Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Savchenko wants to continue...

Custom Title
    You're all going to think I'm crazy but: can she partner up with Ingo instead? Bring HIM out of retirement?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    If savchenko got citizenship it couldn't be hard for any man she wants to skate with whose not German.
    It was very hard for her, actually. She had to do it the 'proper' way with no free pass for being an athlete. So she had to first be resident for a number of years (can't remember how long exactly now), pass language exams and so on.

It's much easier if you're from the EU but still like 3-4 years residency or so? So will be very hard for her partner to gain German citizenship before 2018 unless the government intervenes which it almost never does, I think (German culture is all about playing strictly by the rules).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It was very hard for her, actually. She had to do it the 'proper' way with no free pass for being an athlete. So she had to first be resident for a number of years (can't remember how long exactly now), pass language exams and so on.

It's much easier if you're from the EU but still like 3-4 years residency or so? So will be very hard for her partner to gain German citizenship before 2018 unless the government intervenes which it almost never does, I think (German culture is all about playing strictly by the rules).
    That means she could have to look inside Germany. She wouldn't go to Russia. She might not get out!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    That means she could have to look inside Germany. She wouldn't go to Russia. She might not get out!
    She could go outside of Germany, can't she?

Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    She could go outside of Germany, can't she?
    I think that her and Steuer are still a couple and even if they're not, they had a very good professional relationship and she would surely want to continue training with him. If she found a partner now, maybe some strings could be pulled given she's multiple world champion and Olympic medallist to have the process of getting her new partner citizenship speeded up somewhat, I don't really know whether that's happened much in the past at all. Any German posters could comment?

There is nobody anywhere near her level in Germany.

A very big advantage that she has is that she is really tiny. 152cm and a very petite build. So she wouldn't necessarily need a huge partner. Brubaker?

Custom Title
    Smir is a weak jumper. How many times has he messed up in big events? Already half crippled as well.
    Go for someone young who can jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I dont see that happening though, that would mean Savchenko hopping into another citizenhip, lol
    I guess she will become a Fumie Suguri of Pairs sadly
    Fumie isn't a 4-time world champion, or 2-time Olympic medalist.

Why do you feel the need to bring Fumie into this as a way of disparaging Aliona and Fumie?

What possesses you to say such mean things about skaters?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Smir is a weak jumper. How many times has he messed up in big events? Already half crippled as well.
    Go for someone young who can jump.
    Rogonov? Martiusheva-Rogonov split up...Rogonov has always been a solid jumper.

Tran! Decent jumper, expressive, had very good pair elements with Takahashi.

Custom Title
    Robin Szolkowy only 1.75m says Wikipedia. I didn't know that. So height won't be a problem. Brubaker and Tran is 1.75m, Rogonov is 1.80m.

Just thinking her with a good jumper makes me happy. This cold be unstoppable.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    You're all going to think I'm crazy but: can she partner up with Ingo instead? Bring HIM out of retirement?
    That would be literally crazy.

Smirnov's leg can't take it, that's why they announced (before his injury in autumn) this would be their last season. Yuko, on the other hand, would like to continue, but it's too much for her to start with a new partner again, agreed to finish their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Tran! Decent jumper, expressive, had very good pair elements with Takahashi.
    Yes! I was just having this thought. In addition to the advantages you listed, he's the same height as Robin, he's relatively young and he's been on the world podium before.

And teams have been known to split after a disappointment (such not making the Olympics)...

I wonder if Savchenko herself has anyone in mind.

Custom Title
    But Tran went through a heartbreak of pairing up with non-Canadian and didn't go anywhere.
    He would not compete for Germany. He wouldn't move to Germany.
    I don't think she wants to compete for Canada or moves away from her coach either.

On the Ice
    I honestly don't think there is much truth in this story.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast