Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short - Notes & Results

Custom Title
    Sokolova can have a big impact if her program beats MK's program, as can Fumie. Those ladies are far in the back but they have the technical merit to beat MK and move her down a spot. They might not be in it for a medal but placements are what matter. I think Sasha pretty much has it in the bag as long as she holds her nerves together and stands her program up.

Originally posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    It depends Soogar. Even if she deserves a medal, we won't know if the judges will allow her to get one.
    not one to scream conspiracy... but it looks like north American skaters are really getting docked for good skates... I know I may still sound "bitter" from the Pairs SPs... but really I mean... from what I've been reading some of these scores are just weird!

Custom Title
    Originally posted by eyria
    [B]The judging doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Sasha had the same jump content as Michelle, yet is 3 places higher than her.
    I would say that Sasha is higher than Michelle, because Sasha won her QR and Michelle was third. Also Sasha performed a really great interpretation for Malaguena and her skating looked just wonderful. The Japanese skaters are ahead of Michelle because they gave good, solid performances with a triple-triple combination. Sasha won over them because of her presentation. Oh, and Arakawa won a QR also.

Marjaana

Custom Title
    I was listen to EuroSport. According to C/S's commenting they would have it in SP

1. Sasha
    2/3. Michelle/Ando. Prefer Kwan much mature and artistry, but could see Ando got ahead.

4. Carolina K.
    5. Arakawa, she had a few manditory deductions judge forgot taken, short of one rotation in one of her spin, the lip in flip. etc.

I agree with Panther2000.

I'm a Kwan fan, but I also love Arakawa's skating. I was very depressed. But such is a life. When MK stepped off the ice meet with RA sounds like MK and RA were both happy with her performance, that's all that mattered.

When S&Z down the 4th after the SP, all I had hoped was they skates all their heart out LP, just prove to the world what a great champion they are. And they did. And I'm very happy for them.

Now I had the same hope for MK. Skates all your heart out, just show world what a great champion that your are. No matter what place she is in, I'm always cheer for her.

Go Michelle!!!!

Custom Title
    Winning the QR should have nothing to do with the marking in the SP.

The SP is supposed to be judged based on the technical content and the performance. Sasha and Michelle had the exact same technical content and both skated cleanly and with high energy.

Arakawa did a 3Z3T, but the second jump was severely underrotated. Instant replay showed it to be underrotated by a 1/2 turn. She also was missing a full rotation on her camel spin. She should have received deductions for these but her scores and placement reflect none.

Since when is a cheated 3/3 superior to a fully rotated 3/2? Since when is it OK to cut short a required spin before completing the mandatory number of rotations?

Originally posted by Tonichelle
    not one to scream conspiracy... but it looks like north American skaters are really getting docked for good skates... I know I may still sound "bitter" from the Pairs SPs... but really I mean... from what I've been reading some of these scores are just weird!
    I can't see how this is a nationalistic thing - how do you explain Sasha's marks?

I do, however, wonder if Arakawa's mark isn't a Tarasova thing....

k

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Has it always been this bad???

This is the first year I have tuned in to the entire competition through the Web and audio Eurosport, so of course I'm getting WAY more information about not only all the performances, but zillions of opinions and commentary about all the performances.

Of course I've always been aware of suspect judging just from watching on TV. Of course that culminated with the SLC debacle.

For those of you have always had more TV coverage and/or have utilized the Web and other sources in the past, has the judging ALWAYS been this suspect? It just seems like there is LOTS of propping up and holding down possibly going on. Can't wait for more opinions from those who are there.

I'm a huge believer that judging should be based on the RULES for crying out loud (i.e. mandatory deductions are mandatory deductions) and based on the performance on the day.

I'm sad to realize that the FIRST thoughts that came to mind as I was listening to the commentary on Michelle's performance before/after was 1) Punishment for no Grand Prix and 2) Punishment for not upping her own ante (i.e. 3/3's) in awhile.

I couldn't believe Ando had a 6 ordinal after her skate, and I equally couldn't believe Michelle had a 5.1 for technical after her skate.

I'm beginning to wonder why any of these competitors would devote their life to this if this is the judging one has to contend with. I would sure love to hear first hand why some of these judges gave the marks and placements they did. Maybe there is a rational explanation for some of it. I'm sure not seeing it at this point.

DG

Custom Title
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    Grand Prix. I wondered about this last year, but it didn't appear to be an issue. This year, I'ma thinking the judges are sending Kwan a message that she's got to play they whole game. She can't just show up for the big events and expect to win without paying her dues during the rest of the season. I think that if she really want Torino in 2006, she's got to commit now and really focus for the next two years. It's a long haul - very long - but if one more chance at the Oly gold is that important to her, the sacrafices will be worth it. I personally can't imagine keeping motivated after all these years, but if she wants it that badly, it'll become a priority.
    I agree. But doing the whole thing still depends how her body going to hold up. She has said in her interviews that the consistant 3/3 depends on if her body can sustain the impact. Same as you, I can't imagine she keeping the motivation after all those years. You just don't know how much she has been going through this season emotionally and physically.

She dose not need any more titles, OGM or not dose not affect her place in the hearts of her fans. As for her haters even with 3 OGMs would not make them love her.

Here is to a great performance from Kween in LP!!

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by eyria
    The judging doesn't seem to be consistent at all. Sasha had the same jump content as Michelle, yet is 3 places higher than her. If the judges wanted to penalize Michelle for doing the triple/double instead of a triple/triple, then fine. But in that case, they should penalize Sasha as well. Maybe Michelle's placement is correct, but in that case, Sasha should be marked similarly and be in third, not first.

From what I've read and seen so far, I think a lot of the judging this year at Worlds has been questionable. All I can say is I'm glad this will probably be the last year for the old system.
    Well, I think when Sasha is on, her presentation is better than Michelle's - across the board - better spins, better spirals, better in-betweens and better speed. I think Sasha is incomparable in those facets of skating (except for speed). I think the Japanese ladies needed the 3-3's to beat Michelle. Ando did a very difficult 3Z-3l, Michelle and Sasha both did the 3Z-2t, which is much easier. Ando should be awarded for the difficult combo. Without seeing the programs, it's really hard to judge and reports say Michelle had a serious flutz.

Custom Title
    I heard on another board that the Referee Jan Hoffmann told the USFSA that Michelle got a .1 deduction on each mark because her program was two seconds over the 2 min 40 sec.

I am glad that the ISU are such sticklers for accuracy. But why, then, didn't they deduct Arakawa for missing a rotation on her camel spin and underrotating her 3/3?

BTW, Sasha's flutz is FAR more severe than Kwan's could ever be.

TriGirl Rinkside
    Originally posted by mzheng
    She dose not need any more titles, OGM or not dose not affect her place in the hearts of her fans.
    mzheng, I totally agree - I don't think she needs any more titles. However, I'm not sure she believes that. I was watching the SLC short last night, and her response to her marks was that of a woman who very much wants an Oly gold. She was disappointed with her tech marks and was talking to the air 'Come on, come on,' urging the presentation marks to be shown. There was a fierce look on her face which relaxed only slightly when she realized she was in first. She wants that gold, IMO. Why would she consider Torino otherwise? Yes, I know she says she loves to compete, and I believe that; however, elite skating is such a huge committment that I cannot see sticking out two long years if the gold wasn't really important to her. That said, I would be so trilled if she were able to do it.

Custom Title
    I heard in other day from EuroSport that ISU promise investigate the 4.9 for Mike Weiss in his SP sometimes after the competetion. Will they do the same for MK?

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by tharrtell
    mzheng, I totally agree - I don't think she needs any more titles. However, I'm not sure she believes that. I was watching the SLC short last night, and her response to her marks was that of a woman who very much wants an Oly gold. She was disappointed with her tech marks and was talking to the air 'Come on, come on,' urging the presentation marks to be shown. There was a fierce look on her face which relaxed only slightly when she realized she was in first. She wants that gold, IMO. Why would she consider Torino otherwise? Yes, I know she says she loves to compete, and I believe that; however, elite skating is such a huge committment that I cannot see sticking out two long years if the gold wasn't really important to her. That said, I would be so trilled if she were able to do it.
    A gold medal is IMPORTANT to ALL skaters. And Michelle, as diplomatic as she is, wants that gold. Besides a good skates, it is what everyone is training for is a performance to win over the rest. No one go in a competition and think, geez wouldn't it be nice to just get a medal or wouldn't it be nice if I get second or third.

TriGirl Rinkside
    Originally posted by rpiche
    A gold medal is IMPORTANT to ALL skaters.
    rpiche - That was my point, only more succinctly put. I've heard people say that the gold isn't important to MK. My point is that it is very important even though she might try to imply otherwise. She wouldn't still be here if it weren't. She's competitive, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Tripping on the Podium
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your meaning.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast