Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia | Golden Skate

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

Taan

On the Ice
Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russian Federation
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2014Sochi/News/2014/02/14/21471031.html
Russian opposition lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky even called Plushenko’s inclusion on to the team and his subsequent withdrawal “dishonourable,” adding; “Maxim Kovtun is shoved aside and this invalid has brought shame upon us.”

:eek:hwell::eek:hwell::eek:hwell:

The sensational headline does not reflect the tenor of the article. Let's go with this instead:

Still, the vast majority of skaters were sad to see the flamboyant Plushenko withdraw.

“It’s not like playing hockey, like we’re a team sport,” said Toronto skater Patrick Chan. “Figure skating is such an individual event and we compete individual against individual. We hit the stage one by one. I am disappointed he wasn’t fit to compete. I wish him well for a quick recovery.”

aschiutza

On the Ice
Really the olympic spirit i was lookin for with loads of people here and there and everywhere liking to kick someone when he is down. Brings you really to think great about humanskind.

Plushenko pushed himself as far as he could go. The scheduling of the two competitions, team and individual, made it impossible for him to withdraw in time for a replacement to be named. He retires with two gold medals and two silvers in four Olympic Games, to go along with three world championships, seven Europeans, four Grand Prix Finals, and ten national championships. We will not see his like again.

ranjake

Final Flight
Plushenko pushed himself as far as he could go. The scheduling of the two competitions, team and individual, made it impossible for him to withdraw in time for a replacement to be named. He retires with two gold medals and two silvers in four Olympic Games, to go along with three world championships, seven Europeans, four Grand Prix Finals, and ten national championships. We will not see his like again.

I agree. I watched him on the 'Today show' and teared up. He's a great Champion; I truly think he thought he would be able to just do those 2 final skates.

thinspread

On the Ice
I've been a long time fan of Plushy. Now looking back his final stint at Sochi, I feel let down. His demeanor, his egotism. The final gold medal eked out of the team event won't add to my book on his glory.

He chickened out yesterday. I would have kept infinitely greater respect for him if he had skated at least the SP and given a dignified exiting bow to his fans, even if he had fallen three times.

Ven

Match Penalty
The irony. He chickened out because he thought he wouldn't win, but it turns out if he just skated like the team event the judges would have given him Gold.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I bet he was thinking" Oh, i was the second and the first in team competition with clean performances, i beat Chan and some others, let's now freak out and chicken". Do you find something more logical to say or logic is suspended when we speak about the-man-is-a-must-here-to-hate?

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The irony. He chickened out because he thought he wouldn't win, but it turns out if he just skated like the team event the judges would have given him Gold.

Not a chance that would have happened.
I'm not sure about him "chickening out", I believe he is hurting but I do think this was the original plan and they couldn't execute it properly and/or legally.

LRK

Record Breaker
" ''Perform through the pain for the honor of the country,'' Igor Lebedev, a parliament member from the nationalist Liberal Democrats, said on Twitter."

Lovely. Well, we can't all have the pain tolerance of politicians. I mean, it would have been a piece of cake for Lebedev, no doubt - but we can't all be like him, now, can we?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Actually, with his 91 points and 268 points (already both inflated), he would have earned bronze at best.

^ And then he would have ridden off into the sunset with five Olympic medals, instead of a paltry four. :yes:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^ And then he would have ridden off into the sunset with five Olympic medals, instead of a paltry four. :yes:

Hah, I know you're joking, but four isn't paltry at all! ;) He has shown remarkable jumping consistency across 4 Olympics, and that's something many skaters would kill to have during even ONE Olympics.

noskates

Record Breaker
Unless he's a damn good actor, he looked like he was really hurting. The really interesting thing was an interview that Javier gave yesterday when he said they all knew Plushenko wouldn't be able to skate the short. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I don't for a minute believe that Kovtun wasn't ready. If they all had been smart about it they would have had him in Sochi practicing just in case.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Unless he's a damn good actor, he looked like he was really hurting. The really interesting thing was an interview that Javier gave yesterday when he said they all knew Plushenko wouldn't be able to skate the short. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I don't for a minute believe that Kovtun wasn't ready. If they all had been smart about it they would have had him in Sochi practicing just in case.

Plushenko being injured could be legit. But Kovtun not being ready or too sick to compete is the biggest bull I've ever heard... they're simply trying to get the public to not vilify Plushenko for withdrawing.

And whatever, if Kovtun couldn't have competed, maybe Voronov could have, so I don't see why they're even pushing for this "Kovtun was sick anyways" spin.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He would have to be astoundingly good actor to do that with his eyes!! Just total internal devastation and then the terrible 2 axel as well. Like Doing a 2 axel that bad on purpose would be amazing.