Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Russian opposition politician says 'Invalid' Plushenko brings 'shame' to Russia

moviechick

On the Ice
It's kinda funny how so many of us are formerly Team Yagudin but nostalgia is really making me love Plush these days. Also my respect for him grew ten fold after I heard he signed the petition opposing the anti-gay law in Russia.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
I'm a far bigger Yagudin fan, but I don't see how anyone wouldn't be at least a tiny bit jealous of Plushenko's huge achievements and his status in Russia.

Also the whole daddy issues with Mischin.

Agreed. Plushenko was also voted as Russia's Sportsperson Of The Year over Ovechkin. Yagudin might have won the rivalry when competed but he might still have feel cheated by the kind of career Pluskenko had along with the status he achieved etc.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I wish them both well in whatever they're doing now. I hope that Plush can find a niche outside the skating world to be successful in.

NOSKATES! Don't you understand? He is succesful what he is doing..much more than Yagudin.. and he has 4 sons..and they want two daughters too.. so he will be very busy..

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOSKATES! Don't you understand? He is succesful what he is doing..much more than Yagudin.. and he has 4 sons..and they want two daughters too.. so he will be very busy..

Who has 4 sons?? Plushenko?? I thought he had 2 sons.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well what is he doing? And what are you going to do once he completely leaves the scene? There will be no one to defend ad nauseum on this skating board. I make a simple statement that I wish him well and it becomes yet another argument. This is getting boring. And what difference does it make to anyone who is more successful? And how do you define success? Money? Medals? A happy life?

Seruleane

Final Flight
I do think yagudin at his peak was overall a better skater than plushenko, if only due to more mature artistry and presentation. But plushenko has the greater legacy if simply because he has been competing for a longer time. So yes, I think yagudin's remarks are colored by his jealousy. Sad b/c all his disparaging remarks of plushenko just make him sound jealous and petty.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who has 4 sons?? Plushenko?? I thought he had 2 sons.

Two biological sons, Yegor and Sasha, and two step-sons - Yana's sons from her first marriage. Yegor, of course, is Plushy's son from his first marriage.

But yeah. Lots of kids is obviously in Plushy's game plan. :)

sirota

Rinkside
You know how people in Russia tired from Plushenko and his wife and constant scandals that follow them last few years. A lot of us are watching with disgust the development of their soap opera

LRK

Record Breaker
You know how people in Russia tired from Plushenko and his wife and constant scandals that follow them last few years. A lot of us are watching with disgust the development of their soap opera

Why? Quite regardless of Plushy, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I don't care two straws about Swedish celebrities - and therefore don't have even the foggiest notion of what they are up to. It's like when people say things like "we aren't interested in the political opinions of film stars!" - if you aren't interested, why do you know about them then? I certainly don't. So, why follow a soap opera you aren't interested in? What's the point? Unless of course, you do enjoy being indignant. Reminds me of the trailer to an old movie, where the neighbour lady is saying, shocked: "Oh, what are they up to! In the living room too! I can't watch - I really can't watch!" (staring for all she's worth, obviously), and her husband replies laconically: "Force yourself, why don't you." (or words to that effect)

ETA - On reflection I realised that the above was really a digression - to which I am afraid I'm prone :) - so thought of deleting it, but changed my mind about that as well. So, my apologies for my meanderings, and please ignore and carry on the discussion. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You registered now..this is your task? Are you Zhirinovsky's man? I read many russian articles and opinions...very interesting situation...look at Zhirinovsky's life and principle, disgusting...and everybody knows he has a personal game with Yana...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
They're probably like the Posh and Beckham of Russia. A lot of overexposure.

Ha-ha, yess :biggrin: The Russians could follow every moments of their first marriage and divorce..and Yana's fight for her children. I believe that is too much, but the journalists think they need to write about them..

seniorita

Record Breaker
Russia didn't need his help. Even with Voronov they'd have a chance.

Emm ..mens competition was the first one out of all the disciplines, how would it work if Kovtun was 4th lets say in sp, earning 7 points, meaning that Chan and the two skaters above had already higher marks and the 3 discipnines after had the pressure to skate their best, when Team event started it was not such clear Russia would get the Gold, especially if they had Chan on Lp, or Abott skating to his potential, so leave aside the ticket sales, all the international media attention, the ambiance of the arena screaming "Zenya" all the time and him encouraging all skaters after him, prompting the audience to clap louder, the skaters themselves said that when they saw Plushenko killing it in sp they felt like doing their best not to let him down, he was the one having the most experience of Olys, he was a great leader on the team even if Bobrova was the captain. After he skated Fs they all went and hug, it was two disciplines out of their way, you could see them already relaxed in the booth celebrating, by Lipnitskaya's skate they had a party! As much I liked Voronov and Menshov at Euros, I think Plush did the best he could in Team event.

I also think he needs an oscar if he failed those axels on purpose, cause I literally heard a crack so to speak, I also think it needs guts to go and withdraw in front of home crowd, history repeating itself, I would prefer to splat than dare do this, anyway I dont believe he injured himself then, I think team event knocked him out, he was the only man to do both sp and lp, which would be fine if he was healthy enough. I find his critics really small and trying to belittle the power of will of this athlete, at this age and this condition he became competitive once more, if he really could skate he would, even if his skate is not on par with Hanyu and Chan, at least he would have fought for this Olympic medal which I cant say for almost anyone in the free.

amber68

On the Ice
I really do not understand why Plush gets all this blame. It was clear from the beginning, from the way the event was scheduled and the rule for replacements, that Russia had indeed some alternatives but all of them for the same result: the team medal. The Russian man, no matter who, was doomed to skate 4 programs (2 SP-s and 2 LPs) and, even worse, to compete 2 days in a row after having competed in both events in the team competition!
This has never happened before and no other skater had to skate so many events at one competition, with this schedule from hell! So why would anyone have these unrealistic expectations for Plush, a 31 y.o skater?
The Russian Federation absolutely knew this but took the best decision for the team, especially considering that the men SP was the first event and set the tone for the entire team. Plush did great, delivered and I am sure that the federation is happy. Moreover, this gold medal for Plush consolidated his legendary status which after all is quite pleasant for mother Russia.
Had Russia used the injury excuse to replace Plush with Kovtun, I am sure that all hell would have broken loose and might have antagonized the entire skating world, including the judges – not good at all for the other individual events.
The Russian Federation was astonishingly clever for not replacing Plush: he is now getting all the blame but the Federation is a delicate, innocent pansy :laugh:

Emm ..mens competition was the first one out of all the disciplines, how would it work if Kovtun was 4th lets say in sp, earning 7 points, meaning that Chan and the two skaters above had already higher marks and the 3 discipnines after had the pressure to skate their best, when Team event started it was not such clear Russia would get the Gold, especially if they had Chan on Lp, or Abott skating to his potential, so leave aside the ticket sales, all the international media attention, the ambiance of the arena screaming "Zenya" all the time and him encouraging all skaters after him, prompting the audience to clap louder, the skaters themselves said that when they saw Plushenko killing it in sp they felt like doing their best not to let him down, he was the one having the most experience of Olys, he was a great leader on the team even if Bobrova was the captain. After he skated Fs they all went and hug, it was two disciplines out of their way, you could see them already relaxed in the booth celebrating, by Lipnitskaya's skate they had a party! As much I liked Voronov and Menshov at Euros, I think Plush did the best he could in Team event.

I also think he needs an oscar if he failed those axels on purpose, cause I literally heard a crack so to speak, I also think it needs guts to go and withdraw in front of home crowd, history repeating itself, I would prefer to splat than dare do this, anyway I dont believe he injured himself then, I think team event knocked him out, he was the only man to do both sp and lp, which would be fine if he was healthy enough. I find his critics really small and trying to belittle the power of will of this athlete, at this age and this condition he became competitive once more, if he really could skate he would, even if his skate is not on par with Hanyu and Chan, at least he would have fought for this Olympic medal which I cant say for almost anyone in the free.

I agree with you on both points. First, it looks with hindsight as if Russia was assured of the team gold, but if things had gone down as you say, that might not have been the actual outcome.

More than that, Plushy galvanized the entire event and gave it more impact and validity. After all, this is the first time team skating has been featured. If more skaters had done a mediocre job, it would seem almost like a cheesefest and maybe unworthy of remaining an Olympic event.

And then there's what we know of Plushy's character. This is just not a guy who gives up, and he's especially not a guy who gives up his place in the spotlight. He has lived to skate for more than half his life. Now, as well as trying to defeat the rest of the world, he wanted the satisfaction of defeating Father Time and also his own physical problems. And he almost did it, too!

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
I really do not understand why Plush gets all this blame. It was clear from the beginning, from the way the event was scheduled and the rule for replacements, that Russia had indeed some alternatives but all of them for the same result: the team medal. The Russian man, no matter who, was doomed to skate 4 programs (2 SP-s and 2 LPs) and, even worse, to compete 2 days in a row after having competed in both events in the team competition!
This has never happened before and no other skater had to skate so many events at one competition, with this schedule from hell! So why would anyone have these unrealistic expectations for Plush, a 31 y.o skater?
The Russian Federation absolutely knew this but took the best decision for the team, especially considering that the men SP was the first event and set the tone for the entire team. Plush did great, delivered and I am sure that the federation is happy. Moreover, this gold medal for Plush consolidated his legendary status which after all is quite pleasant for mother Russia.
Had Russia used the injury excuse to replace Plush with Kovtun, I am sure that all hell would have broken loose and might have antagonized the entire skating world, including the judges – not good at all for the other individual events.
The Russian Federation was astonishingly clever for not replacing Plush: he is now getting all the blame but the Federation is a delicate, innocent pansy :laugh:

Yeah a lot of people excepted Plushenko to withdraw after the team event one way or another. So although he's injured the outcome is the same.

Even though the Federation is whining I'm sure they're happy that Plushenko skated the way he did in the Team Event. Once upon a time, some thought he might be the "weak link" on the Russian Team (especially after Russian Nationals). But he had two commanding performances and was 2nd in the SP (ahead of Patrick Chan) and 1st in the Free. His first performance was an incredible morale booster after the SP. That's when people started saying it's over for Canada, with an unexpectedly strong Plushkeno, Russia's winning is inevitable....

seniorita

Record Breaker
Who ever gets interviews of Plushy in english, please never correct him, he is adorable, CNN interview. Sorry I had to gush. I think he doesnt get the questions right but anyway.
Where is MK interview with Plush, so I can square - gush?

slider11

Medalist
I think Evgeni did his best in the team, short and long and made a favorable impression. His only mistake was not acknowledging immediately after the team event that he was hurting and could never produce for the individual event. I think these physical ailments did not mysteriously appear during the short warm-up. He could have come up big for his county by immediately after the team event saying that his physical problems prevent him from producing at the highest level that Russia deserves for the individual. Give time for the other guy to step in. There would have been some fall-out but not as bad as pulling out during the warm up. This is where egos get in the way.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with you on both points. First, it looks with hindsight as if Russia was assured of the team gold, but if things had gone down as you say, that might not have been the actual outcome.

More than that, Plushy galvanized the entire event and gave it more impact and validity. After all, this is the first time team skating has been featured. If more skaters had done a mediocre job, it would seem almost like a cheesefest and maybe unworthy of remaining an Olympic event.

And then there's what we know of Plushy's character. This is just not a guy who gives up, and he's especially not a guy who gives up his place in the spotlight. He has lived to skate for more than half his life. Now, as well as trying to defeat the rest of the world, he wanted the satisfaction of defeating Father Time and also his own physical problems. And he almost did it, too!

Hah the team event was a cheese fest. Only 3 teams could medal. And the Russians were gifted with Julia's SP win and Plu's LP win which made the results that much more predictable. The team ladies FS and free dance didn't even have to skate before the medals were determined.

I would hate for the team event to continue. And I say this coming from a country that got an easy medal out of it.