Pang/Tong tweet their thanks | Golden Skate

Pang/Tong tweet their thanks

Miss October

Rinkside
Pang Qing and Tong Jian tweeted their thanks on Weibo after they ended their figure skating careers with the Pairs free skate tonight in Sochi. This was posted at 11:28pm Sochi time (less than an hour after their skate). Attached to the tweet (which I can't post here), is a picture of them smiling and embracing in their team uniforms.

"Thank you everyone for your support. Thank you everyone for being with us through this journey, never leaving or giving up. In our 20-some years, we've experienced many rough times. Because we both had the desire to chase our dreams, we met each other. We will still continue to support one another, because we are both dream-chasing people who do not easily give up."

Source (in Chinese): www.weibo.com/pangqing_tongjian

Controversial or not, I hope we can all look back fondly on two very amazing and gifted people and wish them the best in the new phase of their lives!

yuki

Final Flight
Pang Qing and Tong Jian tweeted their thanks on Weibo after they ended their figure skating careers with the Pairs free skate tonight in Sochi. This was posted at 11:28pm Sochi time (less than an hour after their skate). Attached to the tweet (which I can't post here), is a picture of them smiling and embracing in their team uniforms.

"Thank you everyone for your support. Thank you everyone for being with us through this journey, never leaving or giving up. In our 20-some years, we've experienced many rough times. Because we both had the desire to chase our dreams, we met each other. We will still continue to support one another, because we are both dream-chasing people who do not easily give up."

:clap: :bow:
Beautiful skaters and beautiful people. Wishing them the very best!

andyjo24

Medalist
I will miss them so much... To me, their 2010 Olympics LP was one of the best performances ever!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wonderful skaters and people. Classy to the end even after being blatantly robbed of a medal/higher medal at 3 straight Olympics. They will be tremendously missed by the skating World.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Excellent champions and very classy. Let's not forget they were one of the first pairs teams to truly pioneer Chinese pairs skating and also one of the first "throw" pioneers where the woman was actually *thrown* and not just assisted on the throw jump. I wasn't a huge fan of their SP, but their performance today was truly moving and shows why they were multi-World Champions. All the best to them in married life! :clap:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wonderful skaters and people. Classy to the end even after being blatantly robbed of a medal/higher medal at 3 straight Olympics. They will be tremendously missed by the skating World.

Well at least we will always have your nick to remember them by :biggrin:

I was moved by their Les Mis program, a class of their own.

Hope they get married soon and procreate competitively with Shen and Zhao couple. Zhao is already 1 baby up on them, together they can rebuild the Chinese team to compete with the Russians for 2034 Winter Olympic Games!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks Miss October!

Cheers to a wonderful pair and I hope they will enjoy some much deserved rest and relaxation in their married life.

Any word on whether they will continue in the sport in another way, like coaching?

Edited because I can't read. :p (os168, you do offer lots of great posts!)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing os168! Cheers to a wonderful pair and I hope they will enjoy some much deserved rest and relaxation in their married life.

Any word on whether they will continue in the sport in another way, like coaching?

Not that I am aware of, I will let you know if I find out anything. Or I am sure someone will. 20 years career, a life time to many.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Thanks for sharing os168! Cheers to a wonderful pair and I hope they will enjoy some much deserved rest and relaxation in their married life.

Most likely after marraige/ family time.
You two have the best short program in pairs history ( the pearlfishers) I saw that one a million times and you deserved to podium in Sochi.

UnChosen

On the Ice
:cry: I'll miss them so much...they're the last remaining veteran that are true performers. Now that they and S/Z (and probably S/S too) are all gone I don't know who to root for.

Sui/Han, please polish up your skating quickly and don't let that performing sparkle go to waste.

What a gracious gesture on their part. I'm happy to see this message from them for another reason: it shows that they are aware that they have the support and admiration of many skating fans around the world. Miss October, thanks for translating the message so that we can read it!

I have always enjoyed their skating, and I hope they are able to continue contributing to the sport in some way, as Hongbo Zhao is doing now. How lovely that they will be forming a family.

It would be great if the Chinese pairs tradition of excellence could continue. They have a different sensibility from the Russians and the Canadians, and all three add to the richness of the sport.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Sui/Han, please polish up your skating quickly and don't let that performing sparkle go to waste.

This! They were breathtaking at 4cc; it was amazing how much they improved. Hope they only go up from here and be worthy successors to S/Z and P/T! :biggrin:

If anybody does hear about their future plans, please do share.

They are in good hands now. I hope that Hongbo Zhao knows better than to try to make them skate 'classical' and he will try to capitalise on their perk.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If anybody does hear about their future plans, please do share.

They are in good hands now. I hope that Hongbo Zhao knows better than to try to make them skate 'classical' and he will try to capitalise on their perk.

Indeed they are! So many wrote them off but S/H are the future of Chinese skating. If Hongbo can adequately shape them, they will be a force to be reckoned with once they mature.