Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Lipnitskaya, Asada, and Kim: Who is most likely to get the gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Smith View Post
    What about Yu-Na? What achievement could be her triumph?
    I guess Yuna herself would say... skating happy?

Custom Title
    I don't know if Yuna would crush a clean Julia. At Worlds last year, Yuna scored around 69 in the short and 148 in the long. Didn't Julia get something like 71 in the short and 141 in the long? That would put Yuna ahead, but not by a "crushing" margin. And for those who say Yuna was underscored in the short at Worlds, I'm sure an equal number would say she was overscored in the long.

Custom Title
    Kim > Lipnitskaya > Asada. I think clean Asada beats clean Lipnitskaya but unfortunately I think Putin will start officiating gay marriages before Asada lands all the jumps she has planned.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I don't know if Yuna would crush a clean Julia. At Worlds last year, Yuna scored around 69 in the short and 148 in the long. Didn't Julia get something like 71 in the short and 141 in the long? That would put Yuna ahead, but not by a "crushing" margin. And for those who say Yuna was underscored in the short at Worlds, I'm sure an equal number would say she was overscored in the long.
    Can we just wait? Thank god we'll find out soon enough and stop all this silly speculation.

Custom Title
    ^I'm looking forwards to the SP and LP happening so all of the speculation (some delusional) can just end.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    IMO, this is disingenuous and not logically sound.

-Under the WC13 standards of judging, Julia would have gotten edge calls on her lutzes (and would have deserved them more than Yuna on her SP flip), dramatically lower GOEs on jumps, and hugely lower PCS. She would have been lucky to score 65 and 135, and would have been crushed by Yuna by a margin of 15-20 points. Minimum.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Vladimir Lenin: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

A lie is a still lie doesn't matter who told it and how many times and by what method. It may not have been found out today, but truth will always reveal itself; and those who took part, they will have to live with their own conscious and their reputation and integrity is tarnished forever.

COP is suppose to remove subjectivity from the sport. If Julia is not skating for Russia today but for Jamaica, if Olympics did not take place in Sochi, if the package was not Schindler's list, if she is not a fair child with blonde hair blue eyes that has youth on her side with probably the most partisan audience in the world, will she be earn these astronomical home PCS inflation that took the veterans years of blood sweat and tears to earn them? Should an Olympic medal be earned this way? If Sochi is to have taken place 2 years ago, it will have been Liza instead of Julia (who has far better jumps) will the whole thing still happen?

The Olympic Charter state respect, fairplay, dedication, true universality are to be followed on the moral philosophy called 'world ethos'. It is anti discrimination, corruption, or manipulation of any kind which would be the most serious infringement of the Olympic spirit. I hope this sport will abide to these ethical principles, be responsible and continue to celebrate these universal values. For it to be part of the Olympic movement, the sport must be politically neutral even if inside the arena, many of the audiences aren't.

It is one thing how general audience may feel moved seeing Schindler's list on ice from a laymen's view, but one would expect an educated, experienced, credible and knowledge judging panel should able to separate hype/sensationalism versus what is actually being delivered on ice ON THE DAY. With no agendas or biases and treat ALL skaters with equal fairness. This lady's event will be the final event to test the credibility of COP to see whether it can fulfill its stated purpose. Whether as a human race, we just can't resist tell lies under any judging system doesn't matter how preventative it is as long there are little accountability or transparency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Can we just wait? Thank god we'll find out soon enough and stop all this silly speculation.
    Although Krislite wasn't replying to you, I believe it applies here to.

Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    Kim > Lipnitskaya > Asada. I think clean Asada beats clean Lipnitskaya but unfortunately I think Putin will start officiating gay marriages before Asada lands all the jumps she has planned.
    I just imagined to Putin doing it.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    IMO, this is disingenuous and not logically sound.

-Under the WC13 standards of judging, Julia would have gotten edge calls on her lutzes (and would have deserved them more than Yuna on her SP flip), dramatically lower GOEs on jumps, and hugely lower PCS. She would have been lucky to score 65 and 135, and would have been crushed by Yuna by a margin of 15-20 points. Minimum.
    While I respect your analysis and love your keen insight to spot Russia's up and coming ladies champions. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to apply last years standards. We all know big wins and medals bring a reputation that often increases PCS. I don't think I'm delusional about this. Yulia won everything internationally with GPF her worst outing yet still being a silver medal and all this since the 2013WC. Following this line of thought one could argue that Yulia had the most successful year of any of the girls with Mao her only equal. You could argue either as the better IMO. It's really hard to deny that Yulia hasn't improved overall since 2013WC so some must be deserved, some awarded, and some being just plain momentum and home field advantage. It's the perfect storm and Yulia's consistency and odd ball charm are making it hard for judges to deny. Lets not forget the judges are there in person and susceptible to her fascinating presence and understated charm. Those looks in the FS are pretty genuine IMO and quite capable of melting a judges heart.

Custom Title
    It's so unfair that Yulia doesn't get edge calls on three lutzes. Why isn't there any outcry on account of this? If Yulia gets the same GOE for her 3Lz+3T as Yu-Na or for other jumps for that matter it'll be simply unjust.

Seeing Mao practices I think she'll deliver. If she lands her jumps she will be peerless. Even clean Yu-Na won't catch her. The judges will surely appreciate full set of triples with the triple axel on top of it.

Custom Title
    Let's all call a temporary cease-fire. Everything that we say now is going to need revisions by tomorrow, anyway.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartek View Post
    It's so unfair that Yulia doesn't get edge calls on three lutzes. Why isn't there any outcry on account of this? If Yulia gets the same GOE for her 3Lz+3T as Yu-Na or for other jumps for that matter it'll be simply unjust.

Seeing Mao practices I think she'll deliver. If she lands her jumps she will be peerless. Even clean Yu-Na won't catch her. The judges will surely appreciate full set of triples with the triple axel on top of it.
    Really, Mao's practices have been good? Even her triple axel? I haven't seen anything but I worried when Brian Boitano commented on how she just couldn't land her triple axel ahead of her SP event after, like, four attempts.

I LOVE Mao's short program. No one has her delicate style. And yet she is such an athlete. I think her SP best shows that off.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    At first I thought this thread said "who is most likely to get the cold"

So I started thinking to myself "well, Yu-Na sleeps around a lot, so probably her", but then I thought "although Asada as really let herself go, her immune system is probably very prone" and then I finally thought "of course Russia treats people like farm animals, if even that nice, so Lipnitskaya is probably lacking healthcare". In the end I think my vote goes to Yu-Na. Germs from other people is the most likely way to get sick.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Well, apparently Frank Carroll thinks Gracie has a great chance for the gold and managed to put down Julia, Mao, and Yuna in one interview! http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/sp...erfection.html I'm sensing a little desperation? Better to just let your student's skating do the talk.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I would like some of what you are smoking if you think Kim will get another 69 if she does a clean short. A 75 short (the minimum a clean Kim will get) and a 148 is way higher than a 71 and 141. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Julia's scores drop a bit from the Team Event given the complaints about them. Meanwhile there were no complaints about Kim's long program score at Worlds last year from anyone, only her short program score (although it wasnt that good a performance so I was fine with the score).
    I am smoking cold, hard numbers and you are smoking speculation. I think Yuna is going to win, but the only way she will "crush" Julia is if Julia makes mistakes.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast