Ladies Short - Notes & Results | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Notes & Results

gellio

Rinkside
Wow, for MK to win gold, here is how the top 4 have to finish in the freekskate:

1. Kwan
2. Ando
3. Arakawa
4. Cohen

Wow, that's shocking that Michelle finds herself in this position even though she apparently skated well in the short.

Kateri

On the Ice
I'm really confused by this judging....who gave MK 5.1 for tech??

And Arakawa was worse than Ando in tech, and worse than Kwan and Sebestyen in presentation...I'd have had her beneath Kwan, at least - on the basis that Sasha was ahead of her without a 3-3, so why not Kwan?

Just how important is pres. here???:confused:

If you need a 3-3, why is Sasha ahead?
If you don't, why isn't Kwan higher?
*doesn't get it*

I dunno.....at least Fumie pulled up to 8th...tough break for Sokolova - I hope her back is ok; nasty fall, and she was holding it, in pain, as she got up.

kat....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jeesh, what is it with this Worlds and 6.0's. The judges sure seem to want to get as many in as possible!

And Kwan's tech mark -- 5.1 to 5.8??? What's up with that?! Seems that most judges placed Sizuka over Michelle (which seems OK to me based on their previous competitions which I have seen), but Onda/Michelle thing is really confusing. A shame, too, since now Michelle would need to pull a Sarah to win this.

Last edited:

brenlynn

On the Ice
Not Anybodys Mother said:
not having been there, who knows. But I'm surprised that MK was placed below the 2 japanese girls who had serious 3-3 combos, but then sasha was placed ahead of them w/just a 3-2 combo.

What short did MK do? last years?

Maybe she'll go for broke in the freeskate and try a 3sal-3toe? I would at this point if I were her.

i was surprised michelle was placed behind the japanese ladies, but even more surprising was shizza ahead of miki :confused: miki, IMO seemed to have been techinque - shizza did not impress me at all.

michelle did skate her short from last year, and she skated it pretty well - but, i guess i've seen her skate it better.

sasha's quality of skating - the overall package was much better then the japanese ladies, i think she definetly deserved to be ahead of the both of them.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
My guess is that even with 3/3s from MA and SA, Sasha will win if she does a clean 6 3 LP. I would also venture to guess that on the other hand, even if Michelle skates clean she will not beat a 3/3 LP from MA and SA. For Michelle most likely no gold, maybe no medal. Now if Michelle throws in a 3/3 in the LP she has a chance. I'm not expecting this, however.

Jill

On the Ice
It could happen. This is when competition is the most fun. I much prefer CoP. From what I hear, the judging sucks out loud.

Anyway, only an hour away from dance, kids!

gellio

Rinkside
Kateri said:
I'm really confused by this judging....who gave MK 5.1 for tech??

And Arakawa was worse than Ando in tech, and worse than Kwan and Sebestyen in presentation...I'd have had her beneath Kwan, at least - on the basis that Sasha was ahead of her without a 3-3, so why not Kwan?

Just how important is pres. here???:confused:

If you need a 3-3, why is Sasha ahead?
If you don't, why isn't Kwan higher?
*doesn't get it*

I dunno.....at least Fumie pulled up to 8th...tough break for Sokolova - I hope her back is ok; nasty fall, and she was holding it, in pain, as she got up.

kat....

Sasha's overall skating is better than Arakawa and Ando. Without seeing the programs, it's hard to know why Kwan is 4th, but Arakawa is a wonderful skater and I can see her beating Kwan, regardless of how Kwan skates. You don't need a 3-3 to win this competition, but Ando wouldn't be in 3rd without it. It does add something to the program if it is done as beautiful as she does it.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
The judging doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Sasha had the same jump content as Michelle, yet is 3 places higher than her. If the judges wanted to penalize Michelle for doing the triple/double instead of a triple/triple, then fine. But in that case, they should penalize Sasha as well. Maybe Michelle's placement is correct, but in that case, Sasha should be marked similarly and be in third, not first.

From what I've read and seen so far, I think a lot of the judging this year at Worlds has been questionable. All I can say is I'm glad this will probably be the last year for the old system.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's still possible for MK to win gold, but it is very unlikely.

Sasha would have to be 4th or lower in the LP, which can happen, but is very unlikely...but she will also need Shizuka to be 3rd or lower...so she needs two things to happen in order for MK to win...and there is still the question of judges and how they will score MK.

It's possible for MK to win gold, but having these 2 things happen tomorrow seems unlikely...

I just hope Kwan will kick booty tomorrow and show why she's the Kween!

brenlynn

On the Ice
i think kwan is in 4th because her programs lack serious cheorography... to me, she has very few in betweens. if the top 4 ladies skate cleanly in the long, i can see kwan finishing off the podium, tosca leaves a lot to be desired.

N@d&A

Rinkside
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK THIS IS THE BIG OPPORTUNITY FOR SASHA EVEN NOW I´M VERY NERVOUS BUT I TRUST IT WILL BE A MAGNIFICENT PERFORMANCE
:D :D :D :D :D :D

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Her short program has a lot of inbetweens, it's her LP that's been getting that criticism.

And if you think Shizuka's dominatrix Swan Lake has a lot of in-betweens, then you've never seen it.

Jill

On the Ice
Glad you got it figured out, VietGirl! That always confuses the heck out of me!

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

I never thought I would live to see the day the European fans screaming at the judging and Michelle was robbed. Irina was held up big time and Arakawa and Ando should have been below Michelle. Man is this in your face judging. Sasha deserved her placement but it seems the rest didnt. I feel trouble brewing. Speedy will have some explaining to do. I do feel sorry for Michelle though. I havent been to MKF so this not her fans its Euporean fans and Im shocked they are so fair on this one. I guess cheating judges get all in time. Now What.

Kateri

On the Ice
gellio said:
Sasha's overall skating is better than Arakawa and Ando.

Oh I agree - but so is Kwans!
And Arakawa, at least, had problems with tech, even if she landed the 3-3.

I agree Sasha's pres outweighs her lack of 3-3, and agree she should be ahead of Ando & Arakawa.

But I don't see why *Kwan's* presentation does not outweigh her lack of a 3-3, to beat Ando & Arakawa.

I'm not arguing about Sasha beating Kwan here, just the 2-4 positions.

k

brenlynn

On the Ice
VIETgrlTerifa said:

And if you think Shizuka's dominatrix Swan Lake has a lot of in-betweens, then you've never seen it.

i never said shizza's did - actually when i was watching it today, i disliked it very much. just another nikaloi program :sheesh: i definetly think MK should be ahead of shizza, no question... so should miki.

i would have called it...
1. sasha
2. miki
3. kwan
4. shizza

Cleo

On the Ice
Rosaleen, can you comment on why Sasha is first with a 3/2, MK is fourth with a 3/2, while the two Japanese ladies both did 3/3's and are 2nd and 3rd? Were there quality issues with other elements?

Thanks for the great reports!

-Cleo

Kateri

On the Ice
Re: cianni

cianni said:
I never thought I would live to see the day the European fans screaming at the judging and Michelle was robbed. Irina was held up big time and Arakawa and Ando should have been below Michelle. Man is this in your face judging. Sasha deserved her placement but it seems the rest didnt. I feel trouble brewing. Speedy will have some explaining to do. I do feel sorry for Michelle though. I havent been to MKF so this not her fans its Euporean fans and Im shocked they are so fair on this one. I guess cheating judges get all in time. Now What.

no generalisations here then? :sheesh:

geez, I'm so flattered. You're *shocked* the euro fans are so fair on this one?? thanks a bunch!

europe is a big place, and we're not all out to kick the yanks, you know. Some of us are just here to appreciate good skating!

k.

euterpe

Medalist
I quite agree. The 5.1 for technical defies explanation. I can understand Sasha being 1st because her spins are exceptional. But if Michelle was deducted for flutzing, Sasha flutzes even worse. Their jump content was identical, and both were clean, with no cheated jumps or double-footing.

OTOH, Arakawa's 3/3 was severely cheated on the toe, and her camel spin was one revolution short. Ando's 3/3 was also slightly underrotated, but a 3Z3L is harder than a 3Z3T, and her spin had the requisite number of rotations. So I do NOT understand how Arakawa was placed ahead of either Ando OR Kwan.

As for judges sending a "message", judges are supposed to judge the SKATING, not the skaters' careers. I hope Kwan gets REALLY mad, because when she's mad, she's a fire-breathing dragon.