

As for choosing between performances that should get cut, I would have preferred to see Mike Weiss' performance cut, if any, but my REAL preference is to see as many programs as I can--as many posters have pointed out, this was a historic night for men's skating, with great performances from many more than the top six skaters--Sandhu's fight back after a terrible short, arguably, would have merited some attention on the telecast, again, interesting me much more than ANY fluff piece, on ANYBODY.

Sarah

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm with you Sarah...

While the fluff pieces are interesting regardless of where a skater hails from, I'd much rather cut that stuff and see more skaters. Our total air coverage time is so limited already.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
No one's really complaining about the one bike for three people and the three dumplings fluff piece that they did on S&Z but rather that they cut Lambiel who had a great skate. Now personally, I wouldn't have cared if they cut out Johnny, but in all fairness, they should show everyone competed or at the least all the men in the final group. In fact, normally they show all the final group skates. Why even cut Lambiel? Maybe b/c his skating and spins put Johnny and Mikey to shame? Maybe if the American public saw how deep the men's event was we would get kind of discouraged about our boys potentially winning a medal? Or maybe b/c it's kind of hard to hype Johnny's prospects when you see the quality and difficulty of everyone out there.

I just thought that it was an oddity that they cut his skate out when the event was tape delayed and they could have shown one less commercial or just cut a minute off of the 10 minute fluff piece in S&Z to show all of the skates in what is arguably one of the best men's competitions of all time.

rpiche

Rinkside
What is evident about the broadcast is that ABC doesn't think its viewers want to see the rest of the field. When was the last time we get to see ALL the skaters? They ALWAYS cut stuff out, and normally we would not have been the wiser, except for the Internet and this forum. Certainly they could have broadcast 3 hours of skating and include more skating from the pairs and other men's program. But they didn't. Other countries get to see more because their audience wants more. Besides, there is a stigma about watching Figure Skating in America, llike it is not as worthy as some other sports.

Maybe we should focus on telling ABC that we want more instead of putting down stories about the skaters. Seeing the skates are great, but it never hurts to know a little about the athletes as well.

Kateri

On the Ice
I agree - it looks like you guys need to start emailing the TV companies - otherwise how will they know you are upset?

Try threatening to subscribe to other channels to get the coverage you want (even if this is impossible, it doesn't hurt to tell them that!)

k

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
At this point, y'all might count yourselves lucky:
Here in Austin, Texas, the local ABC affiliate BUMPED SKATING TO SHOW AN OLD MICHAEL DOUGLAS MOVIE.

I called and complained, but they seem unconcerned. I hear they plan to show it one night soon- at 1:30 in the morning!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: