Ladies Short - Notes & Results | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Notes & Results

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It depends Soogar. Even if she deserves a medal, we won't know if the judges will allow her to get one.

brenlynn

On the Ice
soogar said:
Forget MK winning the thing, can she medal???

she has a resonable chance of silver or bronze. S&Z did it, so can she. she needs to go out there and put it all on the line like we all know she can, she really has nothing to lose.

i really am not of fan of MK, but this is a shocker - i really hope she can pull up.

jesslily

Final Flight
I am really shocked by Michelle's short program placement. At this point I think it's very hard for her to move up significantly even she will do a superb long program.

soogar

Record Breaker
It seems that they don't want to give her a shot and if Sokolova skates clean for the long, MK might not have a shot. S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition. MK seems to be getting lost with all the jumpers and it seems that Sasha is the annointed one.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
To think that last night I was defending figure skating to someone who said it wasn't a sport. Based on the reports so far, maybe I'll have to agree? I know the CoP should fix this, but based on the Grand Prix this past year, I don't know. If I recall correctly, Sasha received nearly the same number of points for all her long programs when they weren't all equal. If points are decided ahead of time, I don't see how it will be an improvement over the 6.0 system.

This championship is starting to bum me out.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Sorry it took so long, couldn't get connected

Julia Sebestyen HUN Start # 30
Ordinals 4 4 5 56 6 6 6 7 Currently S 6 Overall 5
Ftwrk 3f / 3z2t couldn’t see feet – too close to near boards think clean / flycam is very nice good fly / spirals are good – seem weaker than they really are after Sasha’s / 2a / layback spin with foot to head is a little slow but centered / O ftwrk is very lyrical and matches music with lots of continuous one-foot turns on both feet / combo spin to end goes to beillmann fast up til beillmann – centered all the way.

What an afternoon of skating!!!! If I’m remembering right, there were very few skaters that made more than one mistake in their program !! This worlds is shaping up so well – I’m so glad that I’m here.

FPl. Name Nat. Points QB QA SP FS
1 Sasha COHEN USA 1.0 1 1
2 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 1.6 1 2
3 Miki ANDO JPN 2.6 2 3
4 Michelle KWAN USA 3.6 3 4
5 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 4.8 3 6
6 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 5.4 6 5
7 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 6.8 5 8
8 Fumie SUGURI JPN 7.4 8 7
9 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 7.4 5 9
10 Elena LIASHENKO UKR 7.6 4 10
11 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 9.2 2 14
12 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 9.4 7 11
13 Jennifer ROBINSON CAN 10.2 6 13
14 Susanna POYKIO FIN 10.6 4 15
15 Sarah MEIER SUI 10.8 9 12
16 Jennifer KIRK USA 12.4 7 16
17 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA 13.8 9 17
18 Idora HEGEL CRO 14.6 8 19
19 Miriam MANZANO AUS 15.6 12 18
20 Annette DYTRT GER 16.0 10 20
21 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 17.0 11 21
22 Dan FANG CHN 17.6 11 22
23 Zuzana BABIAKOVA SVK 18.4 10 24
24 Jenna McCORKELL GBR 19.0 13 23
25 Julia LAUTOWA AUT 21.0 15 25
26 Michelle CANTU MEX 21.6 15 26
27 Mojca KOPAC SLO 21.8 14 27
28 Sara FALOTICO BEL 22.0 13 28
29 Daria TIMOSHENKO AZE 22.2 12 29
30 Ji-Eun CHOI KOR 23.6 14 30
31 Diane CHEN TPE 16
31 Gintare VOSTRECOVAITE LTU 16
31 Hristina VASSILEVA BUL 16
34 Karen VENHUIZEN NED 17
35 Jenna-Anne BUYS RSA 18
35 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 18
37 Ksenija JASTSENJSKI SCG 19
37 Lucie KRAUSOVA CZE 19
39 Olga VASSILJEVA EST 20
39 Anna BERNAUER LUX 20
41 Nina BATES BIH 21
41 Keren SHUA HAIM ISR 21

Panther2000

On the Ice
I am Just happy that she skated great. & the People responded. Gold, Silver Bronze, or nothing. She is an amazing skater. She was pleased with her skate & looked great. & That is what matter. Like it has been stated on these boards before. The judging is very iffy at these worlds. That is why the world of sports has no RESPECT for FS at all. FS is the butt of all the jokes. But, No matter what happens with Michelle or Sasha. Just let them have great skates & kick butt. Judging be damned. :D

Go USA

brenlynn

On the Ice
soogar said:
S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition.

well, it used to be MK was head and shoulders above the rest, i guess i'm just not used to this yet lol.

i think MK better do GPF events next season if she plans on serisouly going for the gold in 2006 - i think that has really hurt her. she hasn't competed against these girls at numerous competitions since worlds last year, and some of them this is the 1st time up against. to keep up with everyone, she really needs to do the GP circuit next season.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
brenlynn said:
i think MK better do GPF events next season if she plans on serisouly going for the gold in 2006 - i think that has really hurt her.

Grand Prix. I wondered about this last year, but it didn't appear to be an issue. This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.

euterpe

Medalist
soogar said:
It seems that they don't want to give her a shot and if Sokolova skates clean for the long, MK might not have a shot. S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition. MK seems to be getting lost with all the jumpers and it seems that Sasha is the annointed one.

Sokolova is dead in the water after her disastrous SP. She is sitting back in 11th and no matter what she does, she will have no impact on Kwan's placement.

Sasha is not any more of a jumper than Kwan is. She had the exact same jump content in her SP as Michelle. And Sasha's flutz is second only to Sarah Hughes' flutz in severity.

What is questionable is the judging. Arakawa's 3/3 was severely cheated on the second jump, and her camel spin was short one rotation. This was supposed to be a TECHNICAL program. Arakawa should have received deductions and should not be in 2nd place. Kwan received a technical 5.1 for no apparent reason, as she skated very cleanly.

soogar

Record Breaker
I agree with you , the ISU probably wants to encourage the top skaters to skate in their events so they can make that money. However I think that with this system (thank goodness it's on its way out), the judges need to be familiar with all the skaters so they have an idea where to place them. If MK had skated and won Grand Prix events, they would have known where to mark her in relation to everyone else.

I also have the feeling that the judges want to reward Sasha Cohen with a world title. There is no doubt that her skating is exemplary and even with the falls in previous programs, Sasha always pulled great marks. Now that she's skating her programs clean, they're going to give the championship to her.

euterpe

Medalist
tharrtell said:
This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.

The judges are supposed to judge a technical program by its content---that is all. Judging based on anything else except that is bad judging, political judging, biased judging, or whatever else you want to call it.

jesslily

Final Flight
Not doing Grand Prix for three years really hurts Michelle skating career. And also this year she looked a bit wider than before. Sometimes just a few pounds of weight gaining can slow your jumping ability greatly. 3/3 toe she could do before, but it is not in her program this year. Because she hasn't been to any grand prix, she lost the opportunity to get feedback on her two programs from international judges. There are ways to do things wisely, but never a shortcut.

soogar

Record Breaker
Sokolova can have a big impact if her program beats MK's program, as can Fumie. Those ladies are far in the back but they have the technical merit to beat MK and move her down a spot. They might not be in it for a medal but placements are what matter. I think Sasha pretty much has it in the bag as long as she holds her nerves together and stands her program up.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
It depends Soogar. Even if she deserves a medal, we won't know if the judges will allow her to get one.

not one to scream conspiracy... but it looks like north American skaters are really getting docked for good skates... I know I may still sound "bitter" from the Pairs SPs... but really I mean... from what I've been reading some of these scores are just weird!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
eyria said:
The judging doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Sasha had the same jump content as Michelle, yet is 3 places higher than her.

I would say that Sasha is higher than Michelle, because Sasha won her QR and Michelle was third. Also Sasha performed a really great interpretation for Malaguena and her skating looked just wonderful. The Japanese skaters are ahead of Michelle because they gave good, solid performances with a triple-triple combination. Sasha won over them because of her presentation. Oh, and Arakawa won a QR also.

Marjaana

mzheng

Record Breaker
I was listen to EuroSport. According to C/S's commenting they would have it in SP

1. Sasha
2/3. Michelle/Ando. Prefer Kwan much mature and artistry, but could see Ando got ahead.

4. Carolina K.
5. Arakawa, she had a few manditory deductions judge forgot taken, short of one rotation in one of her spin, the lip in flip. etc.

I agree with Panther2000.

I'm a Kwan fan, but I also love Arakawa's skating. I was very depressed. But such is a life. When MK stepped off the ice meet with RA sounds like MK and RA were both happy with her performance, that's all that mattered.

When S&Z down the 4th after the SP, all I had hoped was they skates all their heart out LP, just prove to the world what a great champion they are. And they did. And I'm very happy for them.

Now I had the same hope for MK. Skates all your heart out, just show world what a great champion that your are. No matter what place she is in, I'm always cheer for her.

Go Michelle!!!!

euterpe

Medalist
Winning the QR should have nothing to do with the marking in the SP.

The SP is supposed to be judged based on the technical content and the performance. Sasha and Michelle had the exact same technical content and both skated cleanly and with high energy.

Arakawa did a 3Z3T, but the second jump was severely underrotated. Instant replay showed it to be underrotated by a 1/2 turn. She also was missing a full rotation on her camel spin. She should have received deductions for these but her scores and placement reflect none.

Since when is a cheated 3/3 superior to a fully rotated 3/2? Since when is it OK to cut short a required spin before completing the mandatory number of rotations?