Johnny Weir is talking nonsense... | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir is talking nonsense...

soogar

Record Breaker
On USFSA site
About Plushenko's program tonight, Weir said, "I like the concept of the program, but I think there's a lot of standing in one place. No one can really deny the fact that he's an amazing jumper, but as far as the second mark goes, once someone comes along — hopefully me — that can pull it together better on the second mark and really have a complete program, then Plushenko will have someone to compete against finally."

He added later, "I know those are big words to say right now, but it's a goal."

I hated Johnny's [effeminate], slow presentation. Maybe if he can get a shot of testosterone he'll skate half as manly as Plushenko.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tawnee

Spectator
His posts on his web page are like that too. I think Michael Weiss is his PR role model. :laugh: And then theres the quad king...

More entertaining than "I just want to stay focused, have fun, and skate my best".

kyla2

Final Flight
Hohnny Weir

Plushenko deserved his win. He skated a difficult program very well. Johnny Weir also skated beautifully. He doesn't need a shot of "testosterone" and his name isn't "Weird." That's pretty much a cheap shot (as well as an uninspired one), and it says volumes about you, not him.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
that's funny:D it is entertaining, and certainly more dramatic than the whole, usual, diplomatic bit, but I think it's unbecoming of someone like Johnny, who shouldn't have to resort to such sniping, being such a complete skater, someone with the potential to be a great champion. Especially while it's still potential; like Yevgeny's style or not (and his drama and his belief in his performance has pulled me in over the years since SLC, when I felt I should choose a "camp" between Yags:love: and Yevgeny "the enemy", product of another useless fluff piece on Mishin and his two students--absolutely foolish and immature of me, I see that now), he IS a champion and has come up with a very unique and imposing, almost regal style, and most importantly, he's come up with ways to win time and time again. Though many say outspoken skaters who make comments like that are more interesting and just being honest, I think that it just detracts from a brilliant performance like Johnny's this evening--I love it best when a skater thinks something like that inwardly, and then, at the next opportunity to do so, "brings it"--with Johnny that would involve incorporating quads into his programs as seamlessly as he does triples.

Sarah

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thank you Enero and welcome (a little late; you already have 11 posts:laugh: ) to Golden Skate! I like your username; is January your favorite month?:)

Cheers,

Sarah

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I can't decide where to start :confused:

First- Johnny WEIR gave a beautiful performance. His jumps are just exquisite. He seems to have a natural musicality. Without doubt, he's someone to watch.

He probably shouldn't have made the ''standing around'' remarks. I'm just really grateful no one recorded the brilliant :sheesh: remarks I came out with at 19.

AS for the rest of it, he's basically saying (paraphrasing) Plushenko doesn't have a real challenger now. Someday. a skater with high artistic skills and good techique (hopefully himself) will come along and Plushenko will have serious competition.

:confused: What's so terrible about that? :confused:

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Hi Susan Beth!

Basically, what I get from that quote (and I can certainly be mistaken), is that "no one can deny that he's a great jumper" and that "the program had a great concept", but that artistically...well, we can fill in that blank many ways, but it seems to be saying that Plushy's winning by default, despite not really having a challenger on the second mark. What he omits on Plushy's presentation skills/artistry can be interpreted to read volumes--or nothing at all. At any rate, I basically disagree because I think Lambiel is a complete, artistic skater who already has his stuff together with the quads. So Plushy's not just winning because "no one can deny that he's a great jumper." With a comment like that, it can come across like Johnny's taking a dig at Plushy's presentation and saying that a more complete skater could beat him because of what Plushy's lacking in that department, "standing around too much", etc.

All speculation, though; but coming right off the competition, it might taste a bit like sour grapes...just my 2 cents:)

Sarah

Kasey

Medalist
Johnny has a beautiful, lyrical style. How is that "fruity"? Or are you going to start the whole, STUPID "gay slam" again?

Yeah, maybe he could have phrased something more PC/tactfully. But he said what was on his mind. I like that he does that, I like that Weiss does that, I like that Yagudin does that. To pull out the classic skating cliche lines and hiding your ambition and personality, THAT is pretty wussy to me. And YES, you can be yourself with class....but being yourself without is still better than being some ISU quoting robot.

Kasey

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
as an out "fruit", i think it's ok, in fact it's HARDER for a skater to be FRUITY than to be grunting like elvis and evgeny...

once carol heiss said that male skaters are great, and athletic, but female skaters have it harder because they have to be JUST AS athletic as a male skater, but they have to present it in this nice feminine package;

so, I think Johnny skating as a fruit, and skating wonderfully as a fruit, is a heck of a lot tougher than huffing, puffing, posing, and...well...

so, hopefully, someday, when johnny's fruit has ripened, it'll be sweet...

sweet as...soogar =P

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Johnny

Soogar -

Its a little late (as in 2004) to start slinging out descriptions like "fruity" especially in a figure skating community. Do you really think that being elegant and stylish marks a man as a fruit? Ever watched Fred Astaire dance? What about Marvin Gaye - he sang in falsetto on most of his hits. Does he sound fruity to you?

Or perhaps you are making a joke about exagerrated masculinity - right? Like Plushenko's gold lame gloves (with wrist ruffs) screams macho hunk to you .......

Kasey - thanks for the back up. I also admire some truth-telling in this wonderful, frustrating and sometimes untruthful sport.

Tenorguy

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it is just sport that skaters show ambition, I´m not having any problems with Weir´s words. Besides he is just stating his opinion, like we fans do all the time, LOL. On the other hand matters are a bit different with public persons... What I wondered a bit is the kind of picture Weir gives that there is only he and Plushenko, forgetting to mention that e.g. Joubert already is challenging Plushenko ("once someone comes along — hopefully me — that can pull it together better on the second mark and really have a complete program, then Plushenko will have someone to compete against finally.").

Generally speaking, there are lots of different opinions e.g. about presentation, as different people see the same skating performance in a totally different way. To some it is artistry and to some a skater just follows a clever choreography... Very clearly the judges don´t agree with Weir´s remarks about Plushy´s presentation, LOL.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Kateri

On the Ice
Re: Johnny Weird is talking crap...

soogar said:
I hated Johnny's fruity , slow presentation. Maybe if he can get a shot of testosterone he'll skate half as manly as Plushenko.

honestly...can we just move on from these kind of comments already! this is stone age bigoted rubbish.

There are different skating styles, people can legitimately prefer either, but neither necessarily implies *anything at all* about that skaters sexual preferences, and nor would it make a blind bit of difference if it did.

kateri.

diver chick

On the Ice
Personally I don't find his skating 'fruity' at all. In fact I have said many times before now that I think Johnny has a very elegant style, perhaps something people find hard to associate with mens skating.
Granted the comments he made, as presented in the media, are perhaps a little short sighted but if it works for him and helps to keep him focused on his goals then I see no huge problem with it. In fact the biggest problem will be for him when he realises that he has far more than just Plushenko to contend with.
Whatever Johnny's sexual preferences may be, it is his business and to imply that his presentation is a result of his sexuality is short-sighted in the extreme. It is much like saying 'I don't like Elvis Stokjo's skating as I find it far too manly and heterosexual.'

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I disagree that Plushy hasnt had anyone challange him artistically.. Look at Emanual Sandu and Illia Klimkin! They just have to be more consistant in their jumping and technical standpoint.
Now this hogwash about being fruity!!?? What is that all about? Yes, Jonny is alil feminine, but does that make a World class MENS skater? Does he have to be MANLY? Does he have to have hair growing outta his chest and a piece of hay sticking out of his teeth? Why dont they just have a chewing and spitting contest! I mean really!?! Hey, I may be a fruit but that doesnt take away from my credibility as an intelligent human being..
Yes, Jonny is alittle bratty and thinks he's hot stuff , but I think its more of how he thinks things out. I think its great for people who have strong goals! ....................Peace

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Soogar...

I'm sure over time Johnny will be *urged* to be more PC in his remarks.

Can we *urge* you to be a little more PC with your remarks? I think you could state the opinion that you don't prefer Johnny's particular style of skating without the fruit and testosterone comments......

Just a suggestion.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
I like elegant men as well, but Johnny's presentation was really girly (which is why I used the term fruity). I like the way Johnny skates and at Nats he's head and shoulders over everyone else. But here at Worlds, compared to the Europeans, I felt he skated like a junior and that program did nothing for Johnny. The whole standing in one place turning the pages of a book and he moved so slow. He had no zing and I was not impressed with his lack of speed. I think a guy can look elegant without coming off as a girl.

kemy

Rinkside
soogar said:
I like elegant men as well, but Johnny's presentation was really girly (which is why I used the term fruity). I like the way Johnny skates and at Nats he's head and shoulders over everyone else. But here at Worlds, compared to the Europeans, I felt he skated like a junior and that program did nothing for Johnny. The whole standing in one place turning the pages of a book and he moved so slow. He had no zing and I was not impressed with his lack of speed. I think a guy can look elegant without coming off as a girl.

Did Yagudin used to stand in one place and ACT like he was doing something? It's not girly...it's mime-like.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't know what there is about him but his overall look doesn't do it for me. Yeah other guys do the same motions, have similar elements in their programs, even do outright feminine things in their programs and yet they don't look like girls. Johnny looks like a girl out there (it probably didn't help him that he skated so slow). I agree about the comparisons to John Curry though. I think Johnny skates a lot like Curry, kind of into himself instead of relating to an audience plus Curry was slow and deliberate with his presentation as well. John Curry doesn't do it for me either.

Maybe Johnny's arrogance turns me off. I get the impression from his skating that he's somewhat arrogant and aloof and maybe that's why I don't like him.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
equestrianguy said:
Why dont they just have a chewing and spitting contest! I mean really!?! ....................Peace
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That just cracked me up. I guess I don't see anything wrong with what Johnny said. Also, Soogar, could you post the url for the article instead of paraphrasing it?

I think Johnny was paying Evgeni a big compliment. There are other skaters out there that are a challenge not only Evgeni. I also think Johnny is setting up himself up for some pretty big goals. I like him and I hope he can achieve them.

Dee