Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

Boycott the ISU
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Actually, with his 91 points and 268 points (already both inflated), he would have earned bronze at best.
    If Plushenko competed I bet the judges would have killed Chan and Hanyu even more. They would have found a way if Plushenko went clean

I wonder if Plush is sitting there now after how the SPs and LPs went going. "I could've doubled everything and made it..."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    If Plushenko competed I bet the judges would have killed Chan and Hanyu even more. They would have found a way if Plushenko went clean
    I doubt it. I severely doubt Plushenko even healthy could have landed 2 quads (as we saw, he didn't attempt 2 quads in the team FS) as well as two 3As... it had been over a decade (I think) since he ever successfully did 2 quads and 2 axels. Of course, people will spew the "If he were healthy" rhetoric ad nauseum, even with his FS from Russian Nationals. As the Olympics showed, he can give a good performance while injured, and a bad performance while supposedly healthy (as Russian Nationals showed).

I think it's absolutely disrespectful to call him an invalid and saying that he "brings shame". If anything, he's been a star in Russia and the world for figure skating, and even with screwing over Kovtun from an Olympic experience, that doesn't negate all that he's done.

FYI, Plushenko's clean SP was only 91 points, 6.5 back of Chan, and 10 points back of Hanyu. Hanyu and Chan each scored 178. So Plushenko would have had to do 2 quads and 2 axels to get 275 for silver (a FS of 184) and 281 for gold (a FS of 190 points). His personal best is 176. Maybe at his supreme best he could have beaten Chan, but not Hanyu, and he certainly hasn't ever skated a CoP level program with 2 clean quads and axels, and certainly wouldn't get Nationals-level inflation (i.e. 95 points even with all those doubles).

Boycott the ISU
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I doubt it. I severely doubt Plushenko even healthy could have landed 2 quads (as we saw, he didn't attempt 2 quads in the team FS) as well as two 3As... it had been over a decade (I think) since he ever successfully did 2 quads and 2 axels. Of course, people will spew the "If he were healthy" rhetoric ad nauseum, even with his FS from Russian Nationals. As the Olympics showed, he can give a good performance while injured, and a bad performance while supposedly healthy (as Russian Nationals showed).

I think it's absolutely disrespectful to call him an invalid and saying that he "brings shame". If anything, he's been a star in Russia and the world for figure skating, and even with screwing over Kovtun from an Olympic experience, that doesn't negate all that he's done.

FYI, Plushenko's clean SP was only 91 points, 6.5 back of Chan, and 10 points back of Hanyu. Hanyu and Chan each scored 178. So Plushenko would have had to do 2 quads and 2 axels to get 275 for silver (a FS of 184) and 281 for gold (a FS of 190 points). His personal best is 176. Maybe at his supreme best he could have beaten Chan, but not Hanyu, and he certainly hasn't ever skated a CoP level program with 2 clean quads and axels, and certainly wouldn't get Nationals-level inflation (i.e. 95 points even with all those doubles).
    I know what the scores were. I wasn't the one calling him invalid or disgraceful either. Just saying that it was ironic he didn't compete because he couldn't win, but it turned out he might have had a shot after all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I know what the scores were. I wasn't the one calling him invalid or disgraceful either. Just saying that it was ironic he didn't compete because he couldn't win, but it turned out he might have had a shot after all.
    Oh, no I was referring to the OP about "invalid" and "brings shame", not anything you said.

I agree he might have had a shot, but people are delusional if they think he had much of a shot higher than bronze, even with help from the judges (who, mind you, would not have all propped him up -- note his Russian's FS earned 95 PCS and was far worse than his FS in the team event which got 86 PCS).

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I didn't expect this comment especially from you? What exactly did you want to see, a reality show?, miss universe bow out? Tears and screams? To a completely stunned audience that was shouting 1 min ago like crazy, he went to judges, stopped people from further cheering and bowed out, how fast does one want to disappear withdrawing in front of home crowd in Olympic Games?
    btw I didn't give SO cause from the whole noise I didn't understand what's going on, and by the time I did it was too late.

On the Ice
    Plushenko is a pretext. This is Zhirinovsky vs. Putin.

Tripping on the Podium
    Plush was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He clearly also helped move ticket sales for the event as well which was a big reason to include him. He might be disappointed now, but I hope he recovers as well as he can. All of those putting him down haven't achieved what he has (same for Yags who you know is loving this; funny we didn't hear from him after Plush helped win team gold). I actually have to say that Putin has it right in this instance. I really think the ones complaining are a vocal few. Those who truly care about him (which aren't those people) understand and can still look back on his incredible legacy.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I never thought PLu would win gold but dear god, with his marks from team where his lp was messy he would have been bronze and I bet he would have skated with more heart and purpose andput on a ashow than all these healthy 20 year olds who looked like they didn't want to skate in olys

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    " ''Perform through the pain for the honor of the country,'' Igor Lebedev, a parliament member from the nationalist Liberal Democrats, said on Twitter."

Lovely. Well, we can't all have the pain tolerance of politicians. I mean, it would have been a piece of cake for Lebedev, no doubt - but we can't all be like him, now, can we?
    Good for you, LRK. I don't think some people understand what disc problems involve. We're dealing with the central nervous system here. Plushy may not even have been able to control his legs. I'm not Plushy's greatest fan, but I admire him, ego and all, and feel fairly sure that he would have skated if his entire body had felt as if it were on fire. Pain alone wouldn't have stopped him. This was beyond what willpower, even his, could get done.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I never thought PLu would win gold but dear god, with his marks from team where his lp was messy he would have been bronze and I bet he would have skated with more heart and purpose andput on a ashow than all these healthy 20 year olds who looked like they didn't want to skate in olys
    That's a good point. How can we possibly criticize Plushenko when we just witnessed what the so-called best skaters in the world brought?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I didn't expect this comment especially from you? What exactly did you want to see, a reality show?, miss universe bow out? Tears and screams? To a completely stunned audience that was shouting 1 min ago like crazy, he went to judges, stopped people from further cheering and bowed out, how fast does one want to disappear withdrawing in front of home crowd in Olympic Games?
    btw I didn't give SO cause from the whole noise I didn't understand what's going on, and by the time I did it was too late.
    I agree. I don't know what people expected him to do. Seniorita I hope you got to see Plushy skate in the Team Event?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the Russian Federation had already closed out that possibility by all the shenanigans that went on leading up to the Games.
    Math, I just can't believe that anyone who had the surgeries Plushenko had would risk injury by the jumps. I can't believe that Russia had so little faith in Kovtun to give the spot to Plushenko.

So now I wonder...what did Russia gain???

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danibellerika View Post
    (same for Yags who you know is loving this; funny we didn't hear from him after Plush helped win team gold)..
    Why would you assume that Alexei is loving this?? ...and how do you know that Alexei didn't congratulate him??

Quote Originally Posted by Danibellerika View Post
    Those who truly care about him (which aren't those people) understand and can still look back on his incredible legacy.
    There are many skaters that have incredible legacies.

On the Ice
    He didn't qualify for Olympics, Kovtun won Nationals and they sent falling apart Plushenko anyway. I think it's a shame. And team event would survive perfectly without him winning gold because of Yulia and V/T

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast