2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

Oreo

On the Ice
? Oh how I'd hate for this to be Jason's last performance of Riverdance...I so desperately want him to end this season on a high note like he deserves....still proud of him though :)

My guess is he'll be doing a version of it if Stars On Ice brings him on for the spring tour (and they'd be crazy not to).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So looking at the protocals on the Sochi...did not count Jason's last spin either? That is what it looks like. Ugh...

That's beyond fecking ridiculous.

I'm ragequitting and going to bed. Anger takes energy and I've been up all night.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
No, they voided the 3Lo because Jason was going for the 2A, aborted the attempt, but it took up a jumping pass. Then he again went for the 2A and landed it, taking up another jumping pass. By the 3Lo, he had used up all of his jumping passes and thus the 3Lo didn't count. Nor did the final spin.

Thanks. That makes more sense. The commentators mentioned that he didn't really leave the ground in the aborted 2A attempt, but I guess it is within the rules to take the penalty. Too bad. Those points would have put him up a place.

bekalc

Record Breaker
lol damn did anyone see joannie rochette's tweet? it was in french, but she basically said: he had the gold on a silver platter and he took the platter

kinda rude...his silver platter is still better than your pity bronze

Joannie skated great, and deserved bronze. If Chan had skated like Joannie did, he'd be Olympic Champ.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
does anyone know who Tjasa Andree Prosenc is, the ISU lady? She's been at the Euros as well, I couldn't find any info...

She was there at the 2001 Slovenian Championships to "thank Mojca Kopac and her coach Marina Pirkmajer for their work and contribution to Slovenian skating". (That was Mojca's "goodbye from competition", but she then came back for SLC and even competed again until 2004! ;))

I guess the lady must be a past Slovenian / Yugoslav figure skater, yet I couldn't find any answer to that question... anyone?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It had nothing to do with the the upping of tech content, and everything to do with the system rewarding sloppiness if you're doing quads. It would rather you fully rotate and fall then double jumps. Everything in this system depends on judges who score anonymously, and tech callers who don't seem to call things fairly and seem to have too much power.

It also has to do with the skaters who are out there. Chan is notorious for under-performing and getting held up. Hanyu has stamina issues. Fernandez has been up and down all year. Takahashi is in the sunset of his career. Jason was green and it showed, he was way nervous out there, and was slow. There was no one who has EVER taken hold of a whole season. Chan fell his way to three world championships. Hanyu has nearly ALWAYS fallen on that 4S in competition, and was only doing it to fully rotate and get the points.

We may rip on Plushenko, but he KNOWS how to skate under pressure.

Well yes, if you are going to prioritize rotations over landings, then today shouldn't be that surprising.

merinheart

Rinkside

That's an outdated article though...on his twitter Phil backtracked a bit and clarified that he meant Jeremy's last Olympics, not competition...I hope there's more definite confirmation coming soon because my heart cannot take this!! :cry:

Also this:
In mixed Yuka Sato said @jeremyabbottpcf will go to worlds. #Sochi2014
In mixed @jeremyabbottpcf said he had not yet talked to Sato about worlds. "It's up in the air" #Sochi2014

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
First of all, I'm sorry for doubting Denis Ten! He prevailed and earned that bronze fair and square. Then, Daisuke! Wonderful, wonderful amazing last skate at the Olympics. Much better than I thought he would be, and he should be very proud! I'm a bit sad it wasn't enough for a medal, but he never gave up.

Between Yuzuru and Patrick, I'm happy for them, of course, but both were so slow uninspiring and just meh, that I feel totally let down and cannot be happy. This was Patricks Chance. As soon as Yuzuru fell, I thought Patrick had it in the bag. This competition just pales so much in comparison to Vancouver. The programs were skated so uninspiring. Nerves all around and tonight they REALLY showed. Hoping for a much better Worlds with great skates, and of course a great ladies competition now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It would be so nice if Denis was clean in the SP, and clean in the LP and take the title.
If Plushenko save his team performances for today, he would probably win it all. Damn, too bad whatever holding his back is artificial and can't take it anymore.

probably even Kovtun would have out bronzed Ten here :bang:

Angryyew

Rinkside
LOL

You mean in overall skating in both programs? Torino placement will have been higher.

As a fan of BJ's since early 00's, it's been frustrating. COP constantly evolving plus injuries were his demons, I guess.

I kind of wish he had just stuck to stuff like his Matrix program. I think by trying to pick more "artistic" music he actually just highlighted his weak points. Should have stuck to what he was good at. Still, glad he had a relatively clean skate at presumably his final Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's an outdated article though...on his twitter Phil backtracked a bit and clarified that he meant Jeremy's last Olympics, not competition...I hope there's more definite confirmation coming soon because my heart cannot take this!! :cry:

Also this:

OH blah. Okay, I guess we will see. I HOPE Jason will get to Worlds. He still needs to skate a perfect Riverdance. (i.e. no URs on his second 3A) -- for heaven's sake his best TES ever is from Jr. Worlds LAST YEAR.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Messy skates, sadly. It's never fun to see the "best" of the bad skates fill the podium.

Questions
1. Why did Hanyu salchow not count in his sequence? He only got credit for 3Lz+1Lo+SEQ?
2. Will people now talk about increasing the penalty for faulty quads? How 4 years changes everything...