Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 110

Thread: Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212

    Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

    She said this on twitter in French, here's the translated version:

    He had gold on a silver platter. Instead he took the tray.
    I wonder if there will be any backlash against her, or if people will gang up on Chan?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

    Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze

  3. #3
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,652
    Meh. They both tried their best. It is what it is. This tweet is not news.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    161
    Rochette totally earned the bronze in 2010. she had a great short and a great long, with one minor stepout on the long. Asada had more mistakes than Joannie, and Mirai is/was not worthy of an olympic medal.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Meh. They both tried their best. It is what it is. This tweet is not news.
    She is getting a lot of backlash now. Canadians were very supportive of her in 2010 when her mom died. Now she's the first to stab the knife in Chan's back when he failed.

  6. #6
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    654
    Jeez, that just seems nasty. :(

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    The only thing I will say against Chan...his attitude brings some of this on him. If you're going to be arrogant like him, you better be able to back it up.

  8. #8
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,556
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

    Joannie's situation was different b/c she had no shot at winning gold but she did have a shot at bronze and she delivered enough to win that. Some people don't like to hear the truth b/c it hurts but the truth is after the way Yuzuru skated in the FS, it was Chan's gold medal to lose and he lost it.

  9. #9
    Always Believed! Sk8n Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    520
    Nobody is talking about her follow up tweets after that, where she says only really nice things about Patrick.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No.
    Just because something is factual, doesn't make it acceptable. Here is a test for whether was you are saying is appropriate - can you say it to their face? Would Joannie ever have the gall to walk up to Patrick, the moment he stepped off the ice, and say:

    "Patrick, you were given gold on a silver platter, but you took the tray"

    Would she say that? Maybe, perhaps Joannie is a horrible person, I don't know, but her comment was nasty and it's ridiculous to defend it because "it's accurate."

    Imagine if we applied this accuracy standard to the real world:

    Your friend studied endlessly for that college final and bombed it because they were nervous - "Well, you only have yourself to blame, you should control your nerves."

    Your sister got a horrible haircut - response: "you look awful"

    Your father lost out on a promotion - response "you should have worked harder."

    All of these might be true, but none of them should be said.

  11. #11
    ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.
    This. I really don't understand the backlash she has received. She just acknowledged what happened.

    And it's not like she has done so in a deliberately mean and nasty way.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

    Joannie's situation was different b/c she had no shot at winning gold but she did have a shot at bronze and she delivered enough to win that. Some people don't like to hear the truth b/c it hurts but the truth is after the way Yuzuru skated in the FS, it was Chan's gold medal to lose and he lost it.
    Joannie actually had a good shot at silver. Had she not had one of her two big mistakes in the LP she would have beaten Mao who also had two big mistakes but 3 triple axels to give her the edge. Remember she lost silver by something like less than 3 points. Given the circumstances though it is hard to fault her for that though.

    Going into Vancouver Mao was no lock for the silver ahead of Miki, Joannie, and Carolina though based on her showing at the 2009 Worlds and skating that season, and she in fact pulled off an amazing competition in Vancouver all things considered.

  13. #13
    Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    146
    Merci Joannie, Well said.

  14. #14
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    She is getting a lot of backlash now. Canadians were very supportive of her in 2010 when her mom died. Now she's the first to stab the knife in Chan's back when he failed.
    No, she's not.

    It's almost as if you want some drama and backlash to happen.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    No, she's not.

    It's almost as if you want some drama and backlash to happen.
    What are you talking about? She got negative tweets back and was starting to backtrack on her statement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •