Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

^ And then he would have ridden off into the sunset with five Olympic medals, instead of a paltry four.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ And then he would have ridden off into the sunset with five Olympic medals, instead of a paltry four.
    Hah, I know you're joking, but four isn't paltry at all! He has shown remarkable jumping consistency across 4 Olympics, and that's something many skaters would kill to have during even ONE Olympics.

Custom Title
    Unless he's a damn good actor, he looked like he was really hurting. The really interesting thing was an interview that Javier gave yesterday when he said they all knew Plushenko wouldn't be able to skate the short. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I don't for a minute believe that Kovtun wasn't ready. If they all had been smart about it they would have had him in Sochi practicing just in case.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Unless he's a damn good actor, he looked like he was really hurting. The really interesting thing was an interview that Javier gave yesterday when he said they all knew Plushenko wouldn't be able to skate the short. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I don't for a minute believe that Kovtun wasn't ready. If they all had been smart about it they would have had him in Sochi practicing just in case.
    Plushenko being injured could be legit. But Kovtun not being ready or too sick to compete is the biggest bull I've ever heard... they're simply trying to get the public to not vilify Plushenko for withdrawing.

And whatever, if Kovtun couldn't have competed, maybe Voronov could have, so I don't see why they're even pushing for this "Kovtun was sick anyways" spin.

Custom Title
    He would have to be astoundingly good actor to do that with his eyes!! Just total internal devastation and then the terrible 2 axel as well. Like Doing a 2 axel that bad on purpose would be amazing.

Tripping on the Podium
    That grimace in the warmup was not faked. However, after the Team event, he should have atleast pulled out to give Kovtun or Voronov a shot. It's not like he and his federation were ignorant about his serious back injury.

Custom Title
    I do believe he was hurting. And for someone who has occasional bad backs, I can only imagine what it would be like to try to walk, skate or jump with one. But my issue is - I don't think he reinjured it in the warmups. The fact that he didn't jump in the early morning practice was pretty telling. I think he knew when he stepped off the ice after the team long program that he was done!!!

It's just too bad - even though I don't care for him - that a great skater like Plush has the end of his career besmirched in this way. The interview with Andrea Joyce after the team competition was arrogance personified. The interview with her after he withdrew was a whole different story......humbled, sad, dejected, etc.

that's why comebacks are so discouraged. An illustrious career can now be marred by an instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Plisskin View Post
    That grimace in the warmup was not faked. However, after the Team event, he should have atleast pulled out to give Kovtun or Voronov a shot. It's not like he and his federation were ignorant about his serious back injury.
    I think the Russian Federation had already closed out that possibility by all the shenanigans that went on leading up to the Games. First, Plushenko himself announced (at Russian nationals) that he would just skate the team event and let Kovtun skate the individual. Then the ISU said no, you can't do that. Then the Russian Federation made a special appeal to the ISU/IOC for a "clarification" of the substitution rule (in other words, can we do it anyway?), but no dice. So it would have looked fishy if Plushenko had come off the ice after winning the team LP, said, "Oh my poor back, here's the required doctor's report to let me withdraw, where's Kovtun?"

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    I've been a long time fan of Plushy. Now looking back his final stint at Sochi, I feel let down. His demeanor, his egotism. The final gold medal eked out of the team event won't add to my book on his glory.

He chickened out yesterday. I would have kept infinitely greater respect for him if he had skated at least the SP and given a dignified exiting bow to his fans, even if he had fallen three times.
    He could have at least skated to the middle of the ice-rink and bowed to the audience.

Between spitting on the ice after missing the axel and just sodding off without much acknowledgement of anyone around him, his attitude was just awful.

I think the Russian Federation had already closed out that possibility by all the shenanigans that went on leading up to the Games. First, Plushenko himself announced (at Russian nationals) that he would just skate the team event and let Kovtun skate the individual. Then the ISU said no, you can't do that. Then the Russian Federation made a special appeal to the ISU/IOC for a "clarification" of the substitution rule (in other words, can we do it anyway?), but no dice. So it would have looked fishy if Plushenko had come off the ice after winning the team LP, said, "Oh my poor back, here's the required doctor's report to let me withdraw, where's Kovtun?"
    And this is why Plushenko should not have been selected in the first place. Everybody predicted something like this was going to happen and he'd have to withdraw because of very serious issues with his back. And it did happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He could have at least skated to the middle of the ice-rink and bowed to the audience.

Between spitting on the ice after missing the axel and just sodding off without much acknowledgement of anyone around him, his attitude was just awful.

And this is why Plushenko should not have been selected in the first place. Everybody predicted something like this was going to happen and he'd have to withdraw because of very serious issues with his back. And it did happen.
    After he set the motion for gold in team! So all those people and you can just drop it! You didn't get your precious Kovtun or whoever because you hate Plushenko so much!

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    After he set the motion for gold in team! So all those people and you can just drop it! You didn't get your precious Kovtun or whoever because you hate Plushenko so much!
    What I hate is rules not being clear and transparent and everybody not being given a level playing field. This was a mess from the beginning and it ended with a mess.

P.S. Russia was 10 points ahead of Canada. Even if Kovtun/Voronov had given two terrible performances, Russia would have still won the gold.

Tripping on the Podium
    Hmm, if that was the case Kovtun/ Voronov should have went instead of him. I understand he loves the sport and it's hard to let go. But It's not like they needed Plushenko badly for the team event. Russia was guaranteed gold unless a disaster happened. 2010 Olympics should have been his last go, ending on a high note. Instead, he had to scratch an event (that only happens every 4 years) that 1 of his healthy countrymen could have done and possibly placed either a good top 10 finish or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

OK, I get that Plush criticism from all fronts. But he did go out there and take a final bow to which he received a (mostly) standing ovation.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    OK, I get that Plush criticism from all fronts. But he did go out there and take a final bow to which he received a (mostly) standing ovation.
    All I remember is him taking this small bow when getting off the ice and being near the boards.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast