Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Ladies Short - Notes & Results

TriGirl Rinkside
    DG, I totally understand what you are saying, and I AGREE. However, when rules aren't enforced, why take 'em seriously?

Phil Hersh article (so take that for what it's worth!) -

"Event referee Jan Hoffmann of Germany told the Tribune he pointed out the elapsed time to the panel. Exceeding 2:40 calls for a .1 deduction in both technical merit and presentation scores, but the rule rarely is invoked at elite level."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ts/8287695.htm

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    I watched the Ladies SP on CBC and I would have placed Michelle's beautiful and very well skated program in 2nd. Sasha a well deserved 1st, Arakawa 3rd, then Ando (Sebesteyn also had a great skate and more choreography than Ando). Michelle wasn't on fire like Sasha was, but she was poised, passionate, seamless, etc. She was all things Kwan.

Michelle and her fans should be proud of her skate regardless of how the judges scored it. (I am so proud of myself for taking this calmly!!)

eliza88

One's person's overview of the Ladies SP

Sasha commanded the ice that afternoon. Her skate was as perfect as it could get.. Shiyuka<, while good, was not up to the brilliance that she showed in the Qaulife. Miki Ando, shows so much promise it is scarz. I thought she would just be another Onda but no!. She is most graceful and there is a budding style.

La Kwan skater very well, although not with her usual fire. She also ended way after the music stopped . Was she tryng to say
    something? Hope she finallz gets the Technical message.

Irina needs some serious thinking if she wants to make a comeback. The skate is without anz of her passion and it borders on being lacksadaisical She#ll need a lot of work before Moscow.

Elena S. did not skate the SP with the enthusiasm she had in the Qualie. She put herself out of it.

Sebaszen was aain marvelous and imo, ahead of La Kwan.

The previous group showed the Canadian gals holding their. Both Rochette and Robinson did fine work. Biggest surprise for me, was Pozkio. I had never seen her before but her Qualif and SP showed star quality. Should have been ahead of Irina Carolina Kostner finally, for me anyway, got me believing her. She was quite exceptional and should have been in the top group.

Fumie, Vikka and Jenny were not at their best. Meier, Hegel and Cálvey all did a fine job. Many other skaters previously did fine work.

It was not boring sitting through all this.

Who will take the Gold? My bet is Sasha unless she melts.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 03-27-2004 at 02:26 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    One's person's overview of the Ladies SP

Biggest surprise for me, was Pozkio. I had never seen her before but her Qualif and SP showed star quality. Should have been ahead of Irina Carolina Kostner finally, for me anyway, got me believing her. She was quite exceptional and should have been in the top group.
    Joe
    I could not agree more with you! Susanna Poykio did not get in SP what she deserved!!! She should have been at least among top ten.

Marjaana

Custom Title
    Michelle and her fans should be proud of her skate regardless of how the judges scored it. (I am so proud of myself for taking this calmly!!)
    Yes. I am.
    I was listening EuroSport at the competetion. They were suprised at the time Arakawa placed ahead of Kwan, Make no mistake I love Arakawa's skating. And I heard MK and RA talked to each other when she stepped off the ice, both saying they were happy with what she just done. Then saw the marks and late the placement I was mad then. Now knowing Kwan placed lower as 4th place because of the time deduction. I feel so much better now.

As far as she skated best and happy, I'm happy for her. Girl just let go, skate best you can.

Jaana - Poykio was robbed in the Qaualy even before the SP. She should have been in top 6.

mzheng - I think MK is satified with her skate. It ws good but not her best. But the message is clear - Technical must be raised.

Joe

TriGirl Rinkside
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    mzheng - I think MK is satified with her skate. It ws good but not her best. But the message is clear - Technical must be raised.
    Joe, help me here. I agree that her tech needs to be raised. The 3/3 is becoming like the men's quad, BUT Sasha's tech is no better (maybe just slightly due to better spins, but she's not going to do a loop in the LP). How is something that's good for Cohen not sufficient for Kwan?

tharrtell - still trying to 'get it'

Custom Title
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    Joe, help me here. I agree that her tech needs to be raised. The 3/3 is becoming like the men's quad, BUT Sasha's tech is no better (maybe just slightly due to better spins, but she's not going to do a loop in the LP). How is something that's good for Cohen not sufficient for Kwan?

tharrtell - still trying to 'get it'
    Joe and Tharrtell, don't know what message is sent. But definitely a message. I read some where the Ref said he told Judge panel the time violation, but actually in history the deduction never applied at elite level. So there is definitely the msg.

MICHELLE GO FOR IT, SKATE YOUR HEART OUT!!!!!

I just finished watching the Ladies' short program, and after watching it twice, I would have placed them:

1. Sasha
    2. Michelle
    3. Arakawa
    4. Sebestyen
    5. Ando

Triple jumps aside, non of the other ladies come to close to the overall package that Sasha and Michelle have......Arakawa is wonderful, but she doesn't have the grace and extension that Fumie has........maybe in time........of course, I haven't seen the long program yet.......... 42

Tripping on the Podium
    Thank goodness for this forum. None of my friends understand. It is great to have a place to vent, and to read different views.

ITA with posters who say, if we're going to enforce deductions (ie time deduction), why not ALL of them? Why no deductions for underrotated jumps and spins?

For the short I'd have Sasha 1st even with the flutz, for pure joy, energy, great line, spins, etc. I am not her fan and it's hard for me to say this when Michele was clean, but I think it's fair. But to be REALLY fair, let's deduct say .2 or .3 for the flutz, as has been done to MK and SH at Worlds when it was convenient.

MK is my all time fave, but in an effor to be fair, I'll put her second in the short, even with the time dedection. (ITA agreement with those who say - hmmm - why is this being done now, when it has always been ignored. I think it stinks big time.)

SA should have been 3rd. I love the height of her jumps, and she has come a long way with presentation, but has a LONG way to go, esp. in the short. Also where were the decutions for her technical flaws?

I was so mad after that program, my husband started saying maybe I shouldn't watch skating anymore if it upset me so much. Still trying to calm down.

Medalist

Re: I'm REALLY dying here...

Originally posted by Doggygirl
    My comments are NOT about Michelle nor my completely subjective opinons about her skating.

HOW IS A TIME LIMIT SUBJECTIVE?????? To me, that's GOT to be one of the most OBJECTIVE rules I've ever heard of in figure skating. Maximum time on SP 2:40. We are all really in trouble here if we, as fans of the sport, are willing to criticize that sytem for NOT implementing mandatory deductions on things that ARE somewhat subjective - i.e. who's spirals are better than who's, or HOW successfully or over-rotated or under-rotated a jump is or isn't landed.

I know I must have people all over the world puking by now, but holy cow!! If we can't agree it's appropriate to abide by a very simple and straight forward rule about a specific time limit on a program, then how in the world will "fair judging" in this sport ever have a prayer of being better defined?

DG

Don't go getting your knickers in a bunch, that objective time rule never mattered for forty years. It would be a lie if the IFSU said no skater's program ever went over the time limit in forty years. If the rule was straight forward and simple, then what are we talking about? The rule would be like someone double footing a landing, common and trite. People were shocked. Judges were baffled. MK was heated. The simple human right to question the judging will go away w/ the "unknown" juding structure too. Maybe I am just beating a dead horse, but I think this timing of programs issue will over shadow the real problems with figure skating. Stick a fork in me, I am done w/ this discussion.

I still can't believe how beautiful Michelle looked in that cream-colored dress. All other skaters need to take a .5 relative costume deduction.

Mathman

Custom Title

cianni

Oh Mathman I thought you didnt notice. Was that georgous. She glowed.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11