Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think this vid on twitter made me laugh so much

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post
    I really do not understand why Plush gets all this blame. It was clear from the beginning, from the way the event was scheduled and the rule for replacements, that Russia had indeed some alternatives but all of them for the same result: the team medal. The Russian man, no matter who, was doomed to skate 4 programs (2 SP-s and 2 LPs) and, even worse, to compete 2 days in a row after having competed in both events in the team competition!
    This has never happened before and no other skater had to skate so many events at one competition, with this schedule from hell! So why would anyone have these unrealistic expectations for Plush, a 31 y.o skater?
    The Russian Federation absolutely knew this but took the best decision for the team, especially considering that the men SP was the first event and set the tone for the entire team. Plush did great, delivered and I am sure that the federation is happy. Moreover, this gold medal for Plush consolidated his legendary status which after all is quite pleasant for mother Russia.
    Had Russia used the injury excuse to replace Plush with Kovtun, I am sure that all hell would have broken loose and might have antagonized the entire skating world, including the judges – not good at all for the other individual events.
    The Russian Federation was astonishingly clever for not replacing Plush: he is now getting all the blame but the Federation is a delicate, innocent pansy
    Yeah a lot of people excepted Plushenko to withdraw after the team event one way or another. So although he's injured the outcome is the same.

Even though the Federation is whining I'm sure they're happy that Plushenko skated the way he did in the Team Event. Once upon a time, some thought he might be the "weak link" on the Russian Team (especially after Russian Nationals). But he had two commanding performances and was 2nd in the SP (ahead of Patrick Chan) and 1st in the Free. His first performance was an incredible morale booster after the SP. That's when people started saying it's over for Canada, with an unexpectedly strong Plushkeno, Russia's winning is inevitable....

Who ever gets interviews of Plushy in english, please never correct him, he is adorable, CNN interview. Sorry I had to gush. I think he doesnt get the questions right but anyway.
    Where is MK interview with Plush, so I can square - gush?

Custom Title
    I think Evgeni did his best in the team, short and long and made a favorable impression. His only mistake was not acknowledging immediately after the team event that he was hurting and could never produce for the individual event. I think these physical ailments did not mysteriously appear during the short warm-up. He could have come up big for his county by immediately after the team event saying that his physical problems prevent him from producing at the highest level that Russia deserves for the individual. Give time for the other guy to step in. There would have been some fall-out but not as bad as pulling out during the warm up. This is where egos get in the way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree with you on both points. First, it looks with hindsight as if Russia was assured of the team gold, but if things had gone down as you say, that might not have been the actual outcome.

More than that, Plushy galvanized the entire event and gave it more impact and validity. After all, this is the first time team skating has been featured. If more skaters had done a mediocre job, it would seem almost like a cheesefest and maybe unworthy of remaining an Olympic event.

And then there's what we know of Plushy's character. This is just not a guy who gives up, and he's especially not a guy who gives up his place in the spotlight. He has lived to skate for more than half his life. Now, as well as trying to defeat the rest of the world, he wanted the satisfaction of defeating Father Time and also his own physical problems. And he almost did it, too!
    Hah the team event was a cheese fest. Only 3 teams could medal. And the Russians were gifted with Julia's SP win and Plu's LP win which made the results that much more predictable. The team ladies FS and free dance didn't even have to skate before the medals were determined.

I would hate for the team event to continue. And I say this coming from a country that got an easy medal out of it.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    I think Evgeni did his best in the team, short and long and made a favorable impression. His only mistake was not acknowledging immediately after the team event that he was hurting and could never produce for the individual event. I think these physical ailments did not mysteriously appear during the short warm-up. He could have come up big for his county by immediately after the team event saying that his physical problems prevent him from producing at the highest level that Russia deserves for the individual. Give time for the other guy to step in. There would have been some fall-out but not as bad as pulling out during the warm up. This is where egos get in the way.
    I think Plush stating that he preferred to do the team event and let someone else do the individual sort of painted them in a corner though. Apparently ISU was not obligated to replace him if he withdrew sooner and if there was any suspicion of funny business going on in order to withdraw and bring in someone else, they risked getting their medals revoked. I read that somewhere so don't completely quote me, but that wouldn't surprise me.

Custom Title
    Now he wants to compete in 2018 Olympics

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...157958207.html

Custom Title
    ??? By then, he would make history as the first human-robot hybrid to skate in the Olympics.

It's ridiculous to say that he brings "shame" to Russia. For heaven's sake, the man has two gold and two silver Olympic medals!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Now he wants to compete in 2018 Olympics

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...157958207.html
    Please tell me he is making a funny joke, yes?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    He has lost his mind

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    i didnt even laugh, sometimes he has a strange sense of humor? Or heat hit him in the head? It was too hot in Sochi, for Winter Olympics time.
    I guess he can comeback by coaching?
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-18-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10