Quality of Ice of the Figure Skating Rink | Golden Skate

Quality of Ice of the Figure Skating Rink

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
Many complain about the quality of snow by the warm weather, but the figure skating rink as an indoor facility is not prone to the weather. Nevertheless, I see many players make mistakes during the team and male figure skating competitions. Is that part of the quality of the ice? Do you notice anything different on the ice which players should be careful of?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Peter Liebers was on the german stream after his short in the team event and actually said that the ice was great. So you cannot fault the rink for underperformances.

Yuna Kim said that the ice in the practice rink was "different" from what she was used to, and she had to spend some time getting used to it and adjusting her skating appropriately. She said she looked forward to being able to check out the ice in the main arena later on.

In general, I think there is a variation in hardness/softness, etc. Also I have heard that perfect ice for hockey is not the same as perfect ice for figure skating. Many skating contests take place in hockey rinks.

Andre Smith

Match Penalty
In general, I think there is a variation in hardness/softness, etc. Also I have heard that perfect ice for hockey is not the same as perfect ice for figure skating. Many skating contests take place in hockey rinks.

Are you saying figure skating events take place in the same rink used for ice hockey, speed skating, and short track and a different ice is prepared for a different type of game?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are you saying figure skating events take place in the same rink used for ice hockey, speed skating, and short track and a different ice is prepared for a different type of game?

The Iceberg arena in Sochi is home to both Olympic figure skating and short-track speedskating.

And as a general comment, I do think ice can be and sometimes is adjusted if different sports use the same rink. (I'm sure that I have seen articles about hockey ice being modified for figure skating competitions.)

PftJump

On the Ice
Just Russian Insanity...

Figure skating and Short track speedskating in "SAME DAY".

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

Hockey ice tends to be chunkier and able to handle more wear and tear before requiring repaving. IIRC, Yagudin was critical of the ice in Skate Canada 2000 due to how hard it was. The quality and type of ice is dependent on the water, the paving method, and the thermodynamics of the ice rink.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
absolutely normal thing for Olympics

During one of the broadcasts they announced that state-of-the-art equipment is used to change the rink in between the two different events.

And to add my two cents in: I've skated skated on around nine different rinks(that I can remember) and multiple frozen surfaces outside, but my favorite is the Ice Palace in West Edmonton Mall. We had gone to Edmonton to buy my new skates at Proskate. While we were there I went skating at the Ice Palace and, with brand new skates no less, was able to do several double-toes, a jump that I was not even landing before that. There's something about the ice being softer because it's in the middle of the mall that just makes it perfect to skate on.