Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Joannie Rochette calls out Patrick Chan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    So is Patrick retiring?
    I also asked this in his Fan fest
    he is already 23, it might be hard going for another quad, just look at Daisuke, not everyone can be a Plushenko that has longevity
    by then Chan will be 26 in 2018

also the upcomers have more stable quads and more complete packaging
    you have a 19 year old Yuzu who will be trying to defend his oGM in 2018, Han Yan, show man Jason, Max Aaron etc.

#TeamAUS
    So close canada.

Custom Title
    I'd cut Joannie some slack for her comment. In the heat of the moment, she may just be expressing existential Canadian frustration that the silver curse is still active, especially since this was the best chance for gold that a Canadian man had had in a long time. In 1994, when Stojko could have been judged the winner, he was up against a formidable competitor, Urmanov, who did skate exceedingly well. In 1988--well, Brian B. skated the program of his life. In 1984, Scott's advantage in school figures was the deciding factor. Even back in 1976, when one could argue that Toller Cranston was one of the two best skaters in the world, he started way back in the rankings after his school figures. Besides, John Curry was at the peak of his powers. But Hanyu's long program this time was eminently beatable--yet it still didn't happen.

He couldn't stand the pressure of being the favorite. He had a wide open door after Hanyu's mistakes, he had his big reputation and 3 world titles and in the end he couldn't deliver when it mattered most. Sad for him really...*sigh*

Custom Title
    I think Joanie couldn't resist the cute statement which actually described the situation well. But the timing and the public nature make her seem somewhat insensitive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze
    So you're saying Chan didn't deserve to win 2011 Worlds and Rochette didn't deserve to beat Mirai. Typical Anti-Canadian.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think Joanie couldn't resist the cute statement which actually described the situation well. But the timing and the public nature make her seem somewhat insensitive.
    Agree. She didn't exactly claim the silver platter herself when Mao served it up, and she left out a 2A and stepped out of her 3F.

Custom Title
    also the upcomers have more stable quads and more complete packaging
    you have a 19 year old Yuzu who will be trying to defend his oGM in 2018, Han Yan, show man Jason, Max Aaron etc.
    Who are you referring to? Chan was one of the only skaters to land a quad in the men's SP and FS.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well is there any untruth to what she said? No.
    Just because something is factual, doesn't make it acceptable. Here is a test for whether was you are saying is appropriate - can you say it to their face? Would Joannie ever have the gall to walk up to Patrick, the moment he stepped off the ice, and say:

"Patrick, you were given gold on a silver platter, but you took the tray"

Would she say that? Maybe, perhaps Joannie is a horrible person, I don't know, but her comment was nasty and it's ridiculous to defend it because "it's accurate."

Imagine if we applied this accuracy standard to the real world:

Your friend studied endlessly for that college final and bombed it because they were nervous - "Well, you only have yourself to blame, you should control your nerves."

Your sister got a horrible haircut - response: "you look awful"

Your father lost out on a promotion - response "you should have worked harder."

All of these might be true, but none of them should be said.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Agree. She didn't exactly claim the silver platter herself when Mao served it up, and she left out a 2A and stepped out of her 3F.
    To be fair to Joannie, Mao also landed two rarified 3A before that, so it's not as of Mao was that easy to beat. And Joannie wasn't as much a strong contender as Chan was, so she was not necessarily in Chan's shoe in 2010 - maybe more like Dennis, looking at Hanyu/Chan-esque Yuna/Mao at the time.

Sometimes it is bad timing. If the Olympics was at 2011, then Chan would've peaked at the right time. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    Would Joannie ever have the gall to walk up to Patrick, the moment he stepped off the ice, and say:

"Patrick, you were given gold on a silver platter, but you took the tray"
    Actually, she just might, if they were good friends:

"Patrick, I could just go upside your head! They gave you the gold on a silver tray but you took the tray!"

As for little sister's haircut, best to say, "No, dear" as you reach for the shears.

On the Ice
    they are the same, both did not win gold, so no hypocrites there

Chan got OSM after bad karma for 3 consecutive undeserved World titles - and thus falling into the "Canadian curse" list
    Rochette got a pity bronze
    Absolute BS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Who are you referring to? Chan was one of the only skaters to land a quad in the men's SP and FS.
    Chan isn't getting any younger, and he aint a Plushenko that's for sure

Custom Title
    It is a pretty funny/witty statement though! (I say this as a big Patrick fan, as disappointed/empathetic for him as anyone).
    I almost imagine that he'd be the type to come around and say something similar about himself, some time later..
    And it's not as though she is phoning him up an giving him that kind of taunt (or is she?, haha), or trashing him publicly in an interview on Canadian National TV news, or something. It's heat-of-the-moment sports commentary, emotional, venting, arrrggghhhh! type of moment.

Custom Title
    I really feel sorry for Patrick. I know many - including a lot here - pan him for his comments but I wonder how many of them have mean intent or if he just doesn't think before he speaks. We all know people like that and there are many, including Joannie apparently who should have kept her mouth shut, who have the same hoof in mouth disease. Patrick did blow it - but it bothers me that someone who falls and has a bad skate can still win the gold medal. Personally I find Patrick's skating more pleasing than Hanyu's. He doesn't have good posture, he doesn't have a good line, but he has big jumps. And he won.

It is what it is - like someone said up thread. I'm sure he feels terrible.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast