Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps retiring for MK?

Rinkside

Question Perhaps retiring for MK?

Do you think it might be time to reitire for MK? Why not retire while on top? She has won everything that is possible to win...maybe not the gold medal, but, perhaps, this might be the signal to pass the torch to someone else and ride off into glory on top?

Rinkside
    I don't think she shoud. The only person who should deside for her to retire is, Michelle and no one else. As long as she has the will power to keep pushing herself and and the love for the sport she should continue on the road that she chooses for herself. I for one hope that she continues on to the road to the Gold in 2006.

Custom Title

Lost of questions

Ok well I guess Elena, Irina, Elena L, Julia S, Arakawa and a few others should all retire now that they've got their titles and are over the age of 23. I think perhaps they could take whatever they are going through as signs that it's time to go pro. Why only Michelle? Michelle came in 2nd in the long and would have in the short if it weren't for all that went on with the timing of her short. She nearly vaulted in 1st in the long if she had completed that last lutz over a 3/3 and 3/3/2 combo. Why not stay. I think she has much more to give. I don't know but should Sasha give up after competing and faltering so many times.

I say they all should stay until they can't stand this sport no more even if it's not on top. From the sounds of it Michelle was totally happy and it only proves that she loves to compete win or lose.

Rinkside
    MK shouldn't retire. She had a bad week and even then she still medaled at Worlds. She would have been higher but because of technicalities she was left lower. Plus also the judges didn't take all the necessary cheated jump deductions from the Japanese ladies. If judges had done that then she would have been higher, maybe not beating Sasha but deffinatly higher.

Tripping on the Podium
    Not unless she wants to. Her life, her body, her choice.

I'm just going to enjoy watching her skate for as long as she chooses to do it.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by NwSwEeTy
    MK shouldn't retire. She had a bad week and even then she still medaled at Worlds. She would have been higher but because of technicalities she was left lower. Plus also the judges didn't take all the necessary cheated jump deductions from the Japanese ladies. If judges had done that then she would have been higher, maybe not beating Sasha but deffinatly higher.
    Well Michelle did beat Sasha in the long program and to me that says a lot since Sasha had 6 triples and Michelle had 5.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    I think Michelle should stay and compete if that is what she wants to do. I think changing coaching to Artunian shows she's leaning toward being around for the 2006 Olympics. Why not? Uninjured, she can still be a contender, even without the 3/3.

I do think Michelle will be under a great deal of pressure to do the Grand Prix next season. She should because it will give her a better grasp on what it will take to win under COP. Personally, I think her spins are looking better. And if she can get 3/3's back, who but Sasha could beat her?

Arakawa's win was well deserved. She seems to have put together 3 excellent skates and did her 3/3 combos. Miki Ando will probably be pushing those quads (actually, with the depth of ladies in Japan, she is being pushed herself. All those 3ax. jumpers are consistantly throwing off difficult jumps.). I'm looking forward to seeing the LP tonight.

If Michelle wants to stick around, she'll have to put more tech and more competitions together. If anyone can do that, Michelle can. Hope she's enjoyed her "vacation," 'cuz the competitors are nipping at her heels. Congrats on your medals, Michelle. Go for the Gold as long as you want to!

Custom Title
    Excuse me, I don't want to refight old battles, but is figure skating a sport or not? If it is, then why would anyone be asking if the current world bronze medalist needs to retire 2 years before the Olympics? I can't imagine this happening in any other sport. Of course, this isn't on par with those who think she should retire to give others a chance.

Michelle gave 2 very lovely performances this week. She won the bronze medal and placed 2nd in the lp. She is still a valid competitor and has a real chance at the OGM.

My question is- why in the world should she retire?

Custom Title
    Considering all this retirement talk was somewhat started by Richard Callaghan (sp?), I think that the only skater who needs to pack it up is Jenny Kirk (haviing finished 18th) and she has an excuse for everything. Seriously, it's her costume, she feels sick blah, blah. I think the girl needs to eat b/c she looks really anorexic (esp compared to how healthy she looked when coached by Evy and Mary Scotvold).

I think MK skated great in her LP, but seriously, even if she had the last 3-ltz, she should not have beaten Arikawa. Arikawa was amazing and has the presentation to back up the technical skills. I loved her Ina Bauer.

Why retire? She's 23, Shizuka is 22. I really got tired of the teeny bopper years, those where most top tier skaters had little maturity to their skating. That was a major snoozathon for me. As far as Michelle goes, she made incredible strides between 2 years ago and last year and from what I see, none at all this past year. I'm not sure why, but I am sure she noticed how many talented skaters are out there at this time.

Custom Title
    I think Michelle should retire when she feels the time is right. If that be after the 2006 Olympics or even after the 2010 Olympics, then so be it. It’s her life. However, I will be honest and say that I don’t find her (or many of the other skaters who have been around for a while – Irina, Victoria, etc.,) as exciting as they were 4, 5 years ago. And I am ready for a changing of the guard. Though I am disappointed that Sasha did not win the gold, I was happy to see others (Arakawa, Miko etc.,) starting to shine despite the veterans being around. It’s refreshing and for me, it makes figure skating exciting to watch again.

........Not a chance........ 42

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    To all the posters who said MK should not retire now
    DITTO!!!!

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by PatC
    Not unless she wants to. Her life, her body, her choice.

I'm just going to enjoy watching her skate for as long as she chooses to do it.
    Right on, PatC. Personally I think Michelle is just getting started on yet another wonderful reinvention of yourself. If she wants to stay, I think she'll blow the roof off a lot of arenas even more than we've seen in the past. Michelle is one determined, gifted, and amazing athlete. I hope she stays because I'd love to watch her skate as an eligible at least through the next Olympics and even beyond, as long as she's healthy.

I think of Katerina Witt coming back to skate in the '94 Olympics. She knew she would not be a medal contender, but she wanted to skate again as an Olympian. (Witt also wanted to skate as a free woman.) I'm not talking about Michelle in '06 because I think she will be not only a medal contender but a contender for the gold. I'm talking about beyond '06. Michelle doesn't have to win to thrill figure skating fans. Of course her fans and even others hope she wins, but even if she doesn't, she's still a phenomenon, and a gorgeous one at that.

If she's healthy, happy, and wants to be there, I'd be thrilled to see Michelle competing at 30.
    Rgirl

Rinkside

Agreed to a point

Originally posted by Enero
    I think Michelle should retire when she feels the time is right. If that be after the 2006 Olympics or even after the 2010 Olympics, then so be it. It’s her life. However, I will be honest and say that I don’t find her (or many of the other skaters who have been around for a while – Irina, Victoria, etc.,) as exciting as they were 4, 5 years ago. And I am ready for a changing of the guard. Though I am disappointed that Sasha did not win the gold, I was happy to see others (Arakawa, Miko etc.,) starting to shine despite the veterans being around. It’s refreshing and for me, it makes figure skating exciting to watch again.
    I agree that I'm tired of seeing the same routines over and over. Time for changing of the guard. Sorry to the MK fans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast