Ladies Short - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
PLEASE NOTE: All of these worlds reports are copyright Golden Skate and are not to be copied & pasted to other internet message boards, web-sites or email lists. You are very welcome to link to the forums from other web-sites. Registration is required, but it’s free.

Group # 1 - Sorry I was a bit late getting to the arena -- had some 'issues' in the press room to deal with

Ji Eun Choi KOR Start # 1
Ordinals Currently S Overall
Arrived just after she skated

Jenna McCorkell GBR Start # 2
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently S 1 Overall 1
Was setting up during her skate but did see that she fell out of the 3z – not sure about rest of program

Julia Lautowa AUT Start # 3
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Currently S 2 Overall 2
Was setting up during her skate but she also had problems on the 3z

Sara Falotico BEL Start # 4
Ordinals 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 Currently S 3 Overall 2
Ditto – problems on 3z

Michelle Cantu MEX Start # 5
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 Currently S 3 Overall 3
42nd street (musical) red on top black &white vertical stripes around waist black skirt
3z 2t toe was toe axel fell out of toe / 3f couldn’t see feet on landing but it looked like she had to hop out of it / flycam is nice / spirals have nice (different) pos and carry good speed / 2a / layback is good – nice back & speed – centered / O ftwrk goes fantastic with music (bye bye baby ) and crowd is clapping / combo spin ending in fast scratch / very good response from the crowd /

Mojca Kopac SLO Start # 6
Ordinals 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 56 Currently S 4 Overall 4
Blues for clock by Eddy Louis black halter with silver belot & ‘chocker’
Some nice chor & movement to match music / 2-1/2 lutz landed forward on 2 feet / layback is centered & fast pos could be better on both leg & back / 1a / flysit is fast with good pos / spirals are ok / good speed & ftwrk into 3t / O ftwrk is ok – flows with music / combo spin has nice variety of pos -

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 2

Zuzana Babiakova SVK Start # 7
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 3 3 4 4 Currently S 2 Overall 1
Evita (musical) Webber bright sparkly blue
2a / 3z fell out a bit 2t / layback is centered with good speed but pos isn’t great / turns into 3f came out forward after 2 revs / strt ftwrk is ok / flycam is very nice / spirals have nice extension / combo spin /

Daria Timoshenko AZE Start # 8
Ordinals 3 5 6 7 7 7 7 8 8 Currently S 7 Overall 7
Motive from Mythos shades of medium blue with asymetrical illusion around waist
Music starts out with soft deliberate piano and she has some nice chor / undertone added as music build ftwrk into 3f cam out sideways falling hard with both hands down on ice – very slow to get moving again / 3z landed forward on both feet with hands down - I could have the lutz & flip backwards – they both looked the same to me / strt steps are ok / 2a – something went wrong based on crowd, but didn’t see it – not enough time for fall – possibly singled / flycam is very nice and encouraging applause from crowd / spirals are quite nice / combo spin includes beillmanns on both feet that are probably the best I’ve ever seen – painless looking, keeps up very good speed in spin and centered / layback spin is also very good with strt leg and almost flat back.

Dan Fang CHN Start # 9
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 Currently S 1 Overall 1
Romeo & Juliet – Rota pale turqoise
2a is nice / 3z on lean going up fell on stomach got up and did 2t / 3f / combo spin is very nice with foot in front that doesn’t look laboured or painful / layback is very good / O ftwrk to change in music to faster & ‘bouncier’ / flycam is very good with hands behind back pos / inside out spiral that is held and covers loads of ice on both edges / She has very good edges & flow – her skating seems effortless /

Miriam Manzano AUS Start # 10
Enchanted Nymph by Levitski dark pink/dusty rose
Her opening moves are very balletic / 3z2t off beautiful true outside edge - possibly a very slight 2ft on lutz / ftwrk right into 3f / flycam has good fly centered good speed & nice pos changes to layover / spirals are only soso but carry good speed / 2a right on crescendo of music / combo spin is centered ending in Y / O ftwrk flows well with music but might be a bit simple / layback spin is centered & fast – pos could be better /

Annette Dytrt GER Start # 11
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 4 Currenlty S 2 Overall 1
Danse Macabre black with lots of silver sequins
As she is introduced the crowd goes crazy – lots of air horns, flags & cheering / stacatto violin to start and then into familiar melody / 3z fell / 3t from ftwrk / flycam has nice pos, but quite slow / spirals carry very good speed with no plain stroking or crossovers between them / 2a / layback is very fast starting with strt leg going to catch foot behind head / O ftwrk is to building fast music and it matches very well / combo spin is good /

Valentina Marchei ITA Start # 12
Ordinals 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 5 6 Currently S 3 Overall 3
Flamenco red strapless with choker & elbow gloves
She has the right attitude ! / 3z fell / combo spin cam sideways sit catchfoot / music softens for strt ftwrk huge pause 3f / layback has good back to foot to head / spirals are ok / pause at far end of rink for change in music and the crowd is clapping as she comes around for 2a / strt ftwrk / flycam is fast & centered with good pos – maybe could use a bit more stretch /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 3

Fumie Suguri JPN Start # 13
Paint It Black – Rolling Stones black dress & leggings
Some movement in one place gets her started and around for the 3z3t cheat sheet says double but I think triple/ 3f far end of rink could have been 2f / flycam is lovely with great stretch & change to inside edge / some dancing going into layback is fast & centered with great back going from classic to strt leg / spirals carry good speed and have ok pos / 2a / some dancing / O ftwrk is very lyrical and matches music – turns both ways / combo spin ending in very fast scratch / Good skate and very good response from the crowd – Daisuke & Yamato sitting just up behind me are clapping enthusiatically but no cheering & yells like we heard last night from Shizuka for the men.

Viktoria Volchkova RUS Start # 14
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 4 Currently S 2 Overall 2
Heartbreak Hotel black with lots of silver on top & silver elbow gloves
Some moves to get is started and around for the 3z which is huge 2t / 3f bit unsteady on landing but pulled it out clean / layback is ok – centered but pos could be better / spirals are ok / 2a again a bit unsteady on lading / flycam is slow but pos are good / some dancing & playing to judges and into O ftwrk which suits mood very well – a little on slow side / combo spin – lost it a tiny bit on catch foot pos but got it back for the back ½. Very good but I think Fumie should be in 1st ahead of her

Jennifer Kirk USA Start # 15
Ordinals 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 5 Currently S 3 Overall 3
Chicago Silver ‘showgirl’ style dress
Some playing with music to set the mood / 3t3t / big smile on her face and into the spirals to All that jazz / 3z fell / layback is very good / 2a / flycam doesn’t have much fly but spin is excellent / she’s moving right with the music / S ftwrk is just perfect for the music and has decent difficulty / and she’s playing again / combo spin to end is excellent / Too bad about the lutz. . . replay showed it was about 1/3 short rotation. It’s a great program and she seems to be having so much fun doing it.

Rosaleen

Medalist
This is really late -- group 4 is just finished now, but I couldn't get connected

Sarah Meier SUI Start # 16
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 Currently S 3 Overall 4
Pure Mood / No women, no cry Very dark turqoise with black semi sheer on top
3z2t is nice / ftwrk 3f / sicombo spin is perfectly centered with good speed & pos / spirals are ok / 2a / flycam is good – free leg could be stretched better / strt ftwrk is ok – not a lot to it / layback has very good back – leg is soso / She is just thrilled and there’s a bunch of swiss flags out lots of cheers & whistles from crowd /

Idora Hegel CRO Start # 17
Ordinals 4 5 5 56 6 6 7 8 Currently S 6 Overall 5
Gypsy Dance Black with bare midriff with gold trim
3z 3turn out stayed on one foot 2t / ftwrk (not much) 3l / combo spin is very fast and centered with ok pos / music gets more melodic now / spirals are ok ending in slide spiral / 2a / layback is fast with nice changes of leg – back could be much better / music changes and gets very fast and O ftwrk matches it well – turns both ways / flycam spin is good /

Anne Sophie Calvez FRA Start # 18
Ordinals 3 4 4 4 4 5 6 6 10 Currently S 5 Overall 5
Didier Squiban Medley silver grey with light pink underskirt bell sleeves
The French skaters have been calling out to her while we were waiting for Idora’s marks and the air horns go as she is introduced / music starts out with soft piano / 3t3t is planned – lots of cheers but don’t know if both were triples – will have to check replay – yes, it was a 3t3t / flysit is nice with low fast spin / ftwrk 3f / spiral seq has some nice spread eagles – gets a little slow / 2a / layback needs work on both back & leg – fast & centered though / O ftwrk didn’t seem to have much to it / combo spin has nice catch foot and a couple of other nice pos - Both the crowd & her are over the moon

brenlynn

On the Ice
irina was serisouly held up IMO. JRo was held down, 10th place ordinals? ridiculous. :sheesh: i mean she wasn't awesome, but she deserved higher then what she got.

Kateri

On the Ice
I have to agree that Irina was propped - I like her a lot, but she was nowhere near that good....shame.

Kudos to Fumie though! Back with a vengeance.

k .

brenlynn

On the Ice
i missed fumie, but glad to see her back up there! was worried about her - good for her though :love:

i love irina too, but :sheesh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ditto on Irina...

Don't get me wrong - I really admire Irina's courage for struggling back from her illness and doing the best she can. But...from the way things have sounded so far on Eurosport she probably shouldn't have been placed in front of several people. Can't wait to hear the feedback from our Live Spies.

On a more positive note, I'm really glad Fumie had such a good skate and will move up one warm up group. I wonder if there will be any movement between groups in the final flight.

DG

Kateri

On the Ice
I definitely think Vika should have been way above Irina....

What was Irina's speed like today - anyone, Rosaleen?
She is usually fast, but if she's ill? Especially as Vika is slow.

k

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
k...

The impression I got from the Eurosport commentators overall was that she really seemed to labor to get through it. Based on that, I can't imagine she was skating with her usual speed. Can't wait to hear more though.

DG

Rosaleen

Medalist
I tried to post after each 2 skaters, but couldn't get connected to internet at all - wireless is really intermittant today

Group # 4

Joannie Rochette CAN Start # 19
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 5 Currently S 2 Overall 1
Metamorphoses and other plays Red halter
Around the rink once and 3z2t is clean / some nice movement to moddy music and into flycam with good lfy and fast into inside edge / ftwrk 3f / Cynthia & Annie are just up behind me and you could hear Cyn when Joannie was introduced and on each landed jump / strt ftwrk is a bit slow but very detailed & difficult / 2a / spirals are nice / combo spin is centered and all pos good – had a bit of trouble getting foot up to head / Good for her – great program

Susanna Pöykiö FIN Start # 20
Ordinals 3 4 4 5 6 6 6 7 8 Currently S 5 Overall 4
Henry VIII Red with yellow underskirt
2a / 3z2t / she’s music an using the music well / spirals are all held very well / layback with strt leg and arms outstretched is very pretty / ftwrk pause 2f – big awwww from skaters up behind me / flycam is a bit slow but semi-layover pos is very nice / strt ftwrk goes both ways and is quite detailed / combo spin is centered with good pos & speed until the Y which was a bit wobbly.

Elena Liashenko UKR Start # 21
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 3 4 5 7 8 Currently S 3 Overall 2
Otonal pale blue with bit of pink in skirt silver seqins on top
3z2t high & clean / ftwrk pause 3f – couldn’t see feet – too close to near boards but from coach’s reaction think it was 2footed / flycam is nice & stretched / music has become very lyrical and she’s doing the spiral seq with ok spirals / 2a / layback with arms behind back & strt leg is very fast & centered – back pos could be better / strt ftwrk goes very well with music & fairly difficult – bit on slow side though / combo spin to end is nice /

Carolina Kostner ITA Start # 22
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Currently S 1 Overall 1
A Song from a Secret Garden dark turqoise with X straps on back
She’s really flying 3f3t couldn’t see feet on toe but by her body I’d think it was clean / travel 3’s into 3l / flycam is very nice with hands behind back & good stretch & speed / O ftwrk moves well – think it might be a bit simple / spirals start with very nice inside out / 2a / combo spin travelled in a fairly small circle and got very slow on catchfoot that started the back half / layback is lovely with strt leg and hands behind back / The look on her face says that she can’t believe she did it !! / Big cheers from the crowd / Even after she’s taken her bows I don’t think she believes it /

Jennifer Robinson CAN Start # 23
Ordinals 5 5 5 6 6 9 10 10 10 Currently S 7 Overall 7
Tangosain, Welcome to Cuba Purple with semi-sheer black
Piano and she’s around for the 3z2t which is clean! / ftwrk 3f maybe a bit of cheat but not that bad – on replay it’s a ¼ cheated / spirals have pretty good extension and move ok (for Jen) / death drop is good with low fast spin / diag ftwrk goes with the change to cuban music / 2a / layback is fast & centered with change from classic pos to strt leg / combo spin is also fast *& centered on front cam on back is a bit slow / some dancing into her final pos / That was about as good as she could skate that!!! – good for her.

Irina Slutskaya RUS Start # 24
Ordinals 2 3 3 4 5 5 7 7 8 Currently S 3 Overall 2
Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso Purple with silver V front & back shading to very long light yellow skirt (dance length – mid calf) 3z2t couldn’t see feet – will have to check, but 2t was landed with no flow out / fly cam is excellent / ftwrk pause bailed on flip – landed forward after 1 rev / 2a is nice / diag ftwrk has lots of 1-foot turns in a row and matches music very well / layback has foot to head with good speed / spirals are ok / cmobo spin is fast with beillmann on both feet /

brenlynn

On the Ice
Kateri said:

What was Irina's speed like today - anyone, Rosaleen?
She is usually fast, but if she's ill? Especially as Vika is slow.

k

irina undoubtly looked quite slow out there and looked like she was really having to work at everything she was doing. granted i don't have the best picture watching it on my computer, but it's good enough!

Rosaleen

Medalist
I'd say that Irina was definitely propped. She wasn't near as fast as normal. I would have had her in 4th or 5th or maybe even lower -- I'd have to go back and read my comments about the other skaters before I could be sure. BUT with Irina currently in 2nd which will equal 8th after the rest skate (if she doesn't move up) then Elena Sok only has to be in 5th and maintain that for the free in order for Russian to hit the magic 13 for 3 for next year.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I'm beginning to have issues with the judging this week. And I think when I see this televised tonight, it going to add to my doubt.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 5

Miki Ando JPN Start # 25
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 6 Currently S 1 Overall 1
The Pianist – chopin navy blue velvet with low scoop back
3z3l / 3f / layback with almost flat back strt leg with arm pos change / 2a / now into the O ftwrk which is right with music & moves really well / flycam has very good fly centered good pos & fast / spirals are better than average – not great but nothing wrong either / combo spin is great centered fast & good pos ending in blur scratch / Way to go, girl I didn’t have time to write it but she was skating to her music beautifully /

Michelle Kwan USA Start # 26
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 Currently S 2 Overall 2
The Feeling Begins / light pink or ivory
2a / 3z2t flutz was definite / flycam has lovely pos centered & good speed / 3f / layback is good & centered with strt leg / coming around to build up speed for the spirals and her trademark inside out is great / strt ftwrk is difficult with good speed / combo spin is well done as well / very good skate k—she was interpreting the music all the way through /

brenlynn

On the Ice
i don't know about the placement here... i think michelle was overall better, interesting :confused:

Rosaleen

Medalist
Shizuka Arakawa JPN Start # 27
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 Currently S 1 Overall 1
Swan Lake – disco version - black & white
3z3t lutz looked to me like leaning but it was clean toe was just barely a ¼ short / 3f / flycam is a bit slower than Michelle & Miki but lovely pos / spirals maintain good speed have pretty good pos / 2a / Daisuke & Yamato are up behind me cheering at every move / layback has strt leg and lovely arm pos changes – centered / strt ftwrk flows nicely with music – being picky it could be a tiny bit slow / combo spin to donut to scratch is very good & centered / and both fists into the air —she is happy and so she should be – biggest smile I’ve ever seen from her !! Should be in first imo – just that bit more mature than Miki would make the differen ce to me

Rosaleen

Medalist
brenlynn said:
i don't know about the placement here... i think michelle was overall better, interesting :confused:

I think in the tech program the difference between a 3z2t and a 3z3l is enough to put Miki ahead of Michelle -- Miki's spins are also better than Michelle's the only place Michelle was definitely better was the spirals and possibly the footwork

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Michelle Interview...

On Eurosport...

Michelle was gracious and diplomatic as always. I did sense some frustration in her voice. No doubt very dissapointed with her placement after what sounds like a great skate for her.

DG