Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why did Yu-Na Kim arrive late in Sochi?

Rinkside
    because Yuna can only use the rink through official practice time. Korea doesn't rent ice rink for her unlike Japan, Russia,Canada...etc...
    This is why Yuna arrive late in Sochi, she tried to stayed in Korea long as possible for her training...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by swc0931 View Post
    because Yuna can only use the rink through official practice time. Korea doesn't rent ice rink for her unlike Japan, Russia,Canada...etc...
    This is why Yuna arrive late in Sochi, she tried to stayed in Korea long as possible for her training...
    Carolina Kostner is in Germany from Saturday last week too.
    Official practice in Sochi (according to Carolina Kostner) is only 30 min x day.
    Squads and/or single competitors that can afford it are training away.
    It's not the "old" olympic style spirit: stay with other competitors in the village etc.
    Because for most competitors results only matter.

Custom Title
    ^Well that sucks. She's losing valuable training time by being restricted to 30 min/day in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Could be a miscalculation on the Yuna team not to have rented rinks somewhere else- 30min seems awfully short per day. Is she getting time somewhere else? Not sure though what constitutes official and unofficial practice- perhaps getting sole use and full runthrough with music is official, and shared skating unofficial?

It's probably the ice availability thing but I like this:

Quote Originally Posted by ArgieFan View Post
    Why did Yu-Na Kim arrive late in Sochi?

Because she is the Queen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Could be a miscalculation on the Yuna team not to have rented rinks somewhere else- 30min seems awfully short per day. Is she getting time somewhere else? Not sure though what constitutes official and unofficial practice- perhaps getting sole use and full runthrough with music is official, and shared skating unofficial?
    Well. They were aware of the practice schedule before they arrived, so I'm sure they incorporated that into their strategy.

Custom Title
    How much does it cost to rent a rink? Is the Korean Skating Federation that stingy, or is the cost exorbitantly high? 30 min a day, is as another poster put it, awfully short.

Custom Title
    Korean feds have never been generous, and I'm not sure how much foresight they had in planning practices once there. Still, i'm hoping, as Jaylee says, that it's been thought out beforehand.

Custom Title
    If necessary, YuNa would have rented a rink personally. She can afford it. But, I don't think a rink is available nearby Sochi. That is why Japan went to Armenia, and Russian team went for Moscow. Anyway, team Yuna must have taken all thing into account.

Custom Title
    AFAIK two practice sessions of 40 min each will be available daily for every skater, until the day before the competition. On competition days, one dress rehearsal session for each of SP and LP. Yuna said on arrival that she is taking off one practice day in between to have a rest, so my guess is her team is thinking ice time for practices is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    AFAIK two practice sessions of 40 min each will be available daily for every skater, until the day before the competition. On competition days, one dress rehearsal session for each of SP and LP. Yuna said on arrival that she is taking off one practice day in between to have a rest, so my guess is her team is thinking ice time for practices is sufficient.
    That's interesting. Thanks for the info!

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    (by the way, your screen name always makes me hungry. )
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgieFan View Post
    CarneAsada, You're latino by chance?
    Thank you for the comments. No, I am not Latino, but I was a bit hungry when I registered at GS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2