Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Best Olympics Men's Competitions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    412

    Best Olympics Men's Competitions

    Now we've seen one that was. . .um, not the best
    Which ones were really good, or at least your favorites?

    2002: Alexei vs. Evgeni vs. Tim Goebel. There were three great skaters who brought it when it counted. Alexei Yagudin played it safe, IIRC, and I remember Scott thought he gave it away, but in the end it was enough.

    1998. I'll always have fond memories of Ilia Kulik's shirt. And poor Todd. He was done in by Phillippe Candeloro as a musketeer, but his program was so much fun.

    2010. Some people were mad that the winner didn't do the quad, but at least we had two clean performances to compare. And Johnny did so well, I thought he should have gotten the bronze.

    1988. Both Brians were so good, it all came down to one tiny mistake by Brian Orser. Brian Boitano was perfect.

    Ahh, happy memories of men who land all their jumps and don't fall or double them!

  2. #2
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    49
    I liked 1994 (Urmanov gold, Stojko silver, Candelero Bronze) and 2002.
    2010 was wonderful, but bittersweet for me b/c I knew Daisuke could have won gold with a clean program without a quad, but he chose to do a quad anyway...I do not think Weir skated well enough for a medal. His presentation can't compare with Daisuke's.

  3. #3
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    42
    I don't remember Yagudin playing it safe....he was clearly the BEST that night, and his performance was perfect, and I still miss him...that was a great competition
    But you know I don't think we can compare the Olympics, really. The technical content is more and more demanding, and the points system is much more complex than the 6.0 one, so I think that's why it's really difficult to see clean programs nowadays.
    So every Olympics is totally different
    I'm quite happy with today's podium^____^


    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Now we've seen one that was. . .um, not the best
    Which ones were really good, or at least your favorites?

    2002: Alexei vs. Evgeni vs. Tim Goebel. There were three great skaters who brought it when it counted. Alexei Yagudin played it safe, IIRC, and I remember Scott thought he gave it away, but in the end it was enough.

    1998. I'll always have fond memories of Ilia Kulik's shirt. And poor Todd. He was done in by Phillippe Candeloro as a musketeer, but his program was so much fun.

    2010. Some people were mad that the winner didn't do the quad, but at least we had two clean performances to compare. And Johnny did so well, I thought he should have gotten the bronze.

    1988. Both Brians were so good, it all came down to one tiny mistake by Brian Orser. Brian Boitano was perfect.

    Ahh, happy memories of men who land all their jumps and don't fall or double them!

  4. #4
    Always Believed! Sk8n Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    520
    The battle of the Brians still the greatest. It came down to one tiny bobble. Both men had the total package, too.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I live near the New Jersey coast
    Posts
    185
    The Battle of the Brians was my favorite. So many skated well and beautiful programs. No quads to fall on. I hate the quad. Too many mistakes in this 2014 Olympics. I'd much rather see clean skates with artistry.

  6. #6
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    The battle of the Brians still the greatest. It came down to one tiny bobble. Both men had the total package, too.
    Absolutely! And don't forget the great bronze medal performance of Petrenko's! Wiley, Browning & Bowman all had good sp performances, too.

    1976 with Curry and Cranston was good too.

  7. #7
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    46
    single most memorable performance: BRIAN BOITANO's free skate!! One of the most inspired and inspiring skate.
    best competition? 2010 was pretty good as far as I remember and exciting until the end. The worst one was surely 2014

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    2002
    ------moderate gap-----
    1988 (only due to the 2 Brians really)
    1998
    2006 (lots of mistakes but technically sublime Plushenko and super artistry from Lambiel and Buttle)
    1994
    1980
    1972
    ------big gap-----

    1992, 2010, 2014, 1984 all sucked about equally in different ways
    Really, you're gonna put 2006 up there, but leave out 2010? I may not like that Evan won, but the last flight was amazing. 2006 was as big of a mess as this Olympics was for the men. Buttle was NOT landing that quad at all and still did it for the points, a la Hanyu this year. Really only Plushenko skated well in that final flight.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    433
    I would put 2006 slightly above 2010 personally as well. Artistically, Lambiel and Buttle showed some realness while I was mostly bored by the artistic programs of 2010 except for Takahashi. Lyscaek is just a charisma vacuum to me.

  10. #10
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    922
    Young whippersnappers.

    Try 1976 with John Curry and Toller Cranston. Now THAT was a competition that shaped the future of figure skating. Glorious.

    Also... Dorothy Hamill and Irina Rodnina... it was an Olympics to remember.

  11. #11
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,702
    Battle of the Brians in 1988, hands down!

    1992 - for Paul Wylie's silver medal

  12. #12
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,781
    2006 was underwhelming for me. Plushenko was technically good but had about as much artistry and heart as a rock during the performance. IIRC, Lambiel and Buttle made mistakes.

  13. #13
    Riveted vegarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    The battle of the Brians still the greatest. It came down to one tiny bobble. Both men had the total package, too.
    True, and it is sort of odd how that Orser has now coached two gold medalists back to back even though he didn't score one. That's almost some sort of karma at play.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterLily View Post
    I don't remember Yagudin playing it safe....he was clearly the BEST that night, and his performance was perfect, and I still miss him...that was a great competition
    But you know I don't think we can compare the Olympics, really. The technical content is more and more demanding, and the points system is much more complex than the 6.0 one, so I think that's why it's really difficult to see clean programs nowadays.
    So every Olympics is totally different
    I'm quite happy with today's podium^____^
    Plushenko stepped out of the triple loop of his 4-3-3 and popped his triple salchow into a double. You could also tell his program was a work in progress after the Habenera portion of the program. Yagudin could afford dialing back his technical content. I think Goebel was the one who was short changed for his technical score during the FS.

  15. #15
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Now we've seen one that was. . .um, not the best
    Which ones were really good, or at least your favorites?

    2002: Alexei vs. Evgeni vs. Tim Goebel. There were three great skaters who brought it when it counted. Alexei Yagudin played it safe, IIRC, and I remember Scott thought he gave it away, but in the end it was enough.

    1998. I'll always have fond memories of Ilia Kulik's shirt. And poor Todd. He was done in by Phillippe Candeloro as a musketeer, but his program was so much fun.

    2010. Some people were mad that the winner didn't do the quad, but at least we had two clean performances to compare. And Johnny did so well, I thought he should have gotten the bronze.

    1988. Both Brians were so good, it all came down to one tiny mistake by Brian Orser. Brian Boitano was perfect.

    Ahh, happy memories of men who land all their jumps and don't fall or double them!
    I enjoy Scott's commentary more than most people here but I thought his analysis at the end of the Alexei's skate was silly. It's true he left out his second triple axle but the dude had done two freaking quads and his skating, choreo etc was just above the rest of the field. Alexei has had that "it" passion thing that is so rare. Plushenko has it in his own way but it's not the same. Scott thought Yagudin actually might have lost the FS to Tim Goebel. Love Tim but ... not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •