Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I can't say I was surprised. Why didn't they put Maxim Kovtun in the SP? Isn't this the type of situation why federations name alternates?

maybe they did, but unless he's all dressed up doing warm-up behind the side board along with the group, Plushy pulling out 2 seconds before the group started competing wouldn't exactly give him time to fill in for him.

The deadline for making a replacement had passed DAYS ago, per ISU Communication No. 1844.
For entries related to individual Figure Skating events (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance, Ladies) it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10th, 2014, for the same circumstances as mentioned above (injury and/or sickness).

coppertop1

On the Ice
I knew Plushenko's body wasn't completely healthy, but I didn't see him withdrawing at the event. Not the way he wanted to go out. They couldn't call Kovtun, the deadline to call an alternate had passed.

qazwsx

Rinkside
It reminded me what Michelle Kwan did, was it in Torino? she made sure that she pulled out early enough to allow the alternate to fill in for her, what a classy act, and what a contrast to the situation here..I doubt Plushy had any second thought about Kovtun by withdrawing at the last second.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
It reminded me what Michelle Kwan did, was it in Torino? she made sure that she pulled out early enough to allow the alternate to fill in for her, what a classy act, and what a contrast to the situation here..I doubt Plushy had any second thought about Kovtun by withdrawing at the last second.

I can definitely see why people might be ticked for Kovtun.

Lord knows I'm no Plushy fan, but in fairness to the guy, he might have been under some pressure to compete in the individual men's event for exactly this reason. He draws an audience in Russia.

alex2155

Spectator
Would they have even been able to sub for Plushenko since he did the team event. The Russians only had one male spot, since Plushenko already competed it seems he was locked into the individual as well.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I can definitely see why people might be ticked for Kovtun.

Lord knows I'm no Plushy fan, but in fairness to the guy, he might have been under some pressure to compete in the individual men's event for exactly this reason. He draws an audience in Russia.

I agree. Yeah, I sometimes have issues with Plushenko's attitude, but I doubt he did this as an attempt to block Kovtun. The deadline was the day after the team event and Plushenko probably thought he was healthy enough to compete at that point. Even if he withdrew before the men's there wouldn't have been time. I don't think it's fair to say he did this to deliberately block Kovtun, especially considering he originally wanted to only do the team and then was told under the rules he couldn't do that. It's just really bad luck. It goes to show like with anything else, don't but all your eggs in one basket, which is what the Russian Skating Federation with Plushenko, go with the established legend, instead of chancing a newcomber. Was that a mistake? Maybe. It didn't hurt them in the team event. It sucks for Kovtun, but it also sucked for Plushenko and the Russians.

The women's event is one of the last events at the Olympics, so the window of opportunity for an alternate to be called is much larger.

peg

Medalist
Wow. I don't think anyone saw this coming.
On the contrary, I think lots of people saw it coming. In fact, I was surprised when last night, he was still listed to skate. I had expected him to withdraw pretty much right after the team event. But I guess because of him initially saying he would only do team and then being told he had to do both unless he was seriously injured, he pushed forward for an extra couple of days. Still, it was completely expected.

VirMo

On the Ice
Just wow. People go to the Olympics to see one skater and then leave?

For them probably it's like you went to see Beyonce to a concert, but Beyonce suddenly cancels when you are there and you have to sit there to listen to a bunch of singers you have never heard of for another hour and a half. Plush is a superstar in Russia, but can't say the same thing for the sport itself.

BlackPack

Medalist
Say what you want about Plush. It is evident he loves his country. It is unlikely he did this deliberately to hurt anyone, especially Kovtun. It was Plush's last fight. Regardless of intentions though, it did hurt Kovtun, but to be realistic, Kovtun might not have skated well nor would he have sold as many tickets.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Say what you want about Plush. It is evident he loves his country. It is unlikely he did this deliberately to hurt anyone, especially Kovtun. It was Plush's last fight. Regardless of intentions though, it did hurt Kovtun, but to be realistic, Kovtun might not have skated well nor would he have sold as many tickets.

This is why I don't think he chickened out. He wouldn't disappoint his fans in his home country like that. He was clearly upset that he couldn't skate. It's too bad for Kovtun but it wasn't intentional, just bad luck. The Russian federation felt he could bring home a medal and was a better shot than Kovtun.

waxel

Final Flight
Who really knows? After his own early comments about only wanting/planning to skate Team, his withdrawal seems suspect. His interviews appear genuine but that's unsurprising, after all he is a natural showman.

I'm just glad that the world of figure skating can move on without the cloud of Plushy.

BlackPack

Medalist
Who really knows? After his own early comments about only wanting/planning to skate Team, his withdrawal seems suspect. His interviews appear genuine but that's unsurprising, after all he is a natural showman.

I'm just glad that the world of figure skating can move on without the cloud of Plushy.

I thought he was just being patriotic. But once he was in the game, given his superb competitive history and nature, I don't think he would have given up in front of his country, his own family without good reason.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
No plushenko, no one to support
so I understand why many left the arena after her pulled out
Well I guess that's what so many here find disheartening: They didn't feel like enjoying the others and cheer for them.

I'm not implying he already knew he would retire before the deadline for Kovtun to replace him. But Plushenko certainly wouldn't find even the possibility that another Russian man would get attention from the Russian audience appealing. Especially given the aggressive bickering that went on between the 2.
Using this exposure to have an emotional exit where all his die-hard fans - and most of the rest - would just say "oooh, poor Zhenya!" was worth infinitely more to him than allowing Russia to have a man in this event. That's going to be a youtube video his fans will cherish.
Michelle Kwan could also have said "let me wait until the very day of the event before I make my final decision", but she did retire in time for Emily Hughes to replace her.

aschiutza

On the Ice
But if he would have done that you all have bickering here that he planned that. If you "FS FANS" woudn't have been so negative about his situation from beginning perhaps he would have been more easy on it. So he wanted to give everything he have and he did it.

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, obviously as a spectator, I have no idea about what went on the scenes.

It is clear that Plush does love Russia with all his heart. I'm not a big Plush fan. I'm guilty of having mocked him and Mishin over the years. Is he full of hubris? I'd say yes. But I don't think he would disgrace his country by giving no Russian man to skate in Sochi until his body truly failed him. I think he would have given Russia his best shot and I also think he would have gladly have someone else represent his country until he was absolutely sure he wasn't competitive.

Big Deal

Final Flight
he has announced 2 months ago that he only want to compete at the Team event.
Than it was a long fight for him behind the scenes for HIS OWN Team Gold medal, to be able to be a part of the Team which would go to Russia without him as well.
It was his only possible way to get another gold in this sport and he was ready to kill Kovtun, Menshov or anybody like he did last year when he wnt to his 7th European Champion title in front of Gachinski. Gachinski was falling completely apart after this silver medal.

I think that leaving the competitive sport will boost Russian Men field.
As one of the previous post mentioned that: the cloud moved on, and they can feel the reason to get up early morning going to a training session.

My compliment goes to him because he put himself together for the team competition, but for HIMSELF.

An important chapter of a great talent and a very selfish, many times unsportif, arrogant competitor has been closed.
Amen

Artistry

On the Ice
Twitter has a picture of a press conference or informal interview Plush is giving to a bunch of reporters.

Where can one find the video for that? If anyone knows, would you post a link please?

bibi24

Final Flight
Twitter has a picture of a press conference or informal interview Plush is giving to a bunch of reporters.

Where can one find the video for that? If anyone knows, would you post a link please?

thanks brah, waiting x2