Savchenko wants to continue... | Golden Skate

Savchenko wants to continue...

paircheck

Final Flight
wow

she said in a press converence today that the sochi games are not her last olympics (she s 30!)

Robin wants to retire after this season, but not she!!!

so ...

have u an idea? who s gonna fit with her Skating/character???

eric radford? :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
my god. the Fumie Suguri effect :disapp:
and I thought Yuko at 32 was bad enough

OTH, maybe she should pair up with Alexander Smirnov

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Savchenko and Radford would make a wonderful couple! Unfortunately he's not that great a lifter. I think he's a wonderfully artistic skater and she could complement him well. It'd be quite the story though ... a Canadian and a Russian Olympic champ from Ukraine pairing up. :laugh:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Rockne Brubaker? Although he's had so many switches over the last few years. Can't think of anyone else. I don't want Radford to split up with Duhamel, and I don't think he wants to, either. Smirnov could work if Yuko wants to retire. It's too bad she couldn't pair up with H. Zhang but I think it'd be hard to get Chinese citizenship and he's already doing well with Peng, anyhow. What citizenships does she have? Did she have to renounce Ukrainian to skate for Germany?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She and Smirnov would make an interesting pairing. If Megan Duhamel retires, so would she and Eric Radford.

either of those two will do
Duhamel is the weak link in D/R

I have a feeling she wont get a better partner and will just retire anyways

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Rockne Brubaker? Although he's had so many switches over the last few years. Can't think of anyone else. I don't want Radford to split up with Duhamel, and I don't think he wants to, either. Smirnov could work if Yuko wants to retire. It's too bad she couldn't pair up with H. Zhang but I think it'd be hard to get Chinese citizenship and he's already doing well with Peng, anyhow. What citizenships does she have? Did she have to renounce Ukrainian to skate for Germany?

yes, she is a German citizen now
anyways I doubt she and Smirnov will pair up even if Yuko retires

don't see that happening, she seems to have grudge skating in Russia

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
either of those two will do
Duhamel is the weak link in D/R

I agree Duhamel is the weaker link, but there are no female pairs skaters capable of pulling off the technical moves she does. I would love to see Aliona try though! SBS triple flips maybe? :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree Duhamel is the weaker link, but there are no female pairs skaters capable of pulling off the technical moves she does. I would love to see Aliona try though! SBS triple flips maybe? :biggrin:

I dont see that happening though, that would mean Savchenko hopping into another citizenhip, lol
I guess she will become a Fumie Suguri of Pairs sadly

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Are Duhamel & Radford planning to continue together, and if so until 2018? That will be one of the key pieces of the puzzle. I cant see Eric retiring yet, but I am not sure about Meghan.

Eric Radford is aging like Smirnov who are both 29 turning 30

gmyers

Record Breaker
If savchenko got citizenship it couldn't be hard for any man she wants to skate with whose not German.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:eek: That's something incredible to hear! But (even if I don't think anyone can be as good as Robin) I really admire her strength and passion! Good luck :yes:

elif

Medalist
Savchenko/Smirnov could be good but I don't see this happening. ;) Russia doesn't need strong pair team If Volosozhar/Trankov still competing. But they are not :think:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Wow. I'm surprised and a little intrigued. And yeah, pairs skaters generally do seem to have a longer "shelf life" than singles. If it's another Olympics she's planning, well, Qing Pang is 34 this year and she didn't do too bad, so why not?

anyanka

Record Breaker
You're all going to think I'm crazy but: can she partner up with Ingo instead? Bring HIM out of retirement?

If savchenko got citizenship it couldn't be hard for any man she wants to skate with whose not German.

It was very hard for her, actually. She had to do it the 'proper' way with no free pass for being an athlete. So she had to first be resident for a number of years (can't remember how long exactly now), pass language exams and so on.

It's much easier if you're from the EU but still like 3-4 years residency or so? So will be very hard for her partner to gain German citizenship before 2018 unless the government intervenes which it almost never does, I think (German culture is all about playing strictly by the rules).

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was very hard for her, actually. She had to do it the 'proper' way with no free pass for being an athlete. So she had to first be resident for a number of years (can't remember how long exactly now), pass language exams and so on.

It's much easier if you're from the EU but still like 3-4 years residency or so? So will be very hard for her partner to gain German citizenship before 2018 unless the government intervenes which it almost never does, I think (German culture is all about playing strictly by the rules).

That means she could have to look inside Germany. She wouldn't go to Russia. She might not get out!

She could go outside of Germany, can't she?

I think that her and Steuer are still a couple and even if they're not, they had a very good professional relationship and she would surely want to continue training with him. If she found a partner now, maybe some strings could be pulled given she's multiple world champion and Olympic medallist to have the process of getting her new partner citizenship speeded up somewhat, I don't really know whether that's happened much in the past at all. Any German posters could comment?

There is nobody anywhere near her level in Germany.

A very big advantage that she has is that she is really tiny. 152cm and a very petite build. So she wouldn't necessarily need a huge partner. Brubaker? :p