Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So. True. Look at Hanyu, 8 years ago.

Yuzu will still be contender in the next 4 years
Yuzu like Gracie has all the big skills and body type that has made him the ideal men's skater we have now

I think 3Lz-3T will till be a big combination next quad
that is where Gracie will get her money jumps, her speed, power will help with that

You probably said the same thing in 1997 and 1998 when Tara (who 3 years earlier nobody had heard of) was winning along with Michelle, and yet 8 years later it was still Michelle Kwan dominating.

IMHO Michelle's career was utterly unique. :love:

But it's cool that other skaters have enthusiastic fans, too, and such support I wish them. :yes:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can sense your sarcasm but I do believe Gold has the potential to dominate U.S ladies skating until 2022 potentially, especialy as the U.S doesnt even have much depth anymore so it is easier to do than before. Whether she fulfills that potential or not, is anyones guess. On the World stage she probably wont ever reach the achievements of someone like Kwan (but then again Kwan didnt face a horde of Asian powerhouses or half as deep a field as Gold is and will continue to have to), but she could put the U.S back on the map again, in a bigger way than say Wagner will ever be able to.

I agree she has that potential. Even in the US, however, there is Polina and, no doubt, others who will challenge her. I see Gracie sticking around until the next Olympics but not after that. I think she will want to go to college.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia, Gold, and Sotnikova will be the ones to beat after these Olympics. Maybe Murakami if she continues, and Osmond if she stays healthy and improves. I think moving forward though Gold's chances vs Julia will improve alot as she goes through her growth spurt, Gold improves, and they move off Russian ice for awhile. Sotnikova has improved her consistency alot and has the goods, but for some reason long term I see Gold keeping her positive success rate overall vs her so far (will probably finish behind her at the Games in Russia though.

And Elena Radionova. She has everything Julia has, with better musicality and a ton of charisma. The only thing stopping her will be a growth spurt. There are other Russian babies in the pipeline, too.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If it weren't for Elena, I would not look forward to the next ladies quad. I love her expression and joy, and her jumps aren't bad. I just hope she "survives" her growth sport, because, dare I write it, I enjoy her more than Julia. (Please, skating god, make Kanako change her mind about retiring, too)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If it weren't for Elena, I would not look forward to the next ladies quad. I love her expression and joy, and her jumps aren't bad. I just hope she "survives" her growth sport, because, dare I write it, I enjoy her more than Julia. (Please, skating god, make Kanako change her mind about retiring, too)

I agree. I totally think Elena has stronger jumps than Julia (at least her 3Z-3T carries more speed and flow), and she can do 3F-3S sequence. I hope she survives her spurt too as she could become a real power player in the next quad.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold already has an IMG contract. :)

But she looks nothing like Grace Kelly (except in the sense that all blondes look alike ;) ). At this very moment Grace Kelly is rising from the grave to come and haunt you for saying that. :yes:

Thank you, Mathman. Agree that Gold looks nothing like Kelly.

an IMG contract already, nice :yes:
its the biggest modeling agency I think in NY and the World

But presumably Gold does not have modeling contract with IMG. IMG is a talent agency representing many athletes -- and many other types of clients (other than models and athletes).

ETA:
It is nice that many skaters (American and otherwise) are IMG clients -- along with Wagner and Gold. No question that IMG has raised Gold's visibility, but she is not unique -- by any stretch -- for working with them.​

sky_fly, if you want to do Gold a favor, please stop your relentless overhyping of her, esp. your comments that have nothing to do with her skating.
Why not let her skating speak for itself?
Some of us are trying to keep an open mind about her -- her national title is a big step forward for her -- but your incessant hyperbole is a big turn-off.

Enidan

On the Ice
Of course Kim will, there is no need to ask this kind of question LOL.

2nd place can go dat bendy child
3rd place can go to dat gold girl or the old lady.
Mao will finished off the podium like 8th or 9 place.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Thank you, Mathman. Agree that Gold looks nothing like Kelly.

But presumably Gold does not have modeling contract with IMG. IMG is a talent agency representing many athletes -- and many other types of clients (other than models and athletes).

ETA:
It is nice that many skaters (American and otherwise) are IMG clients -- along with Wagner and Gold. No question that IMG has raised Gold's visibility, but she is not unique -- by any stretch -- for working with them.​

sky_fly, if you want to do Gold a favor, please stop your relentless overhyping of her, esp. your comments that have nothing to do with her skating.
Why not let her skating speak for itself?
Some of us are trying to keep an open mind about her -- her national title is a big step forward for her -- but your incessant hyperbole is a big turn-off.

it is still huge not many athletes have IMG, Maria Sharapova has I think
but neither does Mao, Carolina or even Yuna, Gracie has IMG

and also people are hyping, Yuna, Julia, Mao even Carolina
yet Gracie is jut as consistent and she is definitely more than the latter two
she is an Olympic Gold medal contender like it or not

ice coverage

Record Breaker
it is still huge not many athletes have IMG, Maria Sharapova has I think
but neither does Mao, Carolina or even Yuna, Gracie has IMG

and also people are hyping, Yuna, Julia, Mao even Carolina
yet Gracie is jut as consistent and she is definitely more than the latter two
she is an Olympic Gold medal contender like it or not

LOL, you ignored my question about letting Gold's skating speak for itself. It is very unfortunate for Gold that your overhyping is making a mockery of her (through no fault of her own) on GS. Each time you mention her name, you cause unfavorable eye-rolling that does not help her one bit.
Please let us judge Gold on her own merits. She deserves respect for winning big at Nationals with solid skates -- but not for having the most obsessed fan on GS.

BTW, many skaters (not to mention many other athletes) are represented by IMG -- including, but not limited to, IIRC:
Wagner, Davis/White, the Shibutanis, Javier Fernandez, Weaver/Poje, Duhamel/Radford, Rippon, etc., etc. [ETA: Chock/Bates as well. But maybe I was wrong about Zawadzki? Have deleted her from my list.]​
Yes, IMG's marketing clout has increased the amount of spotlight on Gold, but she is hardly their only skating client. And Kim and Asada don't need IMG (which is based in NYC); they have representation of their own.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
BTW, many skaters (not to mention many other athletes) are represented by IMG -- including, but not limited to, IIRC:
Wagner, Zawadzki, Davis/White, the Shibutanis, Javier Fernandez, Weaver/Poje, Duhamel/Radford, Rippon, etc., etc.​
Yes, IMG's marketing clout has increased the amount of spotlight on Gold, but she is hardly their only skating client. And Kim and Asada don't need IMG (which is based in NYC); they have representation of their own.

yet the others mentioned even with an IMG contract dont have that much press or endorsements or visibility
Gracie seems the most visible, she is getting alot of attention probably because she is the complete package (jumps, speed and facial beauty/body). after all IMG is still mainly a modeling agency.

imo, Gracie will be the dominant skater next quad
and she has a chance to start her build by winning Olympic gold here in Sochi

ice coverage

Record Breaker
yet the others mentioned even with an IMG contract dont have that much press or endorsements or visibility
Gracie seems the most visible, she is getting alot of attention probably because she is the complete package (jumps, speed and facial beauty/body). after all IMG is still mainly a modeling agency.

imo, Gracie will be the dominant skater next quad
and she has a chance to start her build by winning Olympic gold here in Sochi

I am getting tired of debunking your posts.
- False: "yet the others mentioned even with an IMG contract dont have that much press or endorsements or visibility"
- False: "after all IMG is still mainly a modeling agency"​

If/when Gold wins an individual Olympic medal and/or a World medal, all credit to her.
And none to you for your pompous aggrandizement (esp. when based on purely subjective and irrelevant opinions).

usethis2

Medalist
I know Yulia is the talk of the town, but does Adelina Sotnikova have no chance? She wasn't in the team game, but she's in the individuals, right?

I went back to watch the two in Russian nationals and European Championship, and Sotnikova seems to me a much better skater overall. Including Jumps. Yah I know it sucks to fall and all that, but the quality of Sotnikova's jumps were very good. Lacks a little bit of flow after landing combo jumps, but the speed, technique, height(!), air position, etc,. looked as good as any top ladies'. And I even liked her spins more than those of Liptnipskaya. (sure Liptnitskaya is more flexible, I'll give her that) And in everything else, Lipnitskaya simply doesn't compare to Sotnikova. I would have put Sotnikova way above Liptnitskaya had it not been for the all the drama following the team games and I still do. (I do wonder if Yulia is a distraction setup by Russian Federation so that Adelina can swoop in last minute, without giving much notice to competitors?)

Edit: For instance, this SP of Adelina beats anything that I have seen Yulia doing. Look how effortless and huge her jumps are. Magnificent spins, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGkHNByPqaM