Thread: Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russian Federation
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2.../21471031.html
    Russian opposition lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky even called Plushenko’s inclusion on to the team and his subsequent withdrawal “dishonourable,” adding; “Maxim Kovtun is shoved aside and this invalid has brought shame upon us.”

The sensational headline does not reflect the tenor of the article. Let's go with this instead:

Still, the vast majority of skaters were sad to see the flamboyant Plushenko withdraw.

“It’s not like playing hockey, like we’re a team sport,” said Toronto skater Patrick Chan. “Figure skating is such an individual event and we compete individual against individual. We hit the stage one by one. I am disappointed he wasn’t fit to compete. I wish him well for a quick recovery.”

Custom Title
    Really the olympic spirit i was lookin for with loads of people here and there and everywhere liking to kick someone when he is down. Brings you really to think great about humanskind.

Plushenko pushed himself as far as he could go. The scheduling of the two competitions, team and individual, made it impossible for him to withdraw in time for a replacement to be named. He retires with two gold medals and two silvers in four Olympic Games, to go along with three world championships, seven Europeans, four Grand Prix Finals, and ten national championships. We will not see his like again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Plushenko pushed himself as far as he could go. The scheduling of the two competitions, team and individual, made it impossible for him to withdraw in time for a replacement to be named. He retires with two gold medals and two silvers in four Olympic Games, to go along with three world championships, seven Europeans, four Grand Prix Finals, and ten national championships. We will not see his like again.

I agree. I watched him on the 'Today show' and teared up. He's a great Champion; I truly think he thought he would be able to just do those 2 final skates.

On the Ice
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/plushen...6469--spt.html

Interesting to hear what Alexei Yagudin and Urmanov think about Plushenko's situation. I don't think Plushenko pulled out at the last minute on purpose, but I do think he and his coach made a foolish decision in having him try and do both events when his back was clearly bothering him still.

Here is the Today Show interview.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/today-legend-retires

Custom Title
    I've been a long time fan of Plushy. Now looking back his final stint at Sochi, I feel let down. His demeanor, his egotism. The final gold medal eked out of the team event won't add to my book on his glory.

He chickened out yesterday. I would have kept infinitely greater respect for him if he had skated at least the SP and given a dignified exiting bow to his fans, even if he had fallen three times.

Banned
    The irony. He chickened out because he thought he wouldn't win, but it turns out if he just skated like the team event the judges would have given him Gold.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    I've been a long time fan of Plushy. Now looking back his final stint at Sochi, I feel let down. His demeanor, his egotism. The final gold medal eked out of the team event won't add to my book on his glory.

He chickened out yesterday. I would have kept infinitely greater respect for him if he had skated at least the SP and given a dignified exiting bow to his fans, even if he had fallen three times.
    He could have at least skated to the middle of the ice-rink and bowed to the audience.

Between spitting on the ice after missing the axel and just sodding off without much acknowledgement of anyone around him, his attitude was just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the Russian Federation had already closed out that possibility by all the shenanigans that went on leading up to the Games. First, Plushenko himself announced (at Russian nationals) that he would just skate the team event and let Kovtun skate the individual. Then the ISU said no, you can't do that. Then the Russian Federation made a special appeal to the ISU/IOC for a "clarification" of the substitution rule (in other words, can we do it anyway?), but no dice. So it would have looked fishy if Plushenko had come off the ice after winning the team LP, said, "Oh my poor back, here's the required doctor's report to let me withdraw, where's Kovtun?"
    And this is why Plushenko should not have been selected in the first place. Everybody predicted something like this was going to happen and he'd have to withdraw because of very serious issues with his back. And it did happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    Did you watch him in the warm-up? He was in no condition to jump, it looked horrible.