Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davis and White would be foolish to retire now

Custom Title

Davis and White would be foolish to retire now

No matter the outcome of these Olympics, they could win at least 2 more world titles. I think they should stick around to add more to their legacy.

Skating is something you dedicate your whole life to. I think it would be beneficial for Davis and White to branch out and try new things and have a more "normal" life, if you will. Skating is great, but they've been in the game for so many years. I think they owe it to themselves to step back after this Olympics and say "Hey, look how much we've accomplished. It's time for a new adventure." They can still stay with the sport through other outlets, like coaching or even commentary or something.

Custom Title
    I think maybe take a few months off but no way retire now... there is not really anyone who could challenge them... If they retire they would be leaving so much on the table

Medalist
    Please retire.

Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I think maybe take a few months off but no way retire now... there is not really anyone who could challenge them... If they retire they would be leaving so much on the table
    They already have an Olympic silver. Assuming they win the Olympic gold, what exactly would they be leaving on the table?

Custom Title
    They would run right over I&K, the same way Gritchuk/Platov ran over Angelika Krylova

And I dont think is funny or interesting for them to skate knowing they will get gold medal always

Banned
    some of you seriously underestimate the amount of hard work and motivation that goes into being an elite athlete....

Custom Title
    Selfish thought: if D/W stay they will help push American interest in ice dancing and catapult athleticism to the center of the sport. staying for a season or two would be wonderful for us, the new fans and the world of figure skating. I see no ceiling for them - they can rise even more this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    Skating is something you dedicate your whole life to. I think it would be beneficial for Davis and White to branch out and try new things and have a more "normal" life, if you will. Skating is great, but they've been in the game for so many years. I think they owe it to themselves to step back after this Olympics and say "Hey, look how much we've accomplished. It's time for a new adventure." They can still stay with the sport through other outlets, like coaching or even commentary or something.
    They sort of did have somewhat of a normal life since both went (or still go?) to U of M and Meryl was in a sorority. I think they should go out while they're on top though, especially since they were kind of on top back in 2010 too, just like an inch from the top lol.

The best thing for ice dance would be D/W and also V/M stay. There a bigger difference between these skaters and I/K than the scores showed. I'm waiting for some young skaters to come out of nowhere and impress everyone, just like it happened in 2009.

Medalist
    I don't want either team to stay. I hope that doesn't sound harsh .
    It's been a great four years, but I want other couples to shine, both teams already got their due.
    Let others have their turn.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    No matter the outcome of these Olympics, they could win at least 2 more world titles. I think they should stick around to add more to their legacy.
    They've been skating together since age 10. If they're ready to retire, I will respect their decision.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icedinn View Post
    I don't want either team to stay. I hope that doesn't sound harsh .
    It's been a great four years, but I want other couples to shine, both teams already got their due.
    Let others have their turn.
    This is not Toy Story. The athletes are not there to entertain you at your whim, until you get bored with them and decide to buy a newer action figure.
    Their own wishes trump yours, I am thankful to say.

Custom Title
    What more can they possibly want? They have 3 Olympic Medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze), multiple national and international titles. There's not much left for them to accomplish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast