Yulia Lipnitskaya: Olympic Thread | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya: Olympic Thread

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Again just your opinion. When someone gives me concrete, objective reasons why the SP and FS she performed at Europeans and the team event do not fulfill the individual criteria of the program components besides saying (her skating is junior, as if that communicates anything but your dislike) then I will consider what evidence you have. In the meantime her skating has improved by leaps and bounds compared to what she performed at SC an
I would hope FC would get it right and realize that she never receive more than a single ten for IN at Euros for the FS which was dropped anyway when the scores are averaged, along with the too-low 7.25. The majority of her SP marks were below 8.5 and the FS below 8.75.

In the team event SP, Yulia received 7s and 8s. Carolina received 8s, 9s and 10s. In the FS, Yulia performed an exquisitely choreographed program with wonderful interpretation of the music and fully deserved several 9.00s in those categories, her overall components were still all well below nine, especially SS and TR.

Gracie Gold's program was well-skated, but there was a disconnect between her elements and the music she was skating to. Still I think her components should have reached the low eights. SS 8.07 for example, so the overall PCS would have been around 63, 64 which I believe was where it should have been.

One could argue that Yulia had a disconnect between elements also. Infact, I thought Yulia had more of a disconnect than Gracie.

Watch Frank Carroll's interesting take on Yulia & Gracie from Fox Sports with Michelle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2ipyBXaK8

Frank wants to know why there's such a big gap between his star pupil and Russia's little darling when both girls have the almost same jump layout (3Lz-3T, 2A-3T).

Very interesting segment! Thanks so much. I like that Frank is so, well, frank about his opinions. I love the way he and Michelle interact.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Very interesting segment! Thanks so much. I like that Frank is so, well, frank about his opinions. I love the way he and Michelle interact.

Interesting what he says about the men- that no one was running through their entire programs during practice prior to the LP, except Denis. I can't believe the men (or their coaches) would be so foolish as to not do that. Practicing jumps, spins, and step sequences is not the same as going through your whole program again and again and again....

Otherwise, very interesting interview. Liked that he confirmed what I was thinking about the russian audience.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I read in an article with BOrser where he discussed how each skater has a different approach to practicing; Sometimes if you go through the entire LP in practices, you risk exhausting yourself for the actual event. He mentioned that Javier doesn't do full run-throughs of his program and just concentrates on elements.

ginal

Rinkside
I just don't see where there is an 8 point difference between yulia and gracie in pcs??? I find russian skaters are consistently overmarked. I don't understand it. There is no denying that there are great russian skaters, especially in pairs, and they can land jumps, but plushy getting the pcs he does??? I would take off 5 points just for the tacky blowing kisses and hip gyrations, oy vey. I really do not understand it. Yulia is not tacky like plushy but I do not see the artistry scores she is getting.

As for what Frank says about run throughs, he is right. I see Yulia and Gracie skating clean programs, if they are skating clean in practice. Yulia also has the advantage of going back to Moscow to practice and having more time on the ice, versus everyone else who has to share the ice in Sochi. I do not know if Yuna is running through her programs cleanly in practice, something she was doing in vancouver practice. Yuna had the foot injury and I am not sure she is as prepared as she was before. I still think she is better than Yulia and Gracie even with a fall, as Yuna's jumps are higher, faster, and cover more ice, but how prepared is she.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I just don't see where there is an 8 point difference between yulia and gracie in pcs??? I find russian skaters are consistently overmarked. I don't understand it. There is no denying that there are great russian skaters, especially in pairs, and they can land jumps, but plushy getting the pcs he does??? I would take off 5 points just for the tacky blowing kisses and hip gyrations, oy vey. I really do not understand it. Yulia is not tacky like plushy but I do not see the artistry scores she is getting.

As for what Frank says about run throughs, he is right. I see Yulia and Gracie skating clean programs, if they are skating clean in practice. Yulia also has the advantage of going back to Moscow to practice and having more time on the ice, versus everyone else who has to share the ice in Sochi. I do not know if Yuna is running through her programs cleanly in practice, something she was doing in vancouver practice. Yuna had the foot injury and I am not sure she is as prepared as she was before. I still think she is better than Yulia and Gracie even with a fall, as Yuna's jumps are higher, faster, and cover more ice, but how prepared is she.

Not everyone agrees with you that hip gyrations and blowing kisses should be banned air aren't legitimate. So because plushenko moved his hips and blew kisses during the choreo of his programs Julia should get low scores? What is your problem with taking a second to blow a kiss or moving your hips in a program. That's just your opinion that those moves are beneath skating or should be banned but to say Julia should be punished for plushenko moving his hips is crazy.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's disgusting how he keeps calling lipnitskaia "this little girl" he's bitter and Awful.

ginal

Rinkside
I did not suggest to ban those moves

Not everyone agrees with you that hip gyrations and blowing kisses should be banned air aren't legitimate. So because plushenko moved his hips and blew kisses during the choreo of his programs Julia should get low scores? What is your problem with taking a second to blow a kiss or moving your hips in a program. That's just your opinion that those moves are beneath skating or should be banned but to say Julia should be punished for plushenko moving his hips is crazy.

But I am in favor of banning those moves. I would also ban really bad costumes.

Amei

Record Breaker
As for what Frank says about run throughs, he is right. I see Yulia and Gracie skating clean programs, if they are skating clean in practice. Yulia also has the advantage of going back to Moscow to practice and having more time on the ice, versus everyone else who has to share the ice in Sochi. I do not know if Yuna is running through her programs cleanly in practice, something she was doing in vancouver practice.

From what I've heard/read on these boards most of the top level skaters spent the past week in different towns or countries to train. The only big name I heard practicing in Sochi this week was Yuna.

Amei

Record Breaker
One could argue that Yulia had a disconnect between elements also. Infact, I thought Yulia had more of a disconnect than Gracie.

Except most commentators have disagreed with this and.... apparently the judges don't feel Julia was disconnected from her moves/music.

Krislite

Medalist
From what I've heard/read on these boards most of the top level skaters spent the past week in different towns or countries to train. The only big name I heard practicing in Sochi this week was Yuna.

So the only show in town for practices recently was Yuna? Good. I hope the judges were watching. She's had several clean run-through's already. :biggrin:

shine

Record Breaker
New article in which Frank Carroll criticises Julia Lipnitskaya's PCS scores:-

Disgraceful comments by Frank Carroll. This is blatant politicking, as it would suit both him and Gracie Gold absolutely fine if the judges started reducing Julia Lipnitskaya's PCS scores.
You say it like the judges will just hear Frank and do as he says. LOL!

He has every right to state his opinions, politicking or not! Not to mention many share his opinions. Lipnitskaya's PCS is absolutely ridiculous.

vegarin

On the Ice
I do not know if Yuna is running through her programs cleanly in practice, something she was doing in vancouver practice.

She's been knocking them out of the park, clean, for both SP and Free, in practice. We'll have to wait and see if she can repeat.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
It's disgusting how he keeps calling lipnitskaia "this little girl" he's bitter and Awful.

He may have trouble in pronouncing "Lipnitskaia", which is exactly , even in writing, why I refer her as "Julia" too. His remarks seem to me a lot nicer than my anti-Putin tirade.:laugh:

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
@Isabel O'reilly

I don't understand why people say such negative things. I think while Yulia is still underdeveloped in a few areas, to me a least, she is over developed in others. I actually feel excited(my heart races)to watch her skate and no matter what she places ill just be happy to watch her skate. I feel she has risen to her top form in spite of her critics and shortcomings. In the words of Gracie Gold...that girl may not have a spine but she has nerves of steel

Quite right.