Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats | Golden Skate

Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a shame. So many spectacular performances with at least one that would have clearly overtaken his...

coppertop1

On the Ice
Wow. I don't think anyone saw this coming. So disappointing for the Russians and for Plushenko. I don't think he would have withdrawn unless it was serious. This is why you can never count your chickens (or in this case medals) before they hatch at the Olympics. Anything can happen. You can see the energy just get drained. I would not have wanted to skate in complete silence. They did come back alive as the evening picked up.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Part of to blame is the ticket sales
on a given day, somewhere between 72 - 92% of tickets are sold to russians/local citizens
as Sochi games were catered for the mass public.

VirMo

On the Ice
They just wanted to see Plush, not figure skating. I think it was better that they left. Good for them, good for the skaters, good for the rest of the crowd who actually cares about the rest of the competition.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He already did his job of selling the tickets.

This is the reverse of higher attendance for the last groups.

Becki

Medalist
and Kurt Browning said that was the "best" crowd he has ever seen. He must be exaggerating or he's never been to Japan.

After 1/4 of the crowd left, we had the Japanese fans cheering!!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I sort of get that. Even in Beijing in 2008 once the Chinese athletes performed, in some cases, they just got up en masse and left, leaving plenty of empty seats. A lot of people paid expressly to see Plushy

That and / or I'm guessing a lot went over to the medal plaza to see V/T and S/K get their medals if that ceremony was going on at about the same time? That must have been a madhouse.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Part of to blame is the ticket sales
on a given day, somewhere between 72 - 92% of tickets are sold to russians/local citizens
as Sochi games were catered for the mass public.

Is it the price same as for tickets bought in advance or are they given away at a nominal price?
When I'm looking at the Sochi2014 ticket on-line sale page only the most expensive tickets are left for many events.
I doubt that many "last minute" visitors are going to pay big amounts.

RobinA

On the Ice
They just wanted to see Plush, not figure skating. I think it was better that they left. Good for them, good for the skaters, good for the rest of the crowd who actually cares about the rest of the competition.

Just wow. People go to the Olympics to see one skater and then leave?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't understand how one could leave, even if they came for the Plu. I mean, didn't they pay money for this? How discouraging for the other skaters. And it is not like this was a b-competition where no one of importance skated. Ew.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Wow. I don't think anyone saw this coming. So disappointing for the Russians and for Plushenko. I don't think he would have withdrawn unless it was serious. This is why you can never count your chickens (or in this case medals) before they hatch at the Olympics. Anything can happen. You can see the energy just get drained. I would not have wanted to skate in complete silence. They did come back alive as the evening picked up.

Seriously? It was pretty obvious that his body didn't have that many programs left in it, frankly he did well to be able to complete the team event.

alex2155

Spectator
Sad! But if they only came to see Plushenko then they probably would have left after his skate had he skated anyways. So they probably only left 5 minutes earlier than they would have otherwise. Too bad!

Memelah711

Rinkside
I can't say I was surprised. Why didn't they put Maxim Kovtun in the SP? Isn't this the type of situation why federations name alternates?

qazwsx

Rinkside
I can't say I was surprised. Why didn't they put Maxim Kovtun in the SP? Isn't this the type of situation why federations name alternates?

maybe they did, but unless he's all dressed up doing warm-up behind the side board along with the group, Plushy pulling out 2 seconds before the group started competing wouldn't exactly give him time to fill in for him.