Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats

aschiutza

On the Ice
he has announced 2 months ago that he only want to compete at the Team event.
Than it was a long fight for him behind the scenes for HIS OWN Team Gold medal, to be able to be a part of the Team which would go to Russia without him as well.
It was his only possible way to get another gold in this sport and he was ready to kill Kovtun, Menshov or anybody like he did last year when he wnt to his 7th European Champion title in front of Gachinski. Gachinski was falling completely apart after this silver medal.

I think that leaving the competitive sport will boost Russian Men field.
As one of the previous post mentioned that: the cloud moved on, and they can feel the reason to get up early morning going to a training session.

My compliment goes to him because he put himself together for the team competition, but for HIMSELF.

An important chapter of a great talent and a very selfish, many times unsportif, arrogant competitor has been closed.
Amen

Such a pity that nasty posts won't go to an end after his retreat. I would have said also Amen to that.

Have you seen all the videos of him cheering for the team? Didn't he give it all what it takes for russain team to take the gold? How pleased was to be there with all of his team?

Sometimes people cannot see further than their own prejudice. That give sadly more information about them than about the skaters....

Would have retreat and let Kovtun in his place you all would cry foul (like you cryed over and over in the last month), has he not you all cry selfish Plushenko. Man he cannot win in your eyes.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plush opened the team event with a great sp and all his team got a boost, he was screaming to all skaters from his seat, V/T said that watching him gave them a reason to be clean so his effort won't be in vain, he and Trankov were shouting to lipnitskaya middle way of her program like the best fan boys, he prompted audience to cheer louder for Julia, just with a hand move he had audience in his palm, they needed a skater of Plushenko status in Russian team event, audience too, this is something Kovtun couldn't do, people like Plush, Joub, Dai are needed and with this attitude fs will end up a small miserable snobbish sport. I see Hanyu and Jason though being the next darlings, cause they make audience feel relevant.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't understand why people would snark about the audience leaving. How is it any different to when the Yuna fans all swarm an arena for her, and then leave right after?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't think it is different, it is equally as horrible, no matter who you're leaving for. But this is the Olympics, not some little b-event, where you have one star and the rest is an afterthought. Loads of great skaters to come, who would've bested Plushenko, either way. These fans are fans of a person and not a sport, which is sad.

seniorita

Record Breaker
The ones who would have bested Plushenko ' score yesterday were at group 4, audience was there, with the exception of 5-6 skaters it was a subpar competition, but most audience was there until 4 group, I don't know why it is not obvious from vids?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Did they let people with cheap upper seats tickets sit in the empty lower seats closer to the rink after group 4?

Big Deal

Final Flight
Would have retreat and let Kovtun in his place you all would cry foul (like you cryed over and over in the last month), has he not you all cry selfish Plushenko. Man he cannot win in your eyes.

Yes, you are right. he can NOT win in my eyes since he jumped on the top of the Podium in Vancouver, before the actual Olympic Champion (whome I don't like, don't misunderstand me) was called to get there.
It showed his real personality to me:
1.ME
2.Me
3.Me

My fans
The rest of the World.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Personally speaking until Joubert I was not able to move but for last group I could go on same section some rows further down, you could not go to a different section or sections downstairs though, from12th row of balconies went and sat in 3rd. I don't know if it was not allowed just went and didn't ask, I suppose if there was a prob volunteers would have told me.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Yes, you are right. he can NOT win in my eyes since he jumped on the top of the Podium in Vancouver, before the actual Olympic Champion (whome I don't like, don't misunderstand me) was called to get there.
1.ME
2.Me
3.Me

My fans
The rest of the World.

Well if you like to judges the persons you meet from 10 minutes of their life and you think you see "their real personality".... i hope we never meet. Because i don't like to be so quick judged. But whatever...

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
After Kwan skated her Short Program in Salt Lake City the arena was half-empty.
I remember watching Fontana & Meier in a quiet stadium.
If people want to pay A LOT of money not to watch something let them.
Me, I would want to get my moneys-worth & stay to the end.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The whole Plushenko story line was handled so poorly from the very beginning by Evgeni himself and the Russian federation. Extremely selfish and short sighted on both their parts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For them probably it's like you went to see Beyonce to a concert, but Beyonce suddenly cancels when you are there and you have to sit there to listen to a bunch of singers you have never heard of for another hour and a half. Plush is a superstar in Russia, but can't say the same thing for the sport itself.

That would be like if Beyonce went first and Pink or Kelly Clarkson showed up after and you left after Beyonce cancelled. If Plushenko were the final act then it obviously wouldn't have been disrespectful to the other skaters to leave.

I can't believe some people are actually defending those who left after "who they came to see" withdrew. It's so disrespectful to the sport and to the Olympics in general. It's like going to a film fest to a Brad Pitt movie expecting him to discuss the movie after in person, but when you find out he isn't showing up, you skip the movie altogether.

How would the Russians feel if the Korean and Japanese fans left after Kim and Asada before Julia/Adelina skated... Or left if V/M and D/W skated before the Russians and then North American/other fans left?

Considering how many people would kill to watch this stuff live, it's sad to see people who actually get to go
treat it more as a celebrity sighting than an Olympic competition. :rolleye:

waltzjump

Rinkside
I keep reading in internet and even in newspapers that Plushenko should have retired before the Individual event. Actually he could not, as he attended the team event. Ottavio Cinqualta was neat, speaking to Italian tv at the Europeans. An entry must be occupied by one skater during the Olympics. After the deadline for a skater's first event is over, the entry is his. His Olimpycs have begun, and he can not be replaced anymore. If he retires between two events, the entry is obliterated.

Lizameflo

Spectator
I can't judge it as I felt like leaving too. Ok, don't get me wrong, I was not there but I've been a Plushenko-fan for 13 years and to see him WD like that was really too painful to watch. It really got me sad and honestly sick. I can assure you, I would have left too.....ok, I would have come back in an hour or so...maybe. I would have left the building too not because I don't love FS (I DO) or because I do not respect the other skaters (I love Jason and Yuzuru) but I can imagine seeing Plushenko being hurt and forcing himself to withdrawn LIVE must have been extremely emotional (and I am not even russian).

WinterLily

Rinkside
I don't think it is different, it is equally as horrible, no matter who you're leaving for. But this is the Olympics, not some little b-event, where you have one star and the rest is an afterthought. Loads of great skaters to come, who would've bested Plushenko, either way. These fans are fans of a person and not a sport, which is sad.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I just assume Menshov will retire but if Voronov doesn't I don't see why he couldnt beat Kovtun at Russian nationals. After Voronov Gachinski did beat Kovtun when he was actually doing his very worst ever. So I think it all depends on Gachinski. But after Voronov and Gachinski I don't know if Kovtun would be beatable.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
1.ME
2.Me
3.Me

My fans
The rest of the World.

You are a devoted hater.. what a ridiculous and malicious post..Shame on you..you don't want to know him..His fans always support him, he has the biggest and loyal fanclub in the world..I think i know who are you... I help you.. we are from same country..and that is the sad you know the details but you come here and you write your lies..

Can you imagine that an athlete does not want to skate to those who had bought the tickets because of him? That is a big responsibility... I think your hate took away your common sense.....

And anybody wants to know his attitude with his fans? and his fans's attitud with him? read Plushenkonews on twitter , or his Facebook page's messages.. or his officila website..he acquired many new fans and the old fans much more love him...

https://twitter.com/PlushenkoNews
https://www.facebook.com/Plushenko

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well if you like to judges the persons you meet from 10 minutes of their life and you think you see "their real personality".... i hope we never meet. Because i don't like to be so quick judged. But whatever...
shame on her..