Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short - Notes & Results

Custom Title
    Forget MK winning the thing, can she medal???

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    It depends Soogar. Even if she deserves a medal, we won't know if the judges will allow her to get one.

Originally posted by soogar
    Forget MK winning the thing, can she medal???
    she has a resonable chance of silver or bronze. S&Z did it, so can she. she needs to go out there and put it all on the line like we all know she can, she really has nothing to lose.

i really am not of fan of MK, but this is a shocker - i really hope she can pull up.

Ice Angel
    I am really shocked by Michelle's short program placement. At this point I think it's very hard for her to move up significantly even she will do a superb long program.

Custom Title
    It seems that they don't want to give her a shot and if Sokolova skates clean for the long, MK might not have a shot. S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition. MK seems to be getting lost with all the jumpers and it seems that Sasha is the annointed one.

TriGirl Rinkside
    To think that last night I was defending figure skating to someone who said it wasn't a sport. Based on the reports so far, maybe I'll have to agree? I know the CoP should fix this, but based on the Grand Prix this past year, I don't know. If I recall correctly, Sasha received nearly the same number of points for all her long programs when they weren't all equal. If points are decided ahead of time, I don't see how it will be an improvement over the 6.0 system.

This championship is starting to bum me out.

Custom Title
    Sorry it took so long, couldn't get connected

Julia Sebestyen HUN Start # 30
    Ordinals 4 4 5 56 6 6 6 7 Currently S 6 Overall 5
    Ftwrk 3f / 3z2t couldn’t see feet – too close to near boards think clean / flycam is very nice good fly / spirals are good – seem weaker than they really are after Sasha’s / 2a / layback spin with foot to head is a little slow but centered / O ftwrk is very lyrical and matches music with lots of continuous one-foot turns on both feet / combo spin to end goes to beillmann fast up til beillmann – centered all the way.

What an afternoon of skating!!!! If I’m remembering right, there were very few skaters that made more than one mistake in their program !! This worlds is shaping up so well – I’m so glad that I’m here.

FPl. Name Nat. Points QB QA SP FS
    1 Sasha COHEN USA 1.0 1 1
    2 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 1.6 1 2
    3 Miki ANDO JPN 2.6 2 3
    4 Michelle KWAN USA 3.6 3 4
    5 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 4.8 3 6
    6 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 5.4 6 5
    7 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 6.8 5 8
    8 Fumie SUGURI JPN 7.4 8 7
    9 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 7.4 5 9
    10 Elena LIASHENKO UKR 7.6 4 10
    11 Elena SOKOLOVA RUS 9.2 2 14
    12 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 9.4 7 11
    13 Jennifer ROBINSON CAN 10.2 6 13
    14 Susanna POYKIO FIN 10.6 4 15
    15 Sarah MEIER SUI 10.8 9 12
    16 Jennifer KIRK USA 12.4 7 16
    17 Anne Sophie CALVEZ FRA 13.8 9 17
    18 Idora HEGEL CRO 14.6 8 19
    19 Miriam MANZANO AUS 15.6 12 18
    20 Annette DYTRT GER 16.0 10 20
    21 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 17.0 11 21
    22 Dan FANG CHN 17.6 11 22
    23 Zuzana BABIAKOVA SVK 18.4 10 24
    24 Jenna McCORKELL GBR 19.0 13 23
    25 Julia LAUTOWA AUT 21.0 15 25
    26 Michelle CANTU MEX 21.6 15 26
    27 Mojca KOPAC SLO 21.8 14 27
    28 Sara FALOTICO BEL 22.0 13 28
    29 Daria TIMOSHENKO AZE 22.2 12 29
    30 Ji-Eun CHOI KOR 23.6 14 30
    31 Diane CHEN TPE 16
    31 Gintare VOSTRECOVAITE LTU 16
    31 Hristina VASSILEVA BUL 16
    34 Karen VENHUIZEN NED 17
    35 Jenna-Anne BUYS RSA 18
    35 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 18
    37 Ksenija JASTSENJSKI SCG 19
    37 Lucie KRAUSOVA CZE 19
    39 Olga VASSILJEVA EST 20
    39 Anna BERNAUER LUX 20
    41 Nina BATES BIH 21
    41 Keren SHUA HAIM ISR 21

Thumbs up

I am Just happy that she skated great. & the People responded. Gold, Silver Bronze, or nothing. She is an amazing skater. She was pleased with her skate & looked great. & That is what matter. Like it has been stated on these boards before. The judging is very iffy at these worlds. That is why the world of sports has no RESPECT for FS at all. FS is the butt of all the jokes. But, No matter what happens with Michelle or Sasha. Just let them have great skates & kick butt. Judging be damned. :D

Go USA

Tripping on the Podium
    Do you know the LP entries?

S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition.
    well, it used to be MK was head and shoulders above the rest, i guess i'm just not used to this yet lol.

i think MK better do GPF events next season if she plans on serisouly going for the gold in 2006 - i think that has really hurt her. she hasn't competed against these girls at numerous competitions since worlds last year, and some of them this is the 1st time up against. to keep up with everyone, she really needs to do the GP circuit next season.

TriGirl Rinkside
    Originally posted by brenlynn
    i think MK better do GPF events next season if she plans on serisouly going for the gold in 2006 - i think that has really hurt her.
    Grand Prix. I wondered about this last year, but it didn't appear to be an issue. This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.

Custom Title
    It seems that they don't want to give her a shot and if Sokolova skates clean for the long, MK might not have a shot. S&Z are different than MK: they are head and shoulders above the competition. MK seems to be getting lost with all the jumpers and it seems that Sasha is the annointed one.
    Sokolova is dead in the water after her disastrous SP. She is sitting back in 11th and no matter what she does, she will have no impact on Kwan's placement.

Sasha is not any more of a jumper than Kwan is. She had the exact same jump content in her SP as Michelle. And Sasha's flutz is second only to Sarah Hughes' flutz in severity.

What is questionable is the judging. Arakawa's 3/3 was severely cheated on the second jump, and her camel spin was short one rotation. This was supposed to be a TECHNICAL program. Arakawa should have received deductions and should not be in 2nd place. Kwan received a technical 5.1 for no apparent reason, as she skated very cleanly.

Custom Title
    I agree with you , the ISU probably wants to encourage the top skaters to skate in their events so they can make that money. However I think that with this system (thank goodness it's on its way out), the judges need to be familiar with all the skaters so they have an idea where to place them. If MK had skated and won Grand Prix events, they would have known where to mark her in relation to everyone else.

I also have the feeling that the judges want to reward Sasha Cohen with a world title. There is no doubt that her skating is exemplary and even with the falls in previous programs, Sasha always pulled great marks. Now that she's skating her programs clean, they're going to give the championship to her.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.

The judges are supposed to judge a technical program by its content---that is all. Judging based on anything else except that is bad judging, political judging, biased judging, or whatever else you want to call it.

Ice Angel
    Not doing Grand Prix for three years really hurts Michelle skating career. And also this year she looked a bit wider than before. Sometimes just a few pounds of weight gaining can slow your jumping ability greatly. 3/3 toe she could do before, but it is not in her program this year. Because she hasn't been to any grand prix, she lost the opportunity to get feedback on her two programs from international judges. There are ways to do things wisely, but never a shortcut.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast