Why did Yu-Na Kim arrive late in Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why did Yu-Na Kim arrive late in Sochi?

jaylee

Medalist
Could be a miscalculation on the Yuna team not to have rented rinks somewhere else- 30min seems awfully short per day. Is she getting time somewhere else? Not sure though what constitutes official and unofficial practice- perhaps getting sole use and full runthrough with music is official, and shared skating unofficial?

Well. They were aware of the practice schedule before they arrived, so I'm sure they incorporated that into their strategy.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
How much does it cost to rent a rink? Is the Korean Skating Federation that stingy, or is the cost exorbitantly high? 30 min a day, is as another poster put it, awfully short.

guanchi

On the Ice
Korean feds have never been generous, and I'm not sure how much foresight they had in planning practices once there. Still, i'm hoping, as Jaylee says, that it's been thought out beforehand.

cosmos

On the Ice
If necessary, YuNa would have rented a rink personally. She can afford it. But, I don't think a rink is available nearby Sochi. That is why Japan went to Armenia, and Russian team went for Moscow. Anyway, team Yuna must have taken all thing into account.

thinspread

On the Ice
AFAIK two practice sessions of 40 min each will be available daily for every skater, until the day before the competition. On competition days, one dress rehearsal session for each of SP and LP. Yuna said on arrival that she is taking off one practice day in between to have a rest, so my guess is her team is thinking ice time for practices is sufficient.

vegarin

On the Ice
AFAIK two practice sessions of 40 min each will be available daily for every skater, until the day before the competition. On competition days, one dress rehearsal session for each of SP and LP. Yuna said on arrival that she is taking off one practice day in between to have a rest, so my guess is her team is thinking ice time for practices is sufficient.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info!