2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 90 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

Agreed, but I won't get my hopes up. They're exhausted, might have trouble motivating themselves again after the biggest event they worked for 4 years, and the media might really tire them out. Just saw a video of Hanyu being back in Japan, and that was scary. Adding in the new pressure he has, I wouldn't be suprised if he bombed worlds.
I just hope if it happens, someone else, like Javi, Dai/Kozu or Denis, will step up and win in convincing fashion.

"In convincing fashion"--I sure hope so! I don't want to see the least splatty of the splatfest ending up with a gold. I want to see good skating, and I'm sure the guys want to deliver it as well.

Hanyu has stamina problems at the best of times due to his asthma. I hope he's able to rest up between now and Worlds, and that the pressure doesn't get to him.

What was scary about the video of Hanyu back in Japan, if I may ask? Did he look sick, or was there a fan frenzy, or what? Now you have me worried.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Olympia said:
What was scary about the video of Hanyu back in Japan, if I may ask? Did he look sick, or was there a fan frenzy, or what? Now you have me worried.

Sorry to scare you. No, he looked healthy, what scared me was the bone-crushing mass of reporters. I'm just worried he'll have to attend so many interviews and media stuff that he won't have enough time to focus on his training. Plus all the expectations that he's under now. Although Mao and Dai both said they're not sure if they will retire, it feels like the japanese media wants to "prepare" and get the new figure skating star out that will have to keep the popularity of the sport up.
Japan has had so many great skaters these last years, but a lot of them might retire after this season or already have. Being the main and nearly only flagbearer for your sport in a country so obsessed with it sounds like a really tough job. I'm just being an overly worried fan, I fear :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Have you ever seen him fall when he is not on the ice?

Actually yes! There was a gif getting around a couple of years ago of him wiping out in his blade guards.

(In Patrick's defense, those things can be bastards to walk in if the floor is even a little bit damp)

Sorry to scare you. No, he looked healthy, what scared me was the bone-crushing mass of reporters. I'm just worried he'll have to attend so many interviews and media stuff that he won't have enough time to focus on his training. Plus all the expectations that he's under now. Although Mao and Dai both said they're not sure if they will retire, it feels like the japanese media wants to "prepare" and get the new figure skating star out that will have to keep the popularity of the sport up.
Japan has had so many great skaters these last years, but a lot of them might retire after this season or already have. Being the main and nearly only flagbearer for your sport in a country so obsessed with it sounds like a really tough job. I'm just being an overly worried fan, I fear :)

Thanks for the clarification. I can see how difficult it's going to be for Yuzuru with so many retirements. Japan has had an honorable chain of great singles skaters since Ito, and recently they have been blessed (and have blessed us fans) with a flock of extraordinary champions, several of whom might be among the greatest ever. And there's little Yuzuru, still a teenager, almost the only one left standing. I hope he continues to train in Canada so that, like YuNa, he is spared from the full blast of his country's expectations and eager attention. I also hope that other Japanese skaters come forward in the next year or so to share the spotlight (both its warmth and its glare) with him.

Panpie

On the Ice
Thanks for this video. I wish the medals were given out immediately after the skating events. :confused:
Yuzuru Hanyu is so cute! No wonder all the teenage girls love him. :love: :love: :love: Maybe Yulia has a crush on him. Wouldn't blame her one bit if she does.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I no longer think you can he is the best in the world. Maybe one of the best.

As for the Eric Bompard skate, that's definately one of his best skate ever. Unfortunately I don't see him pulling it off again given the way he has been landing his 3A

Not just one of his best... arguably THE best ever (it certainly has the world record for FS and total points). His 3A was actually relatively solid (for him this season), having landed 5/8 cleanly leading up to Sochi. Unfortunately it just wasn't there when he needed it most. He's still landed probably the greatest number of quads in competition this season (maybe a fairly consistent jumper like Voronov or Machida have him beat).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Frankly, I think both Patrick Chan and Yuzur's PCS at free skakte Olympic should be between 85 or 87 because they made mistake (well, :slink:so did the others men). Their score in SP are okay, I think, baring all the things that had happened before them.:laugh:
Even with such lower scores in FS, the replacements would stay the same thanks to their high scores in SP. My ideal scores would be like this:rolleye::

Yuzuru: 276.11 (101.45+ 173.64)
Patrick Chan: 270.52 (97.52 + 173.10)
Denis Ten: 84.06 + 171.04 = 255.10 (This guy, he is not my favourite since I feel not much elegance and fluidity in his moves but he tried to be clean, I am okay with him being third, not to mention even if I added 5 scores to his PCS, his scores were 260.10, still much lower than Patrick Chan and Yuzuru)

So, even if both Yuzu and Patrick Chan's scores were lower (like -5 in PCS due to their mistakes in FS), they are still gold and silver medalist respectively.:rolleye:

marechal09

Spectator
Oh, come on with this EBT 2013! IT was the only one in his entire career! Don't you understand that when you fall your performance is ruined? Watch Plushenko, watch Yuna Kim if you want to see true champions and deserving olympic champions. Besides his 3A and even his 2A are inconsistent.