Thread: Quality of Ice of the Figure Skating Rink

Hybrid View

Banned

Quality of Ice of the Figure Skating Rink

Many complain about the quality of snow by the warm weather, but the figure skating rink as an indoor facility is not prone to the weather. Nevertheless, I see many players make mistakes during the team and male figure skating competitions. Is that part of the quality of the ice? Do you notice anything different on the ice which players should be careful of?

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Peter Liebers was on the german stream after his short in the team event and actually said that the ice was great. So you cannot fault the rink for underperformances.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Peter Liebers was on the german stream after his short in the team event and actually said that the ice was great. So you cannot fault the rink for underperformances.
    Glad to hear that!

Tripping on the Podium
    No, the ice is not a problem in figure skating

Yuna Kim said that the ice in the practice rink was "different" from what she was used to, and she had to spend some time getting used to it and adjusting her skating appropriately. She said she looked forward to being able to check out the ice in the main arena later on.

In general, I think there is a variation in hardness/softness, etc. Also I have heard that perfect ice for hockey is not the same as perfect ice for figure skating. Many skating contests take place in hockey rinks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In general, I think there is a variation in hardness/softness, etc. Also I have heard that perfect ice for hockey is not the same as perfect ice for figure skating. Many skating contests take place in hockey rinks.
    Are you saying figure skating events take place in the same rink used for ice hockey, speed skating, and short track and a different ice is prepared for a different type of game?