Johnny Weir is talking nonsense... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir is talking nonsense...

libra 1

Rinkside
Re: LOL Catsister!!

sarahmistral said:
OT but glad you brought it up; a question for any of our Russian posters, how DO you PROPERLY transliterate/spell Yevgeny's name?

Sarah

Dear Sarah,
Plushy transliterates his full name in English as Evgeni - at least he signs his autographs so; but in Russia he is caled by his diminitive name - Zhenia - in Russian tradition it shows his popularity. To call someone as well- loved as Zhenia by the official name seems formal on the point of being rude... That's why the arenas in StPetersburg, Moscow etc. keep roaring "Æåíÿ, äàâàé!" - " Go,Zhenia!"

libra - from Russia, with love

libra 1

Rinkside
Re: Johnny..............

dizzydi said:
There is no question in my mind that Johnny Weir was marked very low, especially on his short program. Frankly, I was stunned twice last night. First, by Johnny's low scores. Then, by the high scores for Pleshenko's performance, especially the presentation mark in the long program. Yes, Pleshenko is an accomplished jumper but.......his first combination jump almost came to a complete standstill. How the judges can defend 6.0's for presentation is beyond me. Not to even mention his fall. Absolutely horrible judging!

Getting to the point about Johnny's comment.....if he did make that statement about Pleshenko's presentation it probably wasn't the most diplomatic thing to say. However, I notice that when someone states the truth, people get very riled up.

I keep rude opinions about skaters to myself mostly because I might be trashing someone's favorite skater. We are all entitled to our opinion but we should keep some diginity in the process.

Dizzy

Dear Dizzy,
1) may I draw your attention to that the name of the 3-times
world champion is spelled " Plushenko";
2) every time I hear someone talk about high and low marks in judging I presume they have some personal attitude towards skaters connected with entirely off-ice things;
3) Johnny's statements about Plushy's presentation suprised me because before he admired Zhenia's skating very much .

libra

libra 1

Rinkside
Re: Re: Re: Re: Constructive Criticism

April said:
I disagree totally. Plush and Yags are great skaters, but kings. Anyway, I think skaters should share their critical views, nice, nasty, stale, or whatever. Sport's culture is built upon trash talking. Nobody is dethrowing Plush. His artistry has just come into its own. Gee whiz, Plush is not really known for his presentation skill is he (looking back into his whole career, I'd say he's a jumping god if there ever ways one )? Besides, other skaters are declaring a challenge against Plush, and that's a good thing. He is the one to beat. Lastly, Johnny Weir didn't bomb, so he gets bragging rights and trash talking privileges.

April,
What do you mean by saying Evgeni Plushenko is not known for his presentation skills throughout his career? I will not talk about impressions but I presume you know he holds the absolute record of 6.0s for presentation which went down to Guinness Record Book - 59 in all ! No contemporary male skater comes anywhere close to this figure!

libra

euterpe

Medalist
I didn't see anything out of the way in what Weir said. He admitted that technically, Plushenko is tops, but also said Plushy is vulnerable on the presentation side.

In no way did he say that right now, he is any threat to Plushenko, but at some time in the future, he might be.

Weir's goal is to challenge Plushenko. What's wrong with that? Joubert has been saying the same thing since last year, and no one is ripping him for it.

Skaters have to have goals, and I say good for Johnny for aiming at the guy on top. He's 5th in the world now, who else should he aim for?

RussianBolero

Rinkside
libra 1 said:
Dear RussianBolero,
Johnny Weir's discussion of Plushy's skating while being 5-th after the Worlds and Plushy being 3-times world champion reminds me of " sour grapes..."
BTW Johnny will be 20 in a couple of months and Zhenia is 21...

libra - from Russia, with love
I guess different people just interpret things differently...I have no problem with what Johnny said, but I know a lot of people do. Johnny can't touch Plush technically right now, although Johnny does have beautiful jumps...they're not difficult enough yet. I think that Johnny's choreography may be better than Plush's...maybe that's why Johnny's presentation seems so good to me.

Johnny didn't start skating until very late did he? So he's still catching up.

It's good to have goals, and I think it's a tribute to Plush that Johnny sees him as the one to beat. Well I guess that's pretty obvious though.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
RussianBolero said:
Johnny didn't start skating until very late did he? So he's still catching up.
Weir started skating when he was 12, and was 3rd in the US Novice Championships within two years. According to his ISU bio, he won the first Jr. Worlds he entered. He's now 5th in the World. I think he's accomplished a lot in his first eight seasons of skating. Not everyone is a prodigy, but it is possible to catch up to one in many fields, including skating, as Arakawa did this year.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
hockeyfan228 said:
Weir started skating when he was 12, [snipped good stuff]
That is just amazing. I hadn't realized he had started skating *that* late...this makes me appreciate him even more.

shine

Record Breaker
RussianBolero said:
I think that Johnny's choreography may be better than Plush's...maybe that's why Johnny's presentation seems so good to me.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Johnny accomplished all that in such a short period of time and he was punished last year because of his withdrawal at the Nats. So his compeittive skting was somewhat interrupted besides.

Very good skater. Hopefully we see more of him and with a discernable style.

Joe