Yulia Lipnitskaya: Olympic Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya: Olympic Thread

ranjake

Final Flight
I agree with Frank and I don't always.

I do, too. I think to act like she's completely perfect and as if any criticism of her is bananas (as much of the media is doing) is actually a disservice to Julia. She IS great. She's a phenom and amazing to watch. But there are things that are not perfect; that she can improve- and just imagine how amazing she'll be to watch then. FC said she deserved to win; constructive criticism does not make someone a "hater". FC has earned the right to respectfully express his opinion.

Eloise

Rinkside
I agree with you pangtongfan. His reply was polite and it was a simple answer to a query. He did not bash Yulia, quite the contrary he praised her and stated she was the fair winner. He just expressed his opinion.
I feel that there has been a growing tendency in this forum to jump at each other’s throat (and I count myself in this as well) as soon as someone expresses his/her own personal view over our favourite skaters. As long as the opinion is politely expressed and does not aim to disrespect a skater, I think we can refrain from reacting negatively. There is no reason in having this forum if we keep on thumping each other when someone does not agree with us.

volk

Final Flight
He he basically implies that Chan deserves his inflated scores, but Julia doesn't?

franco1991

Rinkside
I am glad Frank pointed out the ridiculous overscoring of Julia's pcs. In less than 3 months she went from low 60's to virtually 70's( which surely she will get in the individual if she does what she did in the team event). A very similar discrepancy in pcs scores has occured in Adelina's score. How can such juniorish and uninspired programmes score so close pcs wise to programmes like those that Carolina had in the last 4 years? Even outscore some of them by a big margin. Shame on the judging panel (in pairs and ladies 2 are Russians and 1 is Ukrainian) and whoever has their back. No matter how much julia's supporters try to find an explanation for her undeserved over inflated scores the truth is simple: for either Julia or Adelina to have a chance at the Olympic gold or podium they needed to be in the same league as Caro, Yuna and Mao pcs wise and surprise surprise that just happened!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Carrol did not say Gold deserved to beat Julia in the womens LP despite that she had an excellent and clean skate, with in reality better quality triples and better basic skating skills than Julia. He said the scores for Julia were too high. Whether you agree or not, he is within his rights to say that, as there are others who have said the same thing. It is hardly a far fetched claim. Also a reporter asked him his opinion, so he told the truth as opposed to lieing.

He told his opinion, shared by many... but it was a lie when he mentioned the 10's.

Bartek

On the Ice
The person who is bitter is Carroll - that is why he is complaining. You are obviously very bitter as well.

Even if what he did can be called "complaining" he is simply RIGHT. Her PCS were far too high. In no way could they be justified, shouldn't have been that close to Mao's and Carolina's PCS.

vegarin

On the Ice
He's known to speak his mind, so there.

And no, Julia didn't get Chan's PCS. Hers used to be at the similar level as Gracie's, but a couple of months later and after a single event, it just jumped to the PCS at the same level as the five-time European Champion, the gold medalist of the last Olympic, and the silver medalist of the last Olympics, all of whom happen to be also multiple-time World Champions (well, only once for Caro but she medaled at four other times).

So, no, I don't think Frank was rude.

RobinA

On the Ice
He he basically implies that Chan deserves his inflated scores, but Julia doesn't?

His point is that Chan is a mature skater and has the finer points that go into PCS down, while Julia does not.

keasus

On the Ice
I have a vague, uneasy feeling that Julia L is another Oksana Bauil. Charming, to be sure, but I just don't see her making it through the next quad. I understand the hype around her as the new, best, young thing, but when you look below the surface, to quote Gertrude Stein, "there is no there, there." When you compare her to other phenoms at this age such as Michelle Kwan, Kim, and Asada, she pales in comparison.

Ven

Match Penalty
He told his opinion, shared by many... but it was a lie when he mentioned the 10's.

She received 10s at Euros. That was the indication the fix was in and this was getting out of control.

You might want to check your facts before calling Frank Carroll a liar.

amc987

On the Ice
:confused2:

I see no lies. Julia was overscored for what she did in both the short program and the free program in the team event. She deserved to be first in both segments, IMO, but not by the margin she got in PCS. I also don't understand how her flutz doesn't get negative GOE every time she does it. Frank's comments were on point and appropriate.

volk

Final Flight
His point is that Chan is a mature skater and has the finer points that go into PCS down, while Julia does not.

What he fails to realize is that Chan gets these scores even when he falls, but Julia is generally clean.

Mao88

Record Breaker
She received 10s at Euros. That was the indication the fix was in and this was getting out of control.

You might want to check your facts before calling Frank Carroll a liar.

The only one who needs to check their facts is you. Julia thoroughly deserves her PCS marks, whilst your assertion that there is a fix (without any FACTUAL evidence whatsoever) is completely absurd.

All these posters with post counts in double and single digits trotting out the same nonsense. Obviously the same troll. WE all know what the game is. You think by moaning about Julia L's PCS scores all over the place enough times (with trolls using multiple pseudonyms), you think you can talk them down. Dream on. But then again, the words rational and objective don't pertain to trolls.

I'm a Mao fan and I hope Mao finally win's the Olympic title that she would most likely have won back in 2006 had she not been prevented from competing in those Olympics. However, if Julia wins, I won't be whinging about it like some people obviously will be.

bebevia

On the Ice
What he fails to realize is that Chan gets these scores even when he falls, but Julia is generally clean.
Carroll is no strict judge, and he does accept certain margins. However, there are certain ranges of tolerance: Chan is still one of the top PCS skaters boosted, and Julia is one of the lesser PCS skaters marked as top.

swc0931

Rinkside
Her psc and technique score is too high for her, especially in this season.
She has a great flexibility but that's it..She doesn't have any facial expression while she skate.
There is no connection between her jump and routine. She also has a wrong edge problem..
She is very young and talent skater but she is not there yet...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have a vague, uneasy feeling that Julia L is another Oksana Bauil. Charming, to be sure, but I just don't see her making it through the next quad. I understand the hype around her as the new, best, young thing, but when you look below the surface, to quote Gertrude Stein, "there is no there, there." When you compare her to other phenoms at this age such as Michelle Kwan, Kim, and Asada, she pales in comparison.

Baiul was a much better all-around skater (jumps aside) than Kwan, Asada, or Yuna at age 15/16. Oksana's career may have been short but it was not due to lack of talent.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The only one who needs to check their facts is you. Julia thoroughly deserves her PCS marks, whilst your assertion that there is a fix (without any FACTUAL evidence whatsoever) is completely absurd.

I'm not sure there is a "fix", but I do think her PCS is too high. Julia has had the same deficiencies she has had all season: she is slower, has much smaller jumps, and has less connection to her music relative to Mao, Yuna, and Caro. She isn't "slow" and her jumps aren't "small" compared to the average skater, but she isn't getting GOE and PCS of the average skater. The judges are marking her on par with the top three and relative to them her deficiencies are very obvious. I think this is what bothers some of us.

yuki90

On the Ice
Completely agree with him. Some of judges gave higher SS to Julia than Mao and Caro.
Julia's PCS is 9 point higher than Gracie. This is ridiculous.
and Philip Hersh said Julia is overscored too.

Ven

Match Penalty
I'm not sure there is a "fix", but I do think her PCS is too high. Julia has had the same deficiencies she has had all season: she is slower, has much smaller jumps, and has less connection to her music relative to Mao, Yuna, and Caro. She isn't "slow" and her jumps aren't "small" compared to the average skater, but she isn't getting GOE and PCS of the average skater. The judges are marking her on par with the top three and relative to them her deficiencies are very obvious. I think this is what bothers some of us.

Only her and Adelina's PCS have increased very high in the last two months. Nobody else. Just the two Russian girls. Including Julia, who still has the same deficiencies she had earlier this season.

That's called a fix.