Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Joannie's Facebook comments to him have been very supportive.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    She said this on twitter in French, here's the translated version:

I wonder if there will be any backlash against her, or if people will gang up on Chan?
    What a bitchy thing to say. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    He was pretty humble today. Joanne at least he got silver..
    Well, Patrick Chan said this today:

"I think I'll still be the best skater in the world for some time."

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post

I think he's got to stop saying things like that, because it does make him sound a bit arrogant.
    I see no lies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Again: Do you realise what the word 'squared' actually means? It doesn't mean 'times two.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I've pointed that out the poster in question before, but he insists on trying to make that nickname happen.
    While it may not be mathematically accurate, the use of the initial + the word 'squared' is a pretty common way of referring to people or couples who have the same initials. I've seen it used in cases where one person has both initials the same, in cases where someone has a hyphenated last name with both names starting with the same initial, and in cases where two people in a couple have the same initial. I first encountered this in 1989 when one of my university professors had a hyphenated last name with both starting with H, and he was referred to in the department as H squared. So I don't see this as something Skater Boy is truing to force or make stick. Saying S squared is more natural to my ear than saying S/S

Maybe it's less common in some regions than in others.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Again: Do you realise what the word 'squared' actually means? It doesn't mean 'times two.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I've pointed that out the poster in question before, but he insists on trying to make that nickname happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by peg View Post
    While it may not be mathematically accurate, the use of the initial + the word 'squared' is a pretty common way of referring to people or couples who have the same initials. I've seen it used in cases where one person has both initials the same, in cases where someone has a hyphenated last name with both names starting with the same initial, and in cases where two people in a couple have the same initial. I first encountered this in 1989 when one of my university professors had a hyphenated last name with both starting with H, and he was referred to in the department as H squared. So I don't see this as something Skater Boy is truing to force or make stick. Saying S squared is more natural to my ear than saying S/S

In the U.S., what peg says is absolutely true.

And I too know what x2 means mathematically. Nonetheless, regarding common usage, peg still is correct.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia_ View Post
    I see no lies.
    His PCS margin over Hanyu, which is a good measure of who is the best skater, is very slim even when both make mistakes. Yes, he's the best but it could change soon.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze
    Wow! Are you ever mean.....not true

Custom Title

Man, he really does not want any fans does he? LOL.

Custom Title
    Patrick is right that he's the best skater in the world. And it happens that the best skater is not certainly winning every competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    Patrick is right that he's the best skater in the world. And it happens that the best skater is not certainly winning every competition.
    Maybe, but isn't this something that is best acknowledged by other people and not himself? I get that he's going for "confident", but (at least for me) he comes across as arrogant instead.

Custom Title
    Who cares if you're the best skater if you can't pull yourself together.

Custom Title

I can't argue with him as of now, although I might say "among the best" - always wise to be careful wit these things - but does this mean he will continue to skate competitively too? I would be very pleased if this were so!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Who cares if you're the best skater if you can't pull yourself together.
    Exactly. And what did he expected, a gold medal with a dancing "coach"? What a joke . He is lucky to get a "silver platter". It's not a Canadian curse, it's a dumb decision go to Olympics with no real coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by peg View Post

Thanks for pointing this out. It also sounds better to say "S squared" than it would to say "two-S" or "S twice." I have a friend who writes her name in that style because her first and last name begin with the same initial, and she writes it with the "2" as an exponent (superscript) rather than aligned with the letter N. (I can't paste one in, but you all know what I mean.)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast