Savchenko wants to continue... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Savchenko wants to continue...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ruben Blommaert. And then skate for Belgium :)

Blommaesrt is with Anabelle still right ?
but since she has German citizenship now, she only needs to look inside Germany
thats like finding a needle in a haystack

Damnit, Savchenko did indeed deny this and obviously now it does look ridiculously unrealistic when you think of it. Oh well, back to reality. :p

Duhamel is by far the weaker link of the two. Even if you argue they are on par technically (and I wouldnt, he is more consistent on jumps than her, and has an easier time doing his role with the hard elements I sense); then artistically, quality of line, and in terms of basics he is miles ahead of her. That isnt to say she isnt a strong, powerful, and determined skater, but there is a limit to her potential moreso than Eric IMO.

Eric Radford is the weakest lifter I've ever seen in competitive senior pair skating, barring a few tragically bad teams.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Duhamel is the Akiko of pairs skating.
She just lights up my day watching her, so I hope she continues.
Aliona is fit enough to stay another four years but finding a good enough partner within Germany is the tough one.
I don't think she will stay on though.

Barb

Record Breaker
Can Zhang change nationality to german?, It would be great he with Aliona, he with her young partner looks very werid .

I don't see Zhang leaving the Chinese pairs program. I imagine he feels a deep personal loyalty to both his country and his coach, Yao Bin (and now to Hongbo Zhao). But I am speaking from complete ignorance, and life will always surprise us.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
get a fellow Ukrainian
Andrei Deputat who is coached previously by Galina K. but is now skating in Moscow
but his partnership with Davankova wont last that longer as she is getting too tall

Andrei looks very mature for a 21 year old
problem solved, Savchenko and Deputat - both Ukrainians will be happy

mousepotato

On the Ice
I can’t believe anyone fell for this. Germany would never put all those years into her not to mention giving her citizenship only to let her skate for another country, nor would she leave Robin and go. Russia wouldn't let Rogonov and Smirnov go either.

Smirnov has come too far with his recovery and said he skating at least one more season with Yuko anyway. Smirnov would never leave Yuko. Last season his knee was bothering him so bad before nationals he begged Moskvina to have his knee fixed and she said to wait until after the Olympic season so he skated in pain until last October then his knee gave out. He is actually younger than Trankov and Savchenko and one year older than Radford and Duhamel so there is no reason he can’t continue for a couple of years if his knee feels better. I guess Moskvina should have listened to him last year. Most coaches should listen to the skaters if they say they want to continue.

I hope Aliona and Robin don’t make hasty decision and say things they may regret in the heat of the moment. They will have clear heads once they get home and have a chance to reflect. I do hope they go to worlds. I haven’t see Robin fall on a 3T very often. That will haunt him for a long time.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would love to see Ingo come out of retirement, and partner Aljona for Germany! :biggrin:

But, although he is still fit for his age, I think this would be pushing even Ingo a bit too far! ;)

A more realistic scenario that I would like to see happen is for Aljona to "do a Zhang Hao". Partner her up with a young skater, and use her talent and experience to train him up to the top level.

In an ideal world, I would like it to be a young Ukrainian skater. But, I don't think Ingo and Robin would be keen on this. Being Germans, they would probably prefer to help one of their fellow countrymen.

So, can you think of any young Germans or Ukrainians who would be of a suitable physique to partner Aljona, and who could benefit from working with the "ARI" dream team?

CaroLiza_fan

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Aliona is the best female pairs skater in the world except for Tatiana (they're tied to me). I don't think there is anyone in the whole wide world who could level her. She would never get another Robin anyway.

I get it's bitter to fail like this TWICE, but aside from the Games, they've had a magnificent career and they've done more for their discipline than anyone in years (possibly ever). She should be proud of what they've accomplished. A pair like this comes once in a lifetime and I'm so happy I got to witness it. I hope they go to worlds and own it and give their career a beautiful end.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
The idea of Brian and Aliona is very charming to me. I'd be very interested how a partnership like that might work out :)

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Brian and Aliona would be interesting, but he doesn't have much pair experience so I can't picture him getting the lifts and twist so easily. Even unison and pairs spins might be hard for him.

More like he doesn't have any pair experience :p Honestly, the vision of seing them skate together is actually both tempting and intriguing (and if I was Aliona I would totally try it just for the sake of being around such a gorgeous man for so long) but I cannot see a strong personality like Joubert who has never had to rely on anyone but himself in his skating, becoming a part of a team, where mistakes of your partner are your mistakes and vice versa. Let alone learning all the pair elements, which I'm pretty sure are damn difficult for someone who's never even tried it. But a charming idea indeed! ;)

dress

On the Ice
It would be interesting for Aliona et Brian to make a try. It would be cool to watch them.

emma

Record Breaker
^as gutsy as Aliona is, I can't imagine her ever letting a newbie pair lift her in the air.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Article in a german magazine where Robin states that he is definitely is ending his career after Worlds. He feels too old now and that his body is not as it was some years ago. No word about Aliona. I just can't imagine her with a different partner, but who knows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish aliona well but really sometimes it is hard to say good bye. Statistically speaking it is rather doubtful that she, K and S will all be around skating competitively for 2018 but who knows. I know Pang and Tong will say they are glad they continued but I wonder... do they REALLY feel that way? Do these skaters have a plan and life outside of skating - i would worry if they rely upon skating for their livelihood and who they are.