Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Ven

Match Penalty
She said this on twitter in French, here's the translated version:

He had gold on a silver platter. Instead he took the tray.

I wonder if there will be any backlash against her, or if people will gang up on Chan?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
Rochette got a pity bronze

daphna

On the Ice
Rochette totally earned the bronze in 2010. she had a great short and a great long, with one minor stepout on the long. Asada had more mistakes than Joannie, and Mirai is/was not worthy of an olympic medal.

Ven

Match Penalty
Meh. They both tried their best. It is what it is. This tweet is not news.

She is getting a lot of backlash now. Canadians were very supportive of her in 2010 when her mom died. Now she's the first to stab the knife in Chan's back when he failed.

Ven

Match Penalty
The only thing I will say against Chan...his attitude brings some of this on him. If you're going to be arrogant like him, you better be able to back it up.

desertskates

Medalist
The only thing I will say against Chan...his attitude brings some of this on him. If you're going to be arrogant like him, you better be able to back it up.
Very true. And for all we know, he may have kicked Joannie's puppy or something like that in the past.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Well is there any untruth to what she said? No. :sarcasm: The fact of the matter is with Yuzuru's sub par performance today, that gold medal was on the platter for Chan to take and he didn't take it.

Joannie's situation was different b/c she had no shot at winning gold but she did have a shot at bronze and she delivered enough to win that. Some people don't like to hear the truth b/c it hurts but the truth is after the way Yuzuru skated in the FS, it was Chan's gold medal to lose and he lost it.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Nobody is talking about her follow up tweets after that, where she says only really nice things about Patrick.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Didn't Chan saying something after Honyu beat him at the GP final to the effect that he let him win because the Olympics was more important? I like Chan's skating but he is so arrogant that I am glad he denied himself the chance to grab the gold. The thought of that ego running amok for the next four years until someone else won Oly gold was sickening. Pride in what you do is one thing, thinking you are hot s**t is another.

vegarin

On the Ice
Ugh, I do feel bad for him, especially reading his post-interview where he apologized for missing the gold and said he tried his best. :(

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So is Patrick retiring?

I also asked this in his Fan fest
he is already 23, it might be hard going for another quad, just look at Daisuke, not everyone can be a Plushenko that has longevity
by then Chan will be 26 in 2018

also the upcomers have more stable quads and more complete packaging
you have a 19 year old Yuzu who will be trying to defend his oGM in 2018, Han Yan, show man Jason, Max Aaron etc.

I'd cut Joannie some slack for her comment. In the heat of the moment, she may just be expressing existential Canadian frustration that the silver curse is still active, especially since this was the best chance for gold that a Canadian man had had in a long time. In 1994, when Stojko could have been judged the winner, he was up against a formidable competitor, Urmanov, who did skate exceedingly well. In 1988--well, Brian B. skated the program of his life. In 1984, Scott's advantage in school figures was the deciding factor. Even back in 1976, when one could argue that Toller Cranston was one of the two best skaters in the world, he started way back in the rankings after his school figures. Besides, John Curry was at the peak of his powers. But Hanyu's long program this time was eminently beatable--yet it still didn't happen.

Krislite

Medalist
He couldn't stand the pressure of being the favorite. He had a wide open door after Hanyu's mistakes, he had his big reputation and 3 world titles and in the end he couldn't deliver when it mattered most. Sad for him really...*sigh*

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think Joanie couldn't resist the cute statement which actually described the situation well. But the timing and the public nature make her seem somewhat insensitive.