Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU.

#TeamAUS

South Korea will attempt to pass 'host nation' automatic qualification through ISU.

The South Korean Skating Federation is putting forth a proposal to allow a host nation pair team (to be Couple #20) and an Ice Dance team (to be Couple #24)- as long as they meet the Technical Minimums for the OWG.

They argue that this is for the better for spreading winter sports in Asia and that the automatic entry rule has been applied in speed skating disciplines.

What are your thoughts?

Would Love to hear what you have to say about this.

http://static.isu.org/media/149501/1...ress-draft.pdf

this is what speedy suggested.. right??

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    The South Korean Skating Federation is putting forth a proposal to allow a host nation pair team (to be Couple #20) and an Ice Dance team (to be Couple #24)- as long as they meet the Technical Minimums for the OWG.

They argue that this is for the better for spreading winter sports in Asia and that the automatic entry rule has been applied in speed skating disciplines.

What are your thoughts?

Would Love to hear what you have to say about this.

http://static.isu.org/media/149501/1...ress-draft.pdf
    For the Olympics only or all competitions in general? If it's the later I'm totally against it.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    this is what speedy suggested.. right??
    For once it isnt. This is the south korean skating federation who put this forward. They want a big figure skating team for Pyongchang 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    For the Olympics only or all competitions in general? If it's the later I'm totally against it.
    i think it's for the olympic winter games only...

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I don't think it's a big deal. It's been done in other sports and hockey comes to mind. I'm pretty sure that Japan and Italy had teams compete that otherwise would not have qualified. The home country should be afforded some extra perks

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    i think it's for the olympic winter games only...
    If it's for the Olympics only I think that would be good. It's once in 4 years, not a big deal and it does make sense helping a bit the hosting country and also the popularity of the sports in that country. Most of the people watch FS during the Olympics only.

and ksu should develop a pair team first.. at this point i haven't read any news regarding a pair team in korea.. and please they need to fix the training for their figure skaters.. there's an issue regarding that..

Custom Title
    and ksu should develop a pair team first.. at this point i haven't read any news regarding a pair team in korea..and please they need to fix the training for their figure skaters.. there's an issue regarding that..
    I agree. Kim/Minov are promising, and they don't train in Korea so that's fine. But the training conditions are so bad that I think KSU has got their priorities in the wrong order.

Banned
    I see no issue here, a host nation should definitely get qualification or entries

Custom Title
    If they meet the minimum qualifications, then they have an argument. But they should actually develop a pairs/dance team, hopefully one that earns it, instead of just asking for a berth and piecemealing a team together in the 11th hour. I don't see the issue in adding another 4 minutes to the pairs/ice dance event, with those teams representing the host nation, and as mentioned it would spur on more popularity (especially in disciplines Korea isn't known for).

Who knows, this might trigger more skaters in Korea to pursue pairs/ice dance for a shot at going to the Olympics, and thus make the country more well-rounded as a skating nation.

Custom Title
    One pair more or less, who cares? No difference. Just ten more minutes for the judges to sit through. They do it in other sports so why not in figure skating? Nobody will be hurt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    One pair more or less, who cares? No difference. Just ten more minutes for the judges to sit through. They do it in other sports so why not in figure skating? Nobody will be hurt.
    Exactly. And if the pairs/dance teams don't qualify for the FS, at least there's exposure, and history being made. I would feel bad though for more qualified teams from other nations who didn't make it.

I wonder if elite pair/ice dance skaters from highly-competitive nations will team up and get expedited citizenship to compete for Korea... a reverse Viktor An of sorts... maybe in some crazy alternate universe, Proklova and a high-but-not-highest-ranked Russian male are brought to Korea, become a dominant pairs team (making up for the Sochi debacle).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

I wonder if elite pair/ice dance skaters from highly-competitive nations will team up and get expedited citizenship to compete for Korea... a reverse Viktor An of sorts... maybe in some crazy alternate universe, Proklova and a high-but-not-highest-ranked Russian male are brought to Korea, become a dominant pairs team (making up for the Sochi debacle).
    they already have, Kiril Minov for ice Dance with Rebecca Kim

Custom Title
    I disagree, but only for one reason.

When Russia suggested the same thing, they were howled down with anger and bashing.

Now suddenly because it's Korea it's okay?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast