Yuna Kim's 1st offical practice on Sochi ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's 1st offical practice on Sochi ice

Kirk

Rinkside
Are you going to create a thread for each day's practice sessions Giveher6.0s? Enough already.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I wonder how long they get to practice each day in Sochi? I heard 30-45 minutes in the official practice rink per day. That is very little time. I hope Kim is able to get in practice at another rink somewhere in Sochi. Even an hour per day sounds so little before the Olympics. I know they also train off ice, but you'd think the best practice would always be on ice. I don't ice skate myself though, so not sure what the standard is...

thinspread

On the Ice
I wonder how long they get to practice each day in Sochi? I heard 30-45 minutes in the official practice rink per day. That is very little time. I hope Kim is able to get in practice at another rink somewhere in Sochi. Even an hour per day sounds so little before the Olympics. I know they also train off ice, but you'd think the best practice would always be on ice. I don't ice skate myself though, so not sure what the standard is...

Skaters are provided with daily TWO on-ice practice sessions of 40 min each, either in the second rink or the main rink depending on the practice schedule.

Yuna is skipping today's (Saturday) on-ice practice sessions to take a rest, per the plan she had mentioned before. She will resume her on-ice practice with Sunday's first official practice session at the main rink.

Laura Lee

Spectator
Skaters are provided with daily TWO on-ice practice sessions of 40 min each, either in the second rink or the main rink depending on the practice schedule.

Yuna is skipping today's (Saturday) on-ice practice sessions to take a rest, per the plan she had mentioned before. She will resume her on-ice practice with Sunday's first official practice session at the main rink.

Isnt that kind of risky?? Taking a day off training so close to ladies short skate?

Robeye

Final Flight
Isnt that kind of risky?? Taking a day off training so close to ladies short skate?
I really think that, at this stage of her career, Yuna should be given a little benefit of the doubt as far as her prep choices are concerned. ;)

(As a general comment: I don't know if you've participated in sports in a serious, systematic way, but in my own experience, you'll often want to taper down training before the big event; this allows your body to be fully recovered and fresh on the day. Your mind, too. Of course, every athlete is different, but that's a very common approach)

Jewels

On the Ice

They say it's because the ice condition in the practice rink is not so good, and she probably decided that taking off a day and having some rest would be better.