Jump Progression from 2010 Olympics to 2014 Olympics | Golden Skate

Jump Progression from 2010 Olympics to 2014 Olympics

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Quite a few people thought that the men's SP was a mess, but here's an interesting stat:

- in 2010, only 4 men attempted quads SP (Plushenko, Lambiel, Joubert, Schultheiss) -- 2 out of the top 15 attempted a quad
- in 2014, 17 men attempted quads in the SP (16 if we exclude Amodio tripling his) -- 14 out of the top 15 attempted a quad

It's nice to see that the men are actually challenging themselves and that the quad being a higher value is encouraging this. It's resulting in more errors, but we still had clean skates with quads from Hanyu, Liebers, Joubert, Majorov, whereas only Plushenko did a clean SP with 4T and 3A (including a -3T as part of a combo) in 2010.

I'm wondering if our GSF stats lovers would consider updating differences in jumps between 2010 and 2014... e.g. in pairs if harder SBS jumps and throws have been attempted, harder quads being attempted in men's (particularly 4S), and surely a higher number of 3-3 attempts in the ladies SP than in 2010 can be expected, etc.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I bet lots of men wished they didn't do quads now. In this sp you see why there was 4 in the Vancouver sp. I bet in the next 4 years quads go down to 2010 level.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I bet lots of men wished they didn't do quads now. In this sp you see why there was 4 in the Vancouver sp. I bet in the next 4 years quads go down to 2010 level.

Funny enough, a lot of the men didn't just make mistakes on their quads which led to lower scores than they could have received. e.g. Chan (3A), Fernandez (3-3), Yan (3-3), Ten (3-3), Machida (3Z), Brezina (3-3), Amodio (3A).

I think all men knew they needed a quad to be competitive and unfortunately, a lot of men crumbled under pressure or lost focus even after their quad error. Sure, maybe if they opened with a 3-3 they might not have erred. But at this point, a quad is standard and that's how it should be... even if it leads to several performances with quad errors.

Still, 6 clean quads is an improvement over 3 clean quads in 2010.

I don't think the quads levels will go down. Like with Chan, guys will have to start doing quads if they want to win.

And even if it isn't leading to as clean skates, heck, at least the field is actually pushing themselves!

Antilopa

On the Ice
I don't want to see male skating without quads. More different quads for men!
And more spirals for girls!