Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

I never thought PLu would win gold but dear god, with his marks from team where his lp was messy he would have been bronze and I bet he would have skated with more heart and purpose andput on a ashow than all these healthy 20 year olds who looked like they didn't want to skate in olys

That's a good point. How can we possibly criticize Plushenko when we just witnessed what the so-called best skaters in the world brought?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I didn't expect this comment especially from you? What exactly did you want to see, a reality show?, miss universe bow out? Tears and screams? To a completely stunned audience that was shouting 1 min ago like crazy, he went to judges, stopped people from further cheering and bowed out, how fast does one want to disappear withdrawing in front of home crowd in Olympic Games?
btw I didn't give SO cause from the whole noise I didn't understand what's going on, and by the time I did it was too late.

I agree. I don't know what people expected him to do. Seniorita I hope you got to see Plushy skate in the Team Event?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the Russian Federation had already closed out that possibility by all the shenanigans that went on leading up to the Games.

Math, I just can't believe that anyone who had the surgeries Plushenko had would risk injury by the jumps. I can't believe that Russia had so little faith in Kovtun to give the spot to Plushenko.

So now I wonder...what did Russia gain???

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(same for Yags who you know is loving this; funny we didn't hear from him after Plush helped win team gold)..

Why would you assume that Alexei is loving this?? ...and how do you know that Alexei didn't congratulate him??

Those who truly care about him (which aren't those people) understand and can still look back on his incredible legacy.

There are many skaters that have incredible legacies.

blue_ice

On the Ice
He didn't qualify for Olympics, Kovtun won Nationals and they sent falling apart Plushenko anyway. I think it's a shame. And team event would survive perfectly without him winning gold because of Yulia and V/T

gmyers

Record Breaker
Math, I just can't believe that anyone who had the surgeries Plushenko had would risk injury by the jumps. I can't believe that Russia had so little faith in Kovtun to give the spot to Plushenko.

Team Gold? One of only 2 so far! Plushenko was integral! Kovtun getting closer and closer to Sochi made people panic as his combo in team SP could be like his worlds 2013 combo of 3t-2t. Him being the reason there was one spot. Him bombing at Euros. It all meant Plushenko!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Have to agree with blue_ice. With Plushenko Russia won by a landslide. But with either Voronov of Kovtun at least it would have been more interesting and still won. Plushenko could have had some other high profile role here in Russia. They all must know that this was wrong.

amc987

On the Ice
To be fair, the IOC/ISU kind of set up this situation. I understand that the draw has to be done before the day of the SP, but I think Plushenko actually injured himself between the withdrawal deadline and the SP. It may have been a sudden thing or the cumulative effect of doing the team competition and then trying to come back to do the individual competition- we'll never really know. We do know that Plushenko's stated preference was to withdraw after the team competition and give Kovtun a chance. The powers that be said that Plushenko couldn't do this unless he sustained a serious injury. Somehow that pronouncement and, I'm assuming, euphoria after his performance in the team competition changed Evgeni's mind and compelled him to skate in the individual event. By the time he realized he was too injured to compete- I'm guessing it was the morning of the SP because he apparently did not jump at all during that practice- it was too late for him to be replaced.

There should have been an option for on-site alternates to skate. That would've prevented this whole debacle.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Unless he's a damn good actor, he looked like he was really hurting. The really interesting thing was an interview that Javier gave yesterday when he said they all knew Plushenko wouldn't be able to skate the short. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I don't for a minute believe that Kovtun wasn't ready. If they all had been smart about it they would have had him in Sochi practicing just in case.
Remember Evan sort of hinted Plushy was in pain and not well days before so I am not too surprised. No plushy wouldn't win gold but a bronze was possible and would have sved us the istuation where we had so many sos o people fighting for bronze. Forget people's favourites but we had javier, Denis, the Czech boys, joubert, the american hope in Jason - it would be fitting Plushy win bronze and then no one can say they got lucky with the bronze of those boys in the dog fight. I still would have liked a tie for gold between Hanyu and Chan and no other medal but one could dream - Hany and chan are far superior to the rest okay maybe not Dai in his prime. But Javier and Denis have huge consistnecy issues and Denis and Javier do not have the quality of chan and Hanyu

AT the end of the day so far the olympics have produced mediocre and forgettable medallists and performances. Davis and /white will not help as they are not the charismatic skaters of yeser year. It will be up to the woman to save this olympics. People will disagree but remember you can't always have fantabulous skaters and skates at the olympics or we would not have any truly special skates or skaters.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Have to agree with blue_ice. With Plushenko Russia won by a landslide. But with either Voronov of Kovtun at least it would have been more interesting and still won. Plushenko could have had some other high profile role here in Russia. They all must know that this was wrong.

I don't think it's true at all that they "know this was wrong". Their strategy got a team gold. Everyone has seen how bad voronov and kovtun can do. Team gold could've been lost easily. Who was it wrong to or for?

I think Kovtun would have got the spot if he had performed satisfactorily at Europeans. To be selected in place of a living legend like Plushenko, you can't just tiptoe in the back door and hope that someone will think you are a little bit better. You have to break the door down.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Team Gold? One of only 2 so far! Plushenko was integral! Kovtun getting closer and closer to Sochi made people panic as his combo in team SP could be like his worlds 2013 combo of 3t-2t. Him being the reason there was one spot. Him bombing at Euros. It all meant Plushenko!

This is all circumstantial. Kovtun could have delivered a Cup of Russia SP for all we know and his freeskates this season have been half-decent. Just like people can't assume Plushenko would have delivered if healthy given his Volvo SP or Russian Nationals LP.

And for those who say Plushenko would have delivered the same FS (with an extra quad) as the team event, that's like saying Reynolds or Abbott or Chan would perform the same as in their team event segments which obviously weren't the case.

moviechick

On the Ice
Team Gold wasn't a sure thing for Russia. A lot of people were predicting a very tight race with Canada. It's not at all surprising that they went with the legend who is known for his insane consistency.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Michelle Kwan :http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...rom&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed she loves Plushy.. I saw some sweet moments with them in some videos and pics in Sochi

Five athletes we've fallen in love with at the Sochi Olympics http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/evg...igure-skating-sage-kotsenburg-sochi-olympics/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/evgeni-plushenko-olympics-heartbreaking-sochi-figure-skating/ This is the most heartbreaking moment of the Olympics

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4367949-plushenko-was-the-best-skater-of-his-era/ Plushenko was the best skater of his era

official statement of Russian skating federation... google translator:
http://translate.google.com/transla...p://fsrussia.ru/news/1098_bez-viny-vinovatyj/

Wrongfully Accused?

Olympic competition in men's figure skating at the Olympic Games in Sochi will be today without the participation of the Russians. Now two-time Olympic champion Yevgeny Plushenko, who won gold at this Olympics in the team competition and could not continue the fight in the standings.
In the short program, Plushenko individual competitions went 7th starting number. Together with the other skaters he went to workout. Spectators gathered mostly look at him, went into ecstatic cries of "Russia!". But by the end of the warm-up skater drove to a side where there were coaches and doctor of the Russian team, and from there went to the judges. In what was happening at this moment on the ice, did not want to believe. The room fell silent. And in that silence Plushenko left the ice. Shocked viewers, as is customary in such cases, he did not even applauded.
In the locker room Plushenko went along with the doctor, without giving any comments to reporters. A minute later came the press athlete coach Alexei Mishin. A few minutes in Russian and English explained that back problems, which gave itself felt towards the end of any rental program during the team competition, not allow his wife to continue playing in Sochi.
Plushenko is repeated himself, appearing later in the mixed zone. On the issue of completion amateur career did not give a definite answer and officially that he is leaving the amateur sports not announced.
"As you know, the story does not tolerate the subjunctive mood. If yes how to make it known, so there is no point in discussing. We must rely on the facts. And the facts are: Plushenko helped our team win gold in the team competition. It's a fact, "- commented Tamara Moskvina famous. According to the coach, we can only guess, as would have behaved in place our Plushenko any other athlete who'd played in the Olympics. What Plushenko during the years of his boxing career has learned to cope with any pressure, and in this sense it can be called a genius athlete confirmed and choreographer Maxim Kovtun U.S. champion in ice dancing Pyotr Chernyshev.
Olympic Games, the more domestic, is not only a celebration, but also crazy stress for athletes. No wonder they say that the Olympics will win the one with the strongest nerves. In this sense, Plushenko coped with. Asked the team winning rhythm, and together with other athletes won a gold medal - until one of the two Russian team gold at this Olympics.
"We should not forget that the relatively recently underwent major Eugene spinal surgery. No guarantee that he will be able to pursue a career, no one gave the athlete. He remained in fact one of the few chances and a great desire to perform in Sochi. Plushenko desire was so great that he was able to recover, and made ​​the program skated in the team competition at the Olympic Games, to support the guys. And not just support, but his example showed how to do it. In the short program team tournament Zhenya was second, won the long program. He gave all the power team competitions. And if not for the circumstances, it would have continued and in personal appearances.
In big sports injuries are not uncommon. And because of this, when an athlete is removed from the competition, then going on to include health, so do not really understand why what happened with Plushenko has caused such a stir. The team won the gold medal Eugene. Do skaters at this Olympics has three medals. A job that federation and team set ourselves we even exceeded. But there are two other kinds - ice dancing and the female figure skating. Let's focus on this "- said the president FFKKR Alexander Gorshkov.
Replace Plushenko after the team competition by a substitute that was envisaged regulations ISU was not possible. The reason for the replacement was to serve "fresh" injury received during the competition at the Olympics, but not the consequences of old. But by virtue of permanently emerging team tournament after severe back pain to continue personal competition Plushenko could not.
"During the operation in Israel Wife rigidly fixed two vertebrae, resulting in the adjacent vertebrae are experiencing heavy load. This leads to a change in the vertebral joints and their greater mobility. Because hyperextension capsules of these joints may occur severe back pain that happened yesterday before the short program.
Ride in this state athlete could not.
Yesterday evening, Plushenko was examined in our medical center. He underwent anesthetic blockade. Today it looked neurosurgeon. Improved condition of the athlete. Further recommendations of experts: a consultation with the attending physician in Israel who operated Plushenko to develop appropriate course of treatment, "- said the team doctor Jaroslav Bugaev.
Situations Plushenko many now want to do a PR. And some politicians and the media have even more to attract the audience. Some of our leaders have agreed to in order to limit the period of performance of athletes in two Olympic Games. However, it is worth recalling that the great Irina Rodnina performed at three Olympics and won three Olympic gold medals.
Plushenko for the Games in Sochi was the fourth in a row. And he brought four of our team medals. Both wanted and promised Plushenko out of this great sport undefeated, becoming now a two-time Olympic champion. And to not say the word - to win gold in Sochi - he kept.
Olga Ermolina, Sochi

http://fiorerouge.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/my-plush-post/ fanatstic!

he received criticism but he has many-many defenders Moser, Trankov, Moskvina etc..skater who was with him on ice, when he got injured..

The end of an era as #Plushenko says so long. @Tara_Lipinski, @EvanLysacek and Paul Wylie weigh in on his legacy:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/yevgeny-plushenko-revered-and-divisive-ends-legendary-career NBC

Tarasova http://itar-tass.com/sport/965701

some old twitts before the men SP

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford Feb 11

.@EvgeniPlushenko Practice: 2 falls on 3A & 4T, but hit both jumps other times. No run-thru, worked a bit on closing combo spin

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford Feb 11

Late with this "news," but Plushenko did not attend his evening practice today.

Evan Lysacek ‏@EvanLysacek Feb 11

Plushenko having rough practice. 4T looks �� 3axel giving him trouble. Have never seen him fall so much. Worried bout his back. Careful Plush

Elvis Stojko ‏@Therealestojko Feb 11

@EvgeniPlushenko looking good!

Plushenko did a cascade of "4-3-3" before the performance in the individual tournament Olympics
http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20140212/723766394.html

HE WANTED TO COMPETE!!!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is all circumstantial. Kovtun could have delivered a Cup of Russia SP for all we know and his freeskates this season have been half-decent. Just like people can't assume Plushenko would have delivered if healthy given his Volvo SP or Russian Nationals LP.

And for those who say Plushenko would have delivered the same FS (with an extra quad) as the team event, that's like saying Reynolds or Abbott or Chan would perform the same as in their team event segments which obviously weren't the case.

The selection of plushenko was except for the real third among Russian men at euros all based on speculation! Guessing. Circumstantial evidence. Kovtun could've done a COr sp. he had opportunity at euros.

Icey

Record Breaker
Plush should get the poor sportsmanship award of the decade. From the beginning this has been a selfish seizure on his part.

noskates

Record Breaker
First of all SkaterBoy, I don't think Davis and White have lost the charisma of yesterday. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think they just get better and better. Just a little OT there. Didn't mean to digress but couldn't let that pass.

Okay - Plush wanted to COMPETE (in big capital letters) I want to land a quad toe.......but some mornings when I get out of bed I can hardly walk -so wanting and being able to do something are worlds apart. But I also don't think for a minute that Plush, had he skated, would have been in contention for the bronze! His jumps alone, even if landed, were not enough to out skate someone such as Dai, Fernandez, Ten, etc. who have the whole package. His choreography was dismal in the team competition.-I realize the Russian federation was using him as a draw to put butts in seats. And it worked judging by the number of empty seats that were empty after he disqualified himself. What I think is sad in this whole brouhaha is that a young man's health has been compromised and he has injuries that will most likely impair him for the rest of his life. Hope those ticket sales were worth it!

As for Kovtun - I said this in another thread. He should defect!!!

LRK

Record Breaker
As for Kovtun defecting. Why? It's not as if he has received no favours from the Rus fed - and he has Tarasova in his corner.

If he can learn to hold his nerve, I don't doubt he has a bright future ahead of him, based on talent as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Kovtun would have got the spot if he had performed satisfactorily at Europeans. To be selected in place of a living legend like Plushenko, you can't just tiptoe in the back door and hope that someone will think you are a little bit better. You have to break the door down.

^this :rock: