Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AsadaFanBoy View Post
    Whoever delivers an inspiring and technically competitive program, having the skate of her life (clean) should get gold. Someone who deserves it, regardless of name or federation.

Regardless of what I think, I want the ladies short programs and free skates to be completely different from the men's: I want everyone to skate her best and have the skate of her life. It makes for a great competition
    I'm with you 100% here!

Welcome to GS!!

On the Ice
    I hope my two favorite ladies skaters, Mao & Yuna, will hit to podium again. Seriously, they are both incredible! I'd say both artistically EXCELLENT. I love how Mao Asada is still the only lady to incorporate the 3 axel in her programs and her flexibility is brilliant show. I prefer Yuna's technique when it comes to jumps such as the 3 lutz and flip, but Mao is good with the 3 loop and axel. I prefer a lot of Mao's spins compared to Yuna's, but Yuna's speed is remarkable! I would give an edge to Yuna, like most judges, due to her overall package and consistency (aside from flexibility compared to competition), but I seriously don't get tired of watching either skaters. The only thing I wish Yuna would change in her programs this year is her lay back spin I don't find the position very elegant/graceful (it seems a bit dull and effortless). I did like her lay back spins when she was younger though. Best lay back spin I've seen with my very short history of figure skating is from Sasha Cohen. Mao does a very nice lay back spin in her SP this year too! Julia/Yulia Lip is phenomenal at her age, but I don't quite see the maturity and elegance in her skating yet as I do from the seniors like Yuna and Mao. I do like Gracie Gold's programs as well and her 3 luts - 3 tl combo is very big (though not always straight up in the air)! If I were to hope for a 3rd place medalist (assuming Yuna and Mao won the first two spots on the podium), I'd probably select Gracie Gold this time, though to be honest, I prefer Polina Edmund's jumping technique 3 luts - 3 tl (it's amazing like Yuna's!). I'm babbling so much blah I'm excited to see first who will win the ice dance competition. Seemed like Charlie and Meryl had the edge in the team event so I'm a bit worried for Scott and Tessa although I love both teams like Yuna and Mao. Congrats to Hanyu on his Gold, he really deserved it and I think Patrick deserved his silver though it would have been cool to see him bring Gold for Canada.

Medalist
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum

Custom Title
    Welcome to both JYSkate and AsadaFanBoy!

This is going to be one tense week. I sure hope the ladies don't succumb to the tension as the men did, so we all don't get heart seizures every time someone goes for a jump. I suppose it's too much to hope for the kind of final we saw in Vancouver, where everyone in the last six did well, but I hope for it for the sake of the skaters.

Banned
    The time is near. Wishing the best to all of the competing lady skaters! Especially, retiring Yuna and Asada, just enjoy your last performance.

Rinkside
    Replace "Ross ee ya, Ross ee ya" with "Yoo li ya, Yoo li ya".

Gold isn't Kim's to win, it's Lipnitskaya's to lose, and in all honesty, if she skates as well as she did in the team competition, there is no way she will.

Custom Title
    NYT Article sums up my feelings: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/sp...itterfeed&_r=1

I would have written more about Mao, though. She's a legit contender.

Custom Title
    If Yuna skates relatively clean, I don't think Julia will win, Russian inflation or not. I mean, that's like scoring I/K over V/M or D/W.

Custom Title
    Vladimir Lenin: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

A lie is a still lie doesn't matter who told it and how many times and by what method. It may not have been found out today, but truth will always reveal itself; and those who took part, they will have to live with their own conscious and their reputation and integrity is tarnished forever.

COP is suppose to remove subjectivity from the sport. If Julia is not skating for Russia today but for Jamaica, if Olympics did not take place in Sochi, if the package was not Schindler's list, if she is not a fair child with blonde hair blue eyes that has youth on her side with probably the most partisan audience in the world, will she be earn these astronomical home PCS inflation that took the veterans years of blood sweat and tears to earn them? Should an Olympic medal be earned this way? If Sochi is to have taken place 2 years ago, it will have been Liza instead of Julia (who has far better jumps) will the whole thing still happen?

The Olympic Charter state respect, fairplay, dedication, true universality are to be followed on the moral philosophy called 'world ethos'. It is anti discrimination, corruption, or manipulation of any kind which would be the most serious infringement of the Olympic spirit. I hope this sport will abide to these ethical principles, be responsible and continue to celebrate these universal values. For it to be part of the Olympic movement, the sport must be politically neutral even if inside the arena, many of the audiences aren't.

It is one thing how general audience may feel moved seeing Schindler's list on ice from a laymen's view, but one would expect an educated, experienced, credible and knowledge judging panel should able to separate hype/sensationalism versus what is actually being delivered on ice ON THE DAY. With no agendas or biases and treat ALL skaters with equal fairness. This lady's event will be the final event to test the credibility of COP to see whether it can fulfill its stated purpose. Whether as a human race, we just can't resist tell lies under any judging system doesn't matter how preventative it is as long there are little accountability or transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by s_parks View Post
    If Yuna skates relatively clean, I don't think Julia will win, Russian inflation or not. I mean, that's like scoring I/K over V/M or D/W.
    THIS!

But I hope people can recognize that there can be multiple winners, and at the end of Thursday, when all dust settles, we have just that. If Julia can give 2 clean performances at the Olympics, before the home crowd as an inexperienced, 15-year old, that should be honored as a tremendous accomplishment, regardless of the color of the medal. If Mao can nail her triple axels at the grandest and final competition of her career, that should be recognized again as a great Olympic triumph, regardless of the color of the medal. If Ashley can give two great performances to redeem herself, that would also be a great triumph. I sincerely hope to see many winners when this competition is over. Let the greatest event at these Olympics begin!!

@Os168

Thank you for fixing arn't!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by speople View Post
    Gold isn't Kim's to win, it's Lipnitskaya's to lose, and in all honesty, if she skates as well as she did in the team competition, there is no way she will.
    And seriously, people make it sound like only Yuna and Mao have fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    THIS!

But I hope people can recognize that there can be multiple winners, and at the end of Thursday, when all dust settles, we have just that. If Julia can give 2 clean performances at the Olympics, before the home crowd as an inexperienced, 15-year old, that should be honored as a tremendous accomplishment, regardless of the color of the medal. If Mao can nail her triple axels at the grandest and final competition of her career, that should be recognized again as a great Olympic triumph, regardless of the color of the medal. If Ashley can give two great performances to redeem herself, that would also be a great triumph. I sincerely hope to see many winners when this competition is over. Let the greatest event at these Olympics begin!!
    I'm so glad people feel this way. So much cynicism and character assassination going on. Nice that you can see it for what it really is. I think Yuna has possessed you and helped you to see thru her eyes. She says it's not the result that counts but the skate. Results come with good skates. I say that is how champions think and speak!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    THIS!

What about Yu-Na? What achievement could be her triumph?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think Mao only did the 3-3 before they started scrutinizing jumps so closely. I'm sure she would have tried to add that jump if she could. I still think she should give up on the triple-axel, at least in the long program. Whatever 1 or 2 points she might be able to eke out on a botched jump will probably be lost in PCS. She should do the double axel-3T and a triple on all of the other jumping passes. With a clean 7 triple program, she could challenge Yu Na in the long and hope she makes a mistake somewhere to lose any advantage in the short.
    She attempted not one but two during the 2007-2008 season (arguably the season when they scrutinized jumps the most and URs were far more costly at the time). Anyways, she is planning a 3-3 in the LP in Sochi.

As for PCS, Mao's hasn't really changed much from last season, so I don't see the logic of judges suddenly dropping their favor for her. Mao, Carolina, Akiko's have relatively remained the same in their PCS levels. It's just that they increased the PCS of the Russian girls by a LOT in the last few months.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast