Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko withdraws/retires - at least 1/4 crowd retreats

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was great that the Russophile audience left in droves, leaving a 'normal' audience for the rest of the skaters. The audience that remained cheered equally for all the skaters, and it was a refreshing change from what we saw and heard for the pairs.

I'm already dreading what's to come for dance and especially ladies.

Antilopa

On the Ice
And I hope Russian hockey team and the crazy ballet dancer with drum are going to ladies too and support their girls like they supported pairs. It was fun!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I thought it was great that the Russophile audience left in droves, leaving a 'normal' audience for the rest of the skaters. The audience that remained cheered equally for all the skaters, and it was a refreshing change from what we saw and heard for the pairs.

I'm already dreading what's to come for dance and especially ladies.

Oh god. At least B/S will skate after V/M and I/K won't skate before W/P or D/W. I feel really bad for Coomes/Buckland though who will have to wait at least another minute before the crowd calms down from I/K's inevitably inflated scores.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well I guess that's what so many here find disheartening: They didn't feel like enjoying the others and cheer for them.

I'm not implying he already knew he would retire before the deadline for Kovtun to replace him. But Plushenko certainly wouldn't find even the possibility that another Russian man would get attention from the Russian audience appealing. Especially given the aggressive bickering that went on between the 2.
Using this exposure to have an emotional exit where all his die-hard fans - and most of the rest - would just say "oooh, poor Zhenya!" was worth infinitely more to him than allowing Russia to have a man in this event. That's going to be a youtube video his fans will cherish.
Michelle Kwan could also have said "let me wait until the very day of the event before I make my final decision", but she did retire in time for Emily Hughes to replace her.

Kozuka also could have been 7th. Dai is/was injured..Why did send him to Oly the Japanese Federations ??? I'm really curious of your answer..

and I have a bad news for you..Plushy got many new fans..especially in US. And the old fans understand him and his decision and they really think if Plushy is healthy he could have won a bronze..

American poet poem dedicated Plushenko
http://vm.ru/news/2014/02/15/amerikanskij-poet-posvyatil-plyushchenko-stihotvorenie-235536.html
In support of the Russian figure skater The wall street journal published bezrifmennuyu poem "The last jump Plushenko." http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/02/14/evgeni-plushenkos-last-leap-olympic-poetry/

EVGENI PLUSHENKO

Eventually, the body will surrender,

sometimes silently, stoically, panting

like a faithful dog willing to obey, desperate

to do what we want, but the surgeries,

the battering, the wounds we have

seen mark their tattoos of decay

will eventually overwhelm even the

most noble of flesh, and it will be us,

heart on hand, the heavy throb of nerves

screeching in our vertebrae, the numbing

in our legs, as if the ice has risen